The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

17 minutes ago, gurn said:

Original plan:

I'm going to walk to work.

Look outside and it is hailing golf balls.

Stick to original plan or should I change it?

Walking is good exercise and builds character. 

Now walking in a hurricane or earthquake...maybe not. 

• Upvote 1

Had COVID not happened, this team would not only look different but would be in a far better position in the playoff this year. People tend to ignore the fact the cap is frozen and is at least a year or two away from that changing. Not at all surprised by how some fans ignore that and want to throw management and coaching under the bus.

Edited by BowtieCanuck
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

15 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Speaking of the team's poor messaging, I was laughing my arse off when I first heard those quotes as I knew they were going to get misconstrued and become memes :lol:

Looking at the team day to day doesn't mean there's no larger plan at work. But things literally do change EVERY day in the league. You have injuries, other teams have injuries, players become available that weren't yesterday etc, etc. You have a greater plan that you adjust day to day, as new information becomes available. This really shouldn't be surprising or news worthy.

As for running out of time, yeah Benning has to wait for Vegas to sign Pietrangelo before he could trade for Schmidt as an example. He's not in a vacuum, sometimes he has to wait on other GM's and players to sign or make moves. He was reportedly talking to numerous teams about moving cap to sign the likes of Toffoli and/or Tanev/Stecher. Given Covid and the diminishing cap space around the league, they decided to take security of a contract over waiting. This wasn't isolated to just Benning/Vancouver. GM's around the league were doing acrobatics to finalize rosters. They 'ran out of time' too.

Why can’t I find a woman as easy to please as you. I can’t Imagine having this many excuses and getting completely let off the hook every time. 

1 minute ago, Convincing John said:

Why can’t I find a woman as easy to please as you. I can’t Imagine having this many excuses and getting completely let off the hook every time. 

Reality and context are not excuses. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Had COVID not happened, this team would not only look different but would be in a far better position in the playoff this year. People tend to ignore the fact the cap is frozen and is at least a year or two away from that changing. Not at all surprised by how some fans ignore that and want to throw management and coaching under the bus.

Agree with the management, coaching on other hand !!!!

Please hire a NHL experienced coach.

All the same excuses from all the same people.

im looking forward because I’ve been told “ in two years we’ll be good”.huh I heard that in 2014 from the same guy. 

well our gms fingers crossed hope plan was to be a fringe wildcard team from day one so in fact his plan would have limited our chances at a top pick anyway. But it’s Bettman that had us spending to the cap and being to crappy to make the playoffs but to good to finish last. 
inability to move assets or add draft picks leaves us 7 years deep with little more than a 1 line team the relies on other team waivers for depth. 
we have 1 dman in seven season of drafting to be an nhler.

stay the coarse so Over paid ufas can fill the roster because internal development has been atrocious. 
the JB apologist can spew the same redundant excuses and try to spin his idiotic comments from his interviews it doesn’t change this team is capped out and crap with no identity of defined plan  going on 7 season.

Jb is and has been terrible the sooner he’s gone the better off this club will be.

Edited by combover
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

The gm came out and said he ran out of time. That’s embarrassing. It was not great for ten games, sorry we lost assets. Our depth is already depleted. The organization is not set up to lose assets right now. When you have a plethora of assets to trade you can do that sure. The way it’s set up right now they can’t afford to just give assets for ten games. That’s the reality. The experience was ok but remember that really isn’t a playoff atmosphere right now so everything is a bit screwed up without fans. It will be an entirely new experience for them when fans return. What exactly did that experience in the bubble do for them this year? Not much. I think the biggest thing is that it showed the potential of Demko.

Podkolzin, Juilevi, Woo, Lind, Lockwood, Jasek, Rathbone, Gadjovich, and DiPietro say hi

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, BowtieCanuck said:

Because COVID and a flat cap are affecting the other 30 teams as well.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

Yes and they say they aren’t ready to make an impact now. The depth right now isn’t there. 

Oops I thought you were referring to future depth, because we traded away Madden for 10 games of Toffoli. That was the original post?

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Reality and context are not excuses. 

So you are ok with him insulating a core before he even had a core? And now half that “insulation” is rotten and not keeping the heat in. Like that’s ok? 

I just will not accept any kind of scenario in which Jim Benning has handled the situation he is in the best that he could. As I mentioned before. If he never signed a single UFA contract. We would have the exact same quality of core at the minimum but we would have infinite cap space to insulate them with. He did everything backwards. I also don’t want to hear this “ ownership made him spend to the cap” narrative. I have an extremely hard time believing ownership wouldn’t be on board if Jim said, “I’m going to just hang around the cap floor for a few years until I draft a core to insulate” or how about “I’m going to bring in some veterans on 1-2 year deals to insulate our guys as we go.” Your Thornton type players. To show these kids how to be pros. How about More of the JT Miller/ Schmidt trades, weaponizing your cap space to get good players on good contract. The guy absolutely kills all the good things he does by his idiotic UFA signings. I don’t even care that he blew picks on tweeners, I’m ok with that risk and reward. These contracts have got to stop though, seriously. Someone needs to kidnap him and lock him up from the day after the draft till the day before the preseason we would be so much further ahead. 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Drafting completely overrated. Make a list of all the 1st round picks that were drafted directly after our pick and you'll see that the group we have isn't much better. The draft "success" has largely been due to simply drafting high almost every year. Look at a graph that shows draft pick position/number vs probability of success in the NHL, it's pretty self-explanatory. Suffice to say, pretty much every category outside of drafting has been bad.

The story of Benning will always be that he got in his own way:

- Draft gems in the 2nd round? Well, I guess we can throw some 2nd rounders away, too many good young players would be a bad thing.

- 1st round picks graduating quicker than expected? Bungle the cap with replaceable level players so that you have no money to capitalize on ELC contracts.

- Sign a college free agent that bleeds Canuck and is a locker room favorite? Let him go for nothing and replace him with a 6M cap-hit player that is essentially playing the same (bottom-pairing) role.

- Inherit a good AGM in Gilman? Nah, bring in John "Jankowski" Weisbrod, a proven winner.

- Great players available to snatch up @ expansion draft? Why when we can just protect Gudbranson and Granlund instead?

It goes on and on. So much potential wasted.

Great post... if it were actually backed by real data.

Care to share such "list"?

Point us to the said graph?

• Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Screw said:

The plan the way I see it:

1. add blue chip prospects via draft

2. Insulate and mentor prospects as they mature their game with veteran UFA

3. Profit.

You forgot:

4.  Make a bunch of bad acquisitions
5.  Get the team into cap trouble

6.  Be worse after 7 years than we started

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, khay said:

Great post... if it were actually backed by real data.

Care to share such "list"?

Point us to the said graph?

I put out various draft lists at the time and who we would have ended up with based on all the other major draft lists and BPA when we picked.  It was in a couple of threads about drafting.

Benning came out above average, but worse than some of the others... so ya, most of our draft success is based on how bad we have been for so long and how high we have been drafting.

The only clear "winner" that Benning picked over almost everyone else was Petterson.  Hughes and Boeser would have been picked by most lists where they were selected. On the other side guys like Nylander, Tkachuk, Ehlers, Pastrnak, etc were on those other lists that we missed on with Virtanen and Juolevi. 

Just listening to a guy like Craig Button who isn't paid by any team to scout and is a TV talking head, we end up with:

2014 - Ehlers, Kempe
2015 - B
oeser

2016 - Tkachuk
2017 - Glass
2018 - Hughes

I think Petterson is great, but no one is trading both Ehlers and Tkachuk for him.

• Haha 1