The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

1 hour ago, CanadianRugby said:

The plan the way I see it.

1. Make some big signings, go for another run with the Sedins. 

2. OK, terrible season.  Draft high, add expensive vets and get back to dominating. 

3. OK another horrible season? Draft high, add overpriced vets, trade for more 23-25 year olds and sign more people.  No way there's another bad season.  Retool time. 

4. OK so another high pick, just add more overpriced vets.  No way it doesn't work again.  You know what.  Trade 1st and 2nd round pick to sneak into the playoffs.  

5. OK retool again, well.. mostly just lose players because of expensive vets.  

6.  Going for it again!

7. OK another terrible season, don't have money to sign overpriced vets.

8. Wait 2 years for money to sign expensive vets. 

Agent was right, there is a plan. Thanks for showing the details. :-)

• Haha 3

Go listen to every comment interview statement Jbhas made over the last 7 years.

he failed he’s a failure .

most gms would get axed fir 1/3 if the terrible and blatant mistakes hes made. 
we aren’t and haven’t been competitive

we aren’t a playoff team

we didn’t bring they youth along in a in winning environment 

it not going to  happen in less than 10 years. 
weve capped out 

we lost so many players for nothing 

we traded away picks snd prospects for nothing 

we have terrible contracts 

you can minimize it justify it and  continue to make pathetic excuses 

fact is he’s failed to deliver what he pitched. 

any manger ceo or professional that comes in and pitches things and  fails to deliver on  a single one would be fired and should be fired. 
Jb is a failure.

he’s lucky fans weren’t in the stands because they’d be chanting fire Benning and if he’s here next season and fans are at games  when this team is once again a failure he’ll get to hear it. 

• RoughGame 1

11 minutes ago, combover said:

Go listen to every comment interview statement Jbhas made over the last 7 years.

he failed he’s a failure .

most gms would get axed fir 1/3 if the terrible and blatant mistakes hes made. 
we aren’t and haven’t been competitive

we aren’t a playoff team

we didn’t bring they youth along in a in winning environment 

it not going to  happen in less than 10 years. 
weve capped out 

we lost so many players for nothing 

we traded away picks snd prospects for nothing 

we have terrible contracts 

you can minimize it justify it and  continue to make pathetic excuses 

fact is he’s failed to deliver what he pitched. 

any manger ceo or professional that comes in and pitches things and  fails to deliver on  a single one would be fired and should be fired. 
Jb is a failure.

he’s lucky fans weren’t in the stands because they’d be chanting fire Benning and if he’s here next season and fans are at games  when this team is once again a failure he’ll get to hear it. 

Ok you made the negative list. How about the other side of the ledger?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

2. OK, terrible season.  Draft high, add expensive vets and get back to dominating. 

3. OK another horrible season? Draft high, add overpriced vets, trade for more 23-25 year olds and sign more people.  No way there's another bad season.  Retool time. 

4. OK so another high pick, just add more overpriced vets.  No way it doesn't work again.  You know what.  Trade 1st and 2nd round pick to sneak into the playoffs.  

6.  Going for it again!

200.gif

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

That is the positive list lol

The positive list is our new record. Never before in franchise history have the Canucks missed the playoffs 5 out of 6 years. We got some great pieces but inept asset management created little depth, more anchor contracts than any other team, little cap space, a leaky defence and few goals from the bottom six. Two more years to contend, if we get a competent GM and some new coaches.

• Cheers 2

13 minutes ago, steviewonder20 said:

ever before in franchise history have the Canucks missed the playoffs 5 out of 6 years.

Wrong, we have now done that twice, since John Torterella was named coach.

Please keep your displeasure factual.

Truly if the team is as bad as you say, why the need to spread falsehoods?

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, steviewonder20 said:

The positive list is our new record. Never before in franchise history have the Canucks missed the playoffs 5 out of 6 years. We got some great pieces but inept asset management created little depth, more anchor contracts than any other team, little cap space, a leaky defence and few goals from the bottom six. Two more years to contend, if we get a competent GM and some new coaches.

Blah blah blah 1 year left on those bad contracts. Even with them for 1 more year we will still be competitive next season. Hope they dont fire JB and Green to keep u crappy fans mad lol

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, CanadianRugby said:

6.  Going for it again!

Serious question - giving you the benefit of hindsight - what would your plan have been? 

when would you have started your re-whatever-you-want-to-call-it?

Personally I'd prefer to hear what you would have done - from the point Linden took over - for obvious reasons - the parameters of what the present management group had to work with - should be judged by.

It's too easy to pretend a teardown was possible - and pre-date the Tortorella misadventure.

Specifics would be good - ie 'just dump all the veterans, bottom out and win the lottery' for me is not good enough to qualify your easy, negative take.  I'd be interested to hear what you'd do with all those veterans - and contracts - post Tortorella season.

We can leave out what ownership would have wanted / their interests / their financial take - that doesn't matter / isn't as tangible as the simple player moves proposed.   'Don't sign LE = is obvious enough as well - we can take that for granted - and we get it - you didn't want Linden Vey.  Beyond that, I'm interested in your re-take / re-plan - what you propose.

I put this to you - because you're not simply one of those one-note posters here - yeah - you have your share of these kind of frustrated, dismissive posts - but you've also seemed to engage at times - have a discussion (as do guys like 189lbs, in spite of the entertaining exchanges we have at times that aren't particularly substantive).  Interested in an actual, thought-out counterpoint / discussion here.

Edited by oldnews
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, steviewonder20 said:

Meh.   The 80's weren't so hot, neither were the 70', back when teams below .500 made the show simply because there weren't many teams.   Now half the league doesn't make it.    Send your complaints to the better target, Bettman and the NHL front office.   Context matters.   Name a team that won as many games as we did from 2000-2014 that is still doing well.    Detroit, SJ and Vancouver.    Big deal.   JB isn't a savant and he's not bad either, he's above average overall once context comes in "but seven years of losing (and one 7th overall finish and three playoff rounds plus a play-in)" blah blah blah  Sure we deserve better.   All this love for Torts...what has CLB ever done?   People need to rank our team compared to the other 30 soon to be 31 teams in the league and that's it.     And also need context.   Every good-great team eventually has to pay the piper.   I would have been happy to see the Sedins not get their final deal as do quite a few long term fans i talk to as well.   Send some to them too (complaints).   It is what it is.  Don't expect the moon because that's not happening.   I'm fine with change, but saying JB is terrible, garbage, needs a plane and a flag saying that is ... well needs some perspective.   Nonis 2.0 maybe (except the drafting is pretty decent).   I don't have all the answers but do know that this was always going to be a long long haul no matter whom took over.   So does Aquaman.   

• Cheers 2

30 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Meh.   The 80's weren't so hot, neither were the 70', back when teams below .500 made the show simply because there weren't many teams.   Now half the league doesn't make it.    Send your complaints to the better target, Bettman and the NHL front office.   Context matters.   Name a team that won as many games as we did from 2000-2014 that is still doing well.    Detroit, SJ and Vancouver.    Big deal.   JB isn't a savant and he's not bad either, he's above average overall once context comes in "but seven years of losing (and one 7th overall finish and three playoff rounds plus a play-in)" blah blah blah  Sure we deserve better.   All this love for Torts...what has CLB ever done?   People need to rank our team compared to the other 30 soon to be 31 teams in the league and that's it.     And also need context.   Every good-great team eventually has to pay the piper.   I would have been happy to see the Sedins not get their final deal as do quite a few long term fans i talk to as well.   Send some to them too (complaints).   It is what it is.  Don't expect the moon because that's not happening.   I'm fine with change, but saying JB is terrible, garbage, needs a plane and a flag saying that is ... well needs some perspective.   Nonis 2.0 maybe (except the drafting is pretty decent).   I don't have all the answers but do know that this was always going to be a long long haul no matter whom took over.   So does Aquaman.   

I don't have all the answers but do know that this was always going to be a long long haul no matter whom took over.   So does Aquaman.  

Please don't say that. Benning himself told every one that this team cold be turned around quckly.

“I like this team - I like the core players. This is a team we can turn around in a hurry.” - Benning

— Vancouver Canucks (@VanCanucks) May 23, 2014

So either he didn't know what he was doing then or he's proved he doesn't know what he's doing now ... which is it !!!

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

Please don't say that. Benning himself told every one that this team cold be turned around quckly.

you quoted that before and ignored the responses.

but what do you believe "turned around" meant?

Obviously going from 5th last in the NHL to winning the Division (101 pts) - in one season - isn't "turned around" or "quickly enough" for you?

So, what do you assume that he meant, instead?

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Fred65 said:

And he did.

23 minutes ago, oldnews said:

going from 5th last in the NHL to winning the Division (101 pts) - in one season

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Fred65 said:

And since then?? how long can he rest of his limited success from 2015

well - from 2016 - until 2020 - they drafted and developed a lot of their subsequent core - a young group (of 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 yr olds -  that went further in the playoffs last season than any of the #proper-rebuilds or lottery champions  thus far.....so there's that.

evidently every GM north of the border 'should be' canned - because not one of them has a relatively, particularly bright record of 'success'.

• Cheers 1

Just now, oldnews said:

well - from 2016 - until 2020 - they drafted and developed a lot of their subsequent core - a young group (of 20, 21, 22, 23, 24 yr olds -  that went further in the playoffs last season than any of the #proper-rebuilds or lottery champions  thus far.....so there's that.

evidently every GM north of the border 'should be' canned - because not one of them has a relatively, particularly bright record of 'success'.

Are you kidding every GM/Coach in the Northern division has done better than our management. You may not have noticed Vcr is the worse in the division. That counts, and please no excuses, the standing show every thing you need to know

• RoughGame 1

10 hours ago, oldnews said:

you quoted that before and ignored the responses.

but what do you believe "turned around" meant?

Obviously going from 5th last in the NHL to winning the Division (101 pts) - in one season - isn't "turned around" or "quickly enough" for you?

So, what do you assume that he meant, instead?

mediocre goalies can post 3 shutouts in a row- see Brian Boucher

mediocre players can score 50 - see Devon Setigouchi  I meant to say Cheechoo , but Cheechoo and Setagouchi ended with similar games and points

and the Toronto Maple leafs can have a good regular season but fail in the playoffs

Jimmer took a tired complacent team and turned the Canucks into the Leafs for one season

Edited by lmm
  • RoughGame 1