The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

9 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Players get put out down a man because they're trusted. They don't just put guys out there in that scenario willy nilly.

No, it's tweener, mid 6 money. Just like I stated.

There is no doubt Green trusts him. I know why he is out there. That doesn't change the fact that scoring 9 empty net points sort of makes that "career offensive season" a bit misleading. 

2 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There is no doubt Green trusts him. I know why he is out there. That doesn't change the fact that scoring 9 empty net points sort of makes that "career offensive season" a bit misleading. 

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Why can't both be true?

It's quite likely (perhaps even obvious, if you look at his scoring history through his career) that last year was likely a peak... And that this year has been a valley.

Neither likely represents a new 'normal'.

A couple of the top teams in the league might hit 82 points this year.

Benning's teams have hit this mark just once in 7 seasons, twice if you prorate last year season. And the roster that did it the first time is essentially all gone.

So 2 times in 7 tries have we been able to surpass what the top teams are doing in 2/3rds of a season.

Someone Created Meme Bath Bombs And Now I Need Them All | Blinking guy  meme, Funny reaction pictures, Cool gifs

:)

On 5/7/2021 at 6:41 AM, IBatch said:

The 7 year thing is just a way for JB haters to use for shock value.   Every fan, including the ones posting that, should or does know we were re-tooling, the same way Detroit did (and failed finally) for years, the same way SJ did for years and succeeding until recently.  Our re-tool ended in 2017 when Burrows and Hansen were sent packing (and waived to do it).   Sure one could frame it differently, but that's what management said they were doing around the Sedins last contract, and that's what they did.   Yes it prolonged things, but it allowed us to bottom out too once they could trade these guys (Bieksa too).   

so if our rebuild only started in 2017-2018.. then wth are all the contracts like beagle rousell ferland we signed?? those doesn't look like the type of players you sign on a rebuilding team.. and 2 years into a "rebuild" we are trading away assets/draft capital to push for a playoff already? that's an awfully short rebuild.. and then 1 year later.. oh the rebuild is not done.. ok?? then by the time the rebuild is done Miller is gonna be 30 and likely see a decrease or decline.. then why the hell did we trade for a player that would not fit into the time line if we are still "rebuilding"?

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

so if our rebuild only started in 2017-2018.. then wth are all the contracts like beagle rousell ferland we signed?? those doesn't look like the type of players you sign on a rebuilding team.. and 2 years into a "rebuild" we are trading away assets/draft capital to push for a playoff already? that's an awfully short rebuild.. and then 1 year later.. oh the rebuild is not done.. ok?? then by the time the rebuild is done Miller is gonna be 30 and likely see a decrease or decline.. then why the hell did we trade for a player that would not fit into the time line if we are still "rebuilding"?

It is difficult to see any real thought process being put to work here. LOL

There are people on this site that would like us to think that we are just not smart enough to understand the depth of what Jim is doing . None of us have the hockey IQ to understand the complexity of what this management has accomplished. 

:frantic:

Right "Agent".

• Cheers 1

Was he selected by the owner to be a GM because he used to play for the Canucks as a defense man, scouting experience, won a Cup, and/or his family is well connected in the hockey world?  Unfortunately, like in the real business world, CEOs are sometimes appointed not through their performance.  If so, he is here to stay a little bit longer.

• Cheers 1

10 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

No, no, I did. 

I asked the question but I already know the answer :)

which is why I didn't bother responding to your question.

a market that wanted both a rething and playoff results at the same time - and rides the contradiction endlessly.

but, but EP and Hughes are already in their primez!  we shoulda won by now...

guess what - you guys share the exact expectations as Benning's boss, that you also complain endlessly about. 

If you want to understand "the plan" - sort out your own contradictions first, and then you might begin to glimpse it.

the ironing is delicious.   take a position (or just whinge endlessly about nothing, whatever).

• RoughGame 1

From the perspective of an owner, it is always the goal to make the playoffs.  That is where they make the most revenue.  Once in the playoffs, there's probably an increase in merchandise sales as well.  So it's quite possible that Aquilini wanted a rebuild AND make the playoffs.  Best of both worlds. 

• Vintage 1

The team needs better management. That means from the owner down. '94 was a good year, they had a good team, and a great coach, and goalie. Most of the years they had mediocre coaching with the exception of Roger Neilson. On given games though they were competitive, but they had dumb stratedgy such as having to have a number 1 goalie. They would never think of going with the hot goalie. They had coaches that could not adapt to certain game situations. A coach must be able to "play the game" and adapt. So its been a tough 50 or so years and now with Seattle playing next season the Canucks need much better management ,.

23 hours ago, IBatch said:

Seven years and no clear plan, LA Kings just missed the playoffs, 5 of the last 7 years too. 

Their last playoff run was in 2018, and they didn't have to trade their 1st and a 2nd to do it. Swept in the 1st round. So similar vein to our 2013 team. That was their cue to actually start a rebuild. They even let their old cup winning GM Dean Lombardi go in 2017! They saw the need for a fresh set of eyes and a new plan because the old one wasn't working.

They've been offloading their veteran players since and actually got decent value from their vets to accelerate the rebuild.

Alec Martinez -> two 2nds

Tyler Tofofli -> Madden + 2nd (*sigh)

Jack Campbell -> two 3rds + Trevor Moore

Fantenberg -> 4th

Tanner Pearson -> Hagelin -> 3rd and 6th

Nate Thompson -> 4th

Jake Muzzin -> 1st

Even if we've been rebuilding since 2017, we've been doing it on a half tank of fuel in terms of draft capital. I still don't know why JB is so allergic to acquiring picks when it's his greatest strength. 

Look at New York Rangers, Chicago Black Hawks, Maple Leafs and other rebuilding teams and their moves are similar vein, because rebuilds follow a general principle of acquiring draft capital and moving out your vets while they still have value. Not sitting on them and letting them walk. They did more rebuilding moves in two years than Benning has in four (since 2017), although I've been told  we've been rebuilding since the beginning because they take a decade to do. Unless you guys wanna give Benning rope to 2027. 

The biggest hurdle for these teams that we don't have is they have the cup winning core contracts to still get rid of (Toews, Kane, Doughty) at a much higher cap hit than the Sedins. So it'll be curious to see if they adopt the business mindset and offload them or let them play out their careers in their teams for sentimentality's sake.

Edited by DSVII
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, oldnews said:

a market that wanted both a rething and playoff results at the same time - and rides the contradiction endlessly.

I think that is a narrative that has been pushed onto this market by media and ownership rather than any fan consensus.

I wish we had access to the data but I wouldn't be surprised if season ticket holder subscriptions cratered with that unrealistic playoff expectation in 2016 and picked up again in 2017 when we actually began some semblance of a rebuild and got Petey.

Remember how big of a deal it was for the fanbase for Linden to be honest with us and to actually use the word rebuild? This market was willing to tolerate a retool, but with little to show from the 2016 draft and the team still bottoming out, that attitude shifted to a full rebuild.

Also, I haven't really remembered any conversation about playoff results being the end all be all with anyone on any forums or any fans during the 2015-17 era. I do remember arguing with posters who said we need to make playoffs to give our youth experience (at the time we had Bo and Boeser only from this current core) but never that they expect this team to go deep into playoffs while the Sedins are here..

How many fans are still here despite bottom 10 finishes in the last seven years and how many more bought into getting Petey and Hughes. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, DSVII said:

I think that is a narrative that has been pushed onto this market by media and ownership rather than any fan consensus.

I wish we had access to the data but I wouldn't be surprised if season ticket holder subscriptions cratered with that unrealistic playoff expectation in 2016 and picked up again in 2017 when we actually began some semblance of a rebuild and got Petey.

Remember how big of a deal it was for the fanbase for Linden to be honest with us and to actually use the word rebuild? This market was willing to tolerate a retool, but with little to show from the 2016 draft and the team still bottoming out, that attitude shifted to a full rebuild.

Also, I haven't really remembered any conversation about playoff results being the end all be all with anyone on any forums or any fans during the 2015-17 era. I do remember arguing with posters who said we need to make playoffs to give our youth experience (at the time we had Bo and Boeser only from this current core) but never that they expect this team to go deep into playoffs while the Sedins are here..

How many fans are still here despite bottom 10 finishes in the last seven years and how many more bought into getting Petey and Hughes. 

This.

Wanting to keep swinging for the playoff fences with a broken core was driven by ownership wanting to make money and management fearing a rebuild. Not by fan or media pressurs. The majority of both pushed for a proper rebuild.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

A couple of the top teams in the league might hit 82 points this year.

Benning's teams have hit this mark just once in 7 seasons, twice if you prorate last year season. And the roster that did it the first time is essentially all gone.

So 2 times in 7 tries have we been able to surpass what the top teams are doing in 2/3rds of a season.

Someone Created Meme Bath Bombs And Now I Need Them All | Blinking guy  meme, Funny reaction pictures, Cool gifs

:)

................and just watch Jimbo resign TG to 7 more years so we can continue the mediocrity.