The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

5 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The drafting of talent is paramount for sure, but wise management in other areas, like cap management, key UFA signings, and trades to fill holes also needed to win.  Like the Hawks signing Hosea as a UFA, or the Kings trading to get Carter.  Benning has drafted some very good young talent, but is he the right guy to get that young core the support group needed for them to become a winning team?  

There is still a lot of holes that need to be filled through the draft.

I wish they would fill the president of hockey opps position.  Fill it with someone who is a proven builder.

• Upvote 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

35 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The drafting of talent is paramount for sure, but wise management in other areas, like cap management, key UFA signings, and trades to fill holes also needed to win.  Like the Hawks signing Hosea as a UFA, or the Kings trading to get Carter.  Benning has drafted some very good young talent, but is he the right guy to get that young core the support group needed for them to become a winning team?  

Correct yes, ive repeated that a hundred times that timely trades are what puts us over the edge.

48 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

For a majority of the season, the canucks were icing five D over the age of 30 (schmidt, benn, edler, myers, hamonic). 

Juolevi is bad. I'm very pro-rathbone but there is a certain level of redundancy with Hughes/Rathbone. I'm also pro-Woo. 

Myers is a $3MM defenseman making 6 and all our players play worse with him. That's why Green chose Stecher and Tanev over Myers for the matchup pairs and used Myers with Fantenberg in the playoffs. 

Benning inherited Edler (28) Tanev (25) + Hutton. 

The idea that all the canucks D in 2014 were over the hill but the 2021 D who were icing 5 guys over 30 aren't is a weird narrative. 

Go see the 6million dollar man 2.0 thread. 
Myers is worth his contract. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

57 minutes ago, Tom Sestito said:

For a majority of the season, the canucks were icing five D over the age of 30 (schmidt, benn, edler, myers, hamonic). 

Juolevi is bad. I'm very pro-rathbone but there is a certain level of redundancy with Hughes/Rathbone. I'm also pro-Woo. 

Myers is a $3MM defenseman making 6 and all our players play worse with him. That's why Green chose Stecher and Tanev over Myers for the matchup pairs and used Myers with Fantenberg in the playoffs. 

Benning inherited Edler (28) Tanev (25) + Hutton. 

The idea that all the canucks D in 2014 were over the hill but the 2021 D who were icing 5 guys over 30 aren't is a weird narrative. 

Lol.   Good story.   Stetcher has a big heart but was completely exposed by Vegas and St. Louis also targeted his side.   Myers was and still is used in all situations.   Fatenburg needed a solid player, same as OJ why they matched him up with Myers, just look at his minutes if that's not too hard to do.   Rathbone is redundant, if he's as good as Stecher plus some offense QHs might be a trade the team can make to help the future.   Myers is one of his better signings.   Not overpaid, if he was a LHD (50% more of those in the league) then maybe by one million.    Deserves the Pratt this year really.   What playoff were you watching anyways?  Myers was one of our best players, when he went down the team suffered.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

1 hour ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I let go of 2011 the minute the cup final ended bud. The team was mentally broken and the next few 1st round losses only hammered home the point they would not recover and go on another run.

The Sedins could have chased a cup elsewhere too. Not doing what needed to be done out of "respect" for two players, no matter how great, is a terrible management strategy. 

Gillis hung on too long but that doesnt excuse Benning. He held on even longer after that. The team should have been blown up before Benning even got here. Thats just reality. But he has compounded that mistake since.

You dont sign Roussel, Beagle, Schaller, Myers, Sutter, etc. to those contracts during a rebuild. Maybe one of them or two, but not a whole bunch of them. Not for 4-6 years with trade protection. Those contracts tell you exactly what Benning was thinking. That those were "foubdational players" that would help them be a playoff team. Its never actually been anythibg but an accidental rebuild. Its been a bunch of bad retooling decisions that turned into high picks because it didnt work and the team sucked. Lets call a spade a spade here. 

Then i guess both Dorian and Gorton and Yzerman are just as guilty, same as Holland before Yzerman, ARI, Buffalo too.   They all signed UFAs to plug holes.   His timing was off by one year.   Have some patience.  There is no use debating the re-tool, that was the only thing to do.   You can't not honour contracts they are what they are.   GMs honour them.   Burrows and Hansen got traded because they asked/wanted a shot at a cup.  MG signed the Sedins correct?   

It's not perfect, and yes it's being a little messy.   But it's what the team needed too.   We won't win a cup or contend without solid drafting.   JB quote last summer " It takes time to build a pool back.   Some guys take 3-5 years and we are at the point where we won't have to use free agents " etc etc to paraphrase.   I don't think that's entirely true, we still will need a few blue chip players to fill holes,  but it's also not as bad as some seem to think it is.   MG stamp on this team won't be gone until Luongo's contract is finished.    Nonis not until Edler retires or he's not re-signed.   This team is almost 100% just JB.   Better then i expected really.   

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Then i guess both Dorian and Gorton and Yzerman are just as guilty, same as Holland before Yzerman, ARI, Buffalo too.   They all signed UFAs to plug holes.   His timing was off by one year.   Have some patience.  There is no use debating the re-tool, that was the only thing to do.   You can't not honour contracts they are what they are.   GMs honour them.   Burrows and Hansen got traded because they asked/wanted a shot at a cup.  MG signed the Sedins correct?   

It's not perfect, and yes it's being a little messy.   But it's what the team needed too.   We won't win a cup or contend without solid drafting.   JB quote last summer " It takes time to build a pool back.   Some guys take 3-5 years and we are at the point where we won't have to use free agents " etc etc to paraphrase.   I don't think that's entirely true, we still will need a few blue chip players to fill holes,  but it's also not as bad as some seem to think it is.   MG stamp on this team won't be gone until Luongo's contract is finished.    Nonis not until Edler retires or he's not re-signed.   This team is almost 100% just JB.   Better then i expected really.   

Its way worse than I expected tbh. I understand that the Canucks were never going to actually rebuild in the traditional sense. I have been a fan long enough to know the reality is it never was going to be accepted by Aquilini.

Benning has in many ways repeated one of the biggest roadblocks Gillis left him by also giving out ntc like candy. A player with a 5 team list now is essentially able to block any trade. 

Having said that, signing free agents during a rebuild isnt on its own a bad thing. Signing sub par ones to bad contracts is the issue.

I am hopeful that Benning will prove me wrong and not sign a bunch more $&!# contracts. But i think its likely he will tbh.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Lol.   Good story.   Stetcher has a big heart but was completely exposed by Vegas and St. Louis also targeted his side.   Myers was and still is used in all situations.   Fatenburg needed a solid player, same as OJ why they matched him up with Myers, just look at his minutes if that's not too hard to do.   Rathbone is redundant, if he's as good as Stecher plus some offense QHs might be a trade the team can make to help the future.   Myers is one of his better signings.   Not overpaid, if he was a LHD (50% more of those in the league) then maybe by one million.    Deserves the Pratt this year really.   What playoff were you watching anyways?  Myers was one of our best players, when he went down the team suffered.  

You’re right. Myers was a +9 in 17 playoff games while Stecher was a -3 in 10 playoff games playing softer minutes.

Wait a second, it was the other way around.

How many times have we said Horvat needs a winger? It’s ridiculous that it hasn’t been addressed by now. Year after year it’s the same thing. Benning is not the man that can bring the players needed to support our young stars. That has been clear.

Edited by Canuckfanforlife82

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I said this exact thing a few days ago, almost verbatim. I think it was actually a response to you iirc.

We .... We ... choose to make an issue of drafting, Benning the master mind, but Gillis in addition drafting Horvat did sign Tanev at a NCAA  UFA!! he traded for Markstrom ( under difficult circumstance, Luongo's wife wanted him back in Maimi where she could keep her eye on him )  So yes if you simply judging drafting, Virtanen McCann, Boeser Juolevi Petterson and Hughes. That looks like to me 3 good pick and  3 poor picks   ... 50% success not exactly brilliant. If Benning ever, ever wins two Presidents Trophies and get to game 7 of the SC final .... I'll tip my hat. BUt you can't for good reason judge simply on a modest drafting history .... afns have been sols a pup and the believe waht they're told

28 minutes ago, Canuckfanforlife82 said:

How many times have we said Horvat needs a winger? It’s ridiculous that it hasn’t been addressed by now. Year after year it’s the same thing. Benning is not the man that can bring the players needed to support our young stars. That has been clear.

Or a replacement for Edler, or Tanev for that matter. It’s like, the obvious, glaring holes this team has (a substandard bottom 6 and a bad defence) were the same holes we had 4 years ago and yet here we are in 2021, going into another offseason asking who are going to fill

the holes in the bottom 6 to make

it respectable and who is going to replace a 35 year old Alex Edler and his tough minutes? Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Hogz, and the Miller trade have been his best moves as GM but there are way, way too many issues with this team to

justify Jim as GM and now us fans on this board are seriously comparing us to two dogsh*t franchises in Buffalo and Ottawa which is pathetic. 

54 minutes ago, Pickly said:

Or a replacement for Edler, or Tanev for that matter. It’s like, the obvious, glaring holes this team has (a substandard bottom 6 and a bad defence) were the same holes we had 4 years ago and yet here we are in 2021, going into another offseason asking who are going to fill

the holes in the bottom 6 to make

it respectable and who is going to replace a 35 year old Alex Edler and his tough minutes? Petey, Hughes, Boeser, Hogz, and the Miller trade have been his best moves as GM but there are way, way too many issues with this team to

justify Jim as GM and now us fans on this board are seriously comparing us to two dogsh*t franchises in Buffalo and Ottawa which is pathetic. 

A sad thing indeed when people have become so entitled that they think they know more than the people that are getting paid big money to do the job. 
Long live JB. 

1 minute ago, spur1 said:

A sad thing indeed when people have become so entitled that they think they know more than the people that are getting paid big money to do the job. 
Long live JB. 

Lol good one. That’s why discussion boards exist. To debate and elaborate. When Benning is axed I’ll remember your name. 

2 minutes ago, spur1 said:

Long live JB. 

This is not some cult where fans blindly follow their manager to glory and oblivion.  There's not a single sports team where its fanbase showcases that type of loyalty.  That would be ridiculous.

56 minutes ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

This is not some cult where fans blindly follow their manager to glory and oblivion.  There's not a single sports team where its fanbase showcases that type of loyalty.  That would be ridiculous.

Lol..,never heard of the Leafs I guess. (Not to mention Trump)

Edited by spur1

1 hour ago, Bob.Loblaw said:

6154938C-4F3A-4C43-BE84-EB970B6A0183.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Nono... Vegas won because they dominated us. Look at the controlled zone time. We played superb infront of Demko in our own zone and Demko played unreal.. problem was, we werent playing much in the other zone. We blocked shots, took away shooting lanes and collapsed around Demko perfectly. 
if we couldnt beat VGK, how do we beat Dallas, or ultimately Tampa who made it look like childs play.

lets just make this clear as to how lopsided this series vs VGK was.

we got shut out 3 times.. THREE TIMES

We were outshot 273 to 138 in the series

in the final 3 games we were outshot 127 to 54... we averaged 19.7 shots a game through the series... vegas averaged 39 shots a game.

Green played laid back, Myers needed more time to gel, we needed more depth to handle injuries, Hughes is one year older. 

You guys do a lot of gut reaction. 

Cheering for a an injured Ferland just because he dominated us one time is another.

Think about our defence.

We had a good thing going with Hughes, Tanev, Edler, Stecher, Fantenberg, Myers when gelled.

A big difference compared to this season when Benn got back in. Schmidt, Harmonic and a bunch of ungelled players.

The amount of goals let in because our defence was much worse than last year is the difference between playoff or not. 

So a gut reaction from Benning led to a missed play off, is that what you say?

10 hours ago, Bertuzzipunch said:

Like i said the cap will prevent it from happening. He wont have the luxury of goving out big contracts to mediocre players.

Well let's see. 

At this point there can be no margin for error moving forward so if ownership decides to keep Benning, he shouldn't be allowed to make one mistake 

9 hours ago, IBatch said:

The only time Stecher had a problem was when he had to cover Hughes ass. 

He did a great job, was mobile and an offensive threat. 

Very bad for the team to loose him. 

Just the three changes in defence is enough to explain why we missed play off this year and it is all about Bennings mistakes.

When Petey got injured we needed Toffoli badly but by then it was too late.

That is also a mistake by Benning. 

We need a stabile depth to handle a wholse season. Not a lot of fringe players disrupting chemistry.