The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

23 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Stick to basketball you are as dumb and naive as can be to believe that because Toffoli put up 28g in a COVID season with some weak ass teams that he will replicate this next year and continue to build on that. Go shoot some hoops

That is not what JB said in the press

One of his excuses was he suggested that the Canucks’ biggest problem is that they’re a young team, as opposed to the rest of the North Division.

“Our best young players are 21, 22, 23, years old,” he said. “Teams in this division, they're physically mature, their star players are older players.”

But, looking at the Toronto Maple Leafs, the team in first place in the North. Their top two forwards, Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews, are 23 years old. The Canucks’ top two forwards, Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser, are 22 and 24. William Nylander, picked the same year as Jake Virtanen, is 24

Bo Horvat is 25 and J.T. Miller is 27.

Quinn Hughes is just 21, but the rest of the defense is 29+. The Canucks are not that young.

Also for weak ass teams and we finish last perhaps is not to boast about :(

9 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Haha knew you couldnt resist responding.

And btw, Tampa and Washington actually were contenders for several years before they won cups. They didnt actually rebuild for very long.

He’s insane. I debunked every absurd theory he gave. Our schedule was no more difficult then the top 2 teams in our division. He brings up injuries like no team has ever dealt with an injury before. He said we were playing hot in the 15 games leading up to the shutdown and in those games we lost in regulation 50% more then we won. Washington and Tampa were years out of a rebuild. He’s delusional 

• Cheers 1

19 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

He’s insane. I debunked every absurd theory he gave. Our schedule was no more difficult then the top 2 teams in our division. He brings up injuries like no team has ever dealt with an injury before. He said we were playing hot in the 15 games leading up to the shutdown and in those games we lost in regulation 50% more then we won. Washington and Tampa were years out of a rebuild. He’s delusional 

I think he might actually be Jim Benning.

16 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Hey man, really solid post that has got me coming back around on JB's side a little.

The only problem I have with this reasoning lies in the fact that you may be overvaluing out bright future. I'm not sold on the belief that 2 players are enough to get this team into contention. Hughes and Petey... sorry but still not willing to believe they are enough to push this team further on their own and our prospects beyond them project to be secondary/pieces and are still greatly unproven.

Which Boeser are we going to see next year?

Is Bo what he is or does he lack quality line mates to maximize his contributions?

Looking forward to what Hogz brings moving forward. Isaw it in his highlight package at camp last year and not that surprised at his skill level. Still, He's a second line forward and not a star... yet.

The way I feel now is that I'm 50/50 on rating this management over the past seven years. Some great moves, some good, many not so good, some terrible

I'b be OK with a change. He's had a long time to get this roster filled out and as of right now it simply looks dismal.

Hope I'm wrong.

I totally agree that Petey and Hughes arent enough to carry a series. Its who we surround them with. So yes Horvat, Boeser, Hoglander are all important players for the future. We also have an up and coming star goalie in Demko, theres the development of DiPietro to back that up as well. There is Podkolzin on the horizon, another top 10 draft pick. Guys like Karlsson, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, Jurmo and a handful of other prospects who could take the next step and blossom into NHL players. We have lots to look forward through strictly from how we have drafted. When the time is right, we will make the necessary acquisitions to put us over the top.

The playoffs get a lot more physical. 

This team needs some work. I think Hog would do fine. Pod is built for it.

We need some size and some nasty for the bottom lines.

I wonder who our next inexperienced GM will be.

49 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

I totally agree that Petey and Hughes arent enough to carry a series. Its who we surround them with. So yes Horvat, Boeser, Hoglander are all important players for the future. We also have an up and coming star goalie in Demko, theres the development of DiPietro to back that up as well. There is Podkolzin on the horizon, another top 10 draft pick. Guys like Karlsson, Gadjovich, Lind, Lockwood, Jurmo and a handful of other prospects who could take the next step and blossom into NHL players. We have lots to look forward through strictly from how we have drafted. When the time is right, we will make the necessary acquisitions to put us over the top.

Again, some really valid points.

Demko looks like the real deal and can be a foundation to build around.

That list of up and comers is pretty mediocre currently, but sure, who knows?

You're getting shredded around here because you came at some other posters with some pretty aggressive replies. I get it, you believe. As do I.

Management and coaching decisions are way above my pay grade but the results to date aren't very good.

We crawled into the play in last year after a very inconsistent season and yet again our team payroll has handcuffed us moving forward for at least another year. 

we currently have 1.5 forward lines that can compete and a makeshift top pairing D corps with many holes. This team needs work.

Not just drafting.

Shrewd NHL scouting and moves.

Well constructed and strategic contract negotiations.

Proper asset management.

Benning's report card on all of these is a"B-" or a "C" at best.

Bolster Hockey Ops with more knowledgeable people.

Maybe try someone new. What's the worst that can happen?

Benning just hasn't done enough to merit a vote of confidence for another 2-3 year term and if a new GM is coming in then that affects the coaching situation.

What a &^@#ing mess.

Our coach doesn't have a contract and close to 6-7 teams have coaching vacancies.

Its a joke.

So frustrated.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

54 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

You are delusional. You are actually an idiot.

Even Murph just said prior to puck drop how challenging our scheduling was to start. We came out slow and we had a hard time catching up because we played more games in less time than every single team in the league and we were battling conditioning and fatigue. Thats fine and fair, the whole league had to deal with that. We started to find our feet and over a 15 game stretch we were one of the hottest teams in the NHL before COVID. When we got shut down due to COVID, we had played 37 games... the average team in the league was around 32 games played. We had 5 more games we had 1 5 day break which is where we had our first practice like 25 games into the season. Montreal had 3 1 week breaks before we had our first break. Toronto had 1 full week of rest before we showed up to play them for the first time this season, they had plenty of rest and practice. Roussel called the league out about the scheduling in a post game interview. 
THEN WE GOT HIT WITH COVID. And unlike any other team who had COVID we were shut down completely MID SEASON for ONE MONTH. 
Our schedule was heavy in the first half when the NHL released the official scheduling, we were to get more rest and practice time in the last portion of the season. Heavy start with a light finish. DO YOU COMPREHEND THIS SO FAR?

WHEN we got shut down for a month AFTER playing the hardest part of our scheduling, IT GOT EVEN WORSE 19 games in 30 days.

JT MILLER CALLED THE F***ING LEAGUE OUT ON IT THAT THEY WERE NOT READY AND IT WASNT SAFE. They gave us a few more days to get a practice or 2 in.

Please tell me what other team had their whole season of games played with the majority of back to backs.

it was hard for everyone

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/everybody-s-tired-as-condensed-nhl-schedule-takes-its-toll-1.1634490%3ftsn-amp

but it was worse for us due to the COVID lay off

and how they had to condense 19 games in 30 days to finish the season off.

It would be unfair to make excuses if every other team had 19 guys sick and played 19 games in 30 days and miss a month of hockey mid season. That is not the f***ing case, we have a valid excuse. You’re just in denial

37 games in 68 days to start the season 7 back to backs 5 games more than most teams in the NHL at that 37 game mark.

19 games in 30 days to end the season  4 back to backs

10 games in 14 days to start the season, 3 back to backs in the first 2 weeks.

Dont come at me with the scheduling wasnt an issue bullsh*t. It was not the same for everyone else.

1 hour ago, ba;;isticsports said:

That is not what JB said in the press

One of his excuses was he suggested that the Canucks’ biggest problem is that they’re a young team, as opposed to the rest of the North Division.

“Our best young players are 21, 22, 23, years old,” he said. “Teams in this division, they're physically mature, their star players are older players.”

But, looking at the Toronto Maple Leafs, the team in first place in the North. Their top two forwards, Mitch Marner and Auston Matthews, are 23 years old. The Canucks’ top two forwards, Elias Pettersson and Brock Boeser, are 22 and 24. William Nylander, picked the same year as Jake Virtanen, is 24

Bo Horvat is 25 and J.T. Miller is 27.

Quinn Hughes is just 21, but the rest of the defense is 29+. The Canucks are not that young.

Also for weak ass teams and we finish last perhaps is not to boast about :(

Either we compare our season with teams who had the same obstacles (there are no other teams who missed a month mid season)

we had the highest amount of games played by 5 games on most teams in the league before we got shut down for COVID at the 37 game mark In a normal season thats nearly 2 weeks of games. 
We sat for a month and went cold.

We finished the season with the harshest scheduling to make up for lost time.

this is not a season to gauge the canucks. Next season is when all teams have the same preparation, no delays and same scheduling. 

Put every single team through the same sh*t show we went through and none of them will have the same success. I can guarantee they would finish lower than where they sit now.

Edited by knucklehead91

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

The fact remains, Gillis didn't leave Benning with nothing to start from. We can debate with whether 2014-16 was a true rebuild/retool gone wrong, but that fact remains, Benning had a solid base to start from. 

To say Benning started from nothing is, to phrase @aGENT, hyperbolic melodrama ;) 

It wasn't 'nothing'.. but it sure wasn't much either. 

29 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Again, some really valid points.

Demko looks like the real deal and can be a foundation to build around.

That list of up and comers is pretty mediocre currently, but sure, who knows?

You're getting shredded around here because you came at some other posters with some pretty aggressive replies. I get it, you believe. As do I.

Management and coaching decisions are way above my pay grade but the results to date aren't very good.

We crawled into the play in last year after a very inconsistent season and yet again our team payroll has handcuffed us moving forward for at least another year. 

we currently have 1.5 forward lines that can compete and a makeshift top pairing D corps with many holes. This team needs work.

Not just drafting.

Shrewd NHL scouting and moves.

Well constructed and strategic contract negotiations.

Proper asset management.

Benning's report card on all of these is a"B-" or a "C" at best.

Bolster Hockey Ops with more knowledgeable people.

Maybe try someone new. What's the worst that can happen?

Benning just hasn't done enough to merit a vote of confidence for another 2-3 year term and if a new GM is coming in then that affects the coaching situation.

What a &^@#ing mess.

Our coach doesn't have a contract and close to 6-7 teams have coaching vacancies.

Its a joke.

So frustrated.

Nah I dont feel like im getting shredded. Im sick of repeating myself. The stupidity of a few posters here have been wearing my patience thin and they came at me to start, which stemmed from a joke. One poster just follows my every post like a lost puppy. 

Im looking at the bigger picture, too many people are focusing on today and not thinking about tomorrow or next week. 

2014 to the end of 2018 were re-tooling years. 2018 onward have been rebuilding years.

Sure we made it into the play-in rounds on a technicality. But we EARNED a playoff spot. In which we managed to beat the defending champs. We were no match for Vegas, however it shone a bright light on Demko and began to show us there is promise ahead. 

This year is a write off and we had some really bad luck. I mean Petey had how many crossbars and posts in close games?? He was leading the league by a fair amount up until his injury. It was just kinda the way the season went for us. 

It was a bit of a foreshadow of how the season would go for us when we started the season with back to backs and played 10 games in 14 days to start.

With or without Benning, I can assure you that if we win a cup in the next 7 years, the core of that team will be Bennings drafting.

I am a fan of this team and as frustrating as it has been, I believe we can be and will be better than what we went through this season. Im all for cheering through the growing pains of a rebuild and young stars developing into complete players. In the long run we will be a contending team through drafting and player development

36 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

You are delusional. You are actually an idiot.

Even Murph just said prior to puck drop how challenging our scheduling was to start. We came out slow and we had a hard time catching up because we played more games in less time than every single team in the league and we were battling conditioning and fatigue. Thats fine and fair, the whole league had to deal with that. We started to find our feet and over a 15 game stretch we were one of the hottest teams in the NHL before COVID. When we got shut down due to COVID, we had played 37 games... the average team in the league was around 32 games played. We had 5 more games we had 1 5 day break which is where we had our first practice like 25 games into the season. Montreal had 3 1 week breaks before we had our first break. Toronto had 1 full week of rest before we showed up to play them for the first time this season, they had plenty of rest and practice. Roussel called the league out about the scheduling in a post game interview. 
THEN WE GOT HIT WITH COVID. And unlike any other team who had COVID we were shut down completely MID SEASON for ONE MONTH. 
Our schedule was heavy in the first half when the NHL released the official scheduling, we were to get more rest and practice time in the last portion of the season. Heavy start with a light finish. DO YOU COMPREHEND THIS SO FAR?

WHEN we got shut down for a month AFTER playing the hardest part of our scheduling, IT GOT EVEN WORSE 19 games in 30 days.

JT MILLER CALLED THE F***ING LEAGUE OUT ON IT THAT THEY WERE NOT READY AND IT WASNT SAFE. They gave us a few more days to get a practice or 2 in.

Please tell me what other team had their whole season of games played with the majority of back to backs.

it was hard for everyone

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.tsn.ca/everybody-s-tired-as-condensed-nhl-schedule-takes-its-toll-1.1634490%3ftsn-amp

but it was worse for us due to the COVID lay off

and how they had to condense 19 games in 30 days to finish the season off.

It would be unfair to make excuses if every other team had 19 guys sick and played 19 games in 30 days and miss a month of hockey mid season. That is not the f***ing case, we have a valid excuse. You’re just in denial

37 games in 68 days to start the season 7 back to backs 5 games more than most teams in the NHL at that 37 game mark.

19 games in 30 days to end the season  4 back to backs

10 games in 14 days to start the season, 3 back to backs in the first 2 weeks.

Dont come at me with the scheduling wasnt an issue bullsh*t. It was not the same for everyone else.

Post covid shutdown is irrelevant, we weren’t a playoff team ya dunce. Also look at the schedule of the first 11 games for the Canucks and oilers. Literally a day away from being identical, the leafs played 10 in thats same time frame which is almost identical. You just spew non sense and then call others idiots when you don’t get your way. Stop pouting you whiner. Your uncle Benning sucks, almost as much as you. Your C- grade has been reviewed and you’re now a failure. Look at the first 11 games that those teams played and then cry about how unfair it is for us again. You’re the kind of fan that gives Canucks fans a bad name. Cant admit anything goes wrong and when it does it’s because of bad luck or happenstance. Stop quoting me and end this here. I’m tired of debating with an unintelligent sports watcher. I refuse to call you a fan because any fan has some knowledge or can obtain it through watching. If you haven’t in 7 years it will never happen. Bye bye. Warm your bottle up and go to bed. 

24 minutes ago, aGENT said:

It wasn't 'nothing'.. but it sure wasn't much either. 

On the contrary, Horvat with Markstrom, Tanev and Edler, I think they were the core pieces that masked a lot of the deficiencies this team had in the last few years on the defensive side of the puck and shots given up. 

16 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Nah I dont feel like im getting shredded. Im sick of repeating myself. The stupidity of a few posters here have been wearing my patience thin and they came at me to start, which stemmed from a joke. One poster just follows my every post like a lost puppy. 

Im looking at the bigger picture, too many people are focusing on today and not thinking about tomorrow or next week. 

2014 to the end of 2018 were re-tooling years. 2018 onward have been rebuilding years.

Sure we made it into the play-in rounds on a technicality. But we EARNED a playoff spot. In which we managed to beat the defending champs. We were no match for Vegas, however it shone a bright light on Demko and began to show us there is promise ahead. 

This year is a write off and we had some really bad luck. I mean Petey had how many crossbars and posts in close games?? He was leading the league by a fair amount up until his injury. It was just kinda the way the season went for us. 

It was a bit of a foreshadow of how the season would go for us when we started the season with back to backs and played 10 games in 14 days to start.

With or without Benning, I can assure you that if we win a cup in the next 7 years, the core of that team will be Bennings drafting.

I am a fan of this team and as frustrating as it has been, I believe we can be and will be better than what we went through this season. Im all for cheering through the growing pains of a rebuild and young stars developing into complete players. In the long run we will be a contending team through drafting and player development

You are getting shredded. You suck. Your opinion on hockey no longer counts. You need to keep repeating yourself because no one buys it because you’re the idiot you call everyone else. Good try though Benning! Unfortunately you can’t articulate yourself well, have zero basic understanding and can’t run a hockey team. Thumbs up chief. 

Debating with you is debating with a flat earther, you’re wrong yet still throw all your made up facts out there haha. Information is so readily available, it’s 2021. Take advantage of it 

Edited by Marv-the-wet-bandit

17 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Yeah didn't mean for that "shredded" comment to be taken maliciously. You're holding your own just fine.

Re builds take time no doubt. The nostalgia trip that is the '08-'11 run was such a hoot. We dominated. Now it's our turn.

Chicago sucked for a long time.

L.A. as well.

Pittsburgh, Washington.... on and on for many teams. I like your nobility and optimism man.

I felt all along that this year was viewed as developmental from ownership on down.

Not extending all those high ticket contracts was a call that came down from above. Not a good year to spend money at all. Whomever wins this joke of a season will have an asterisk hanging above it forever.

Not my cup of tea.

The waiver acquisitions strengthen that opinion. All expiring contacts, basically fill ins to get through the year.

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

You are getting shredded. You suck. Your opinion on hockey no longer counts. You need to keep repeating yourself because no one buys it because you’re the idiot you call everyone else. Good try though Benning! Unfortunately you can’t articulate yourself well, have zero basic understanding and can’t run a hockey team. Thumbs up chief. 

Debating with you is debating with a flat earther, you’re wrong yet still throw all your made up facts out there haha. Information is so readily available, it’s 2021. Take advantage of it 

Comin from the 27 rep poster you never had a say.

How do you not comprehend that the rebuild didnt start until the Sedins retired in 2018. Talk about trying to have a conversation with a flat earther. 
 Its hard to articulate a clear point to the blind deaf and daft. 

You cant get it through your thick head that the organization was a tire fire when Benning was hired. He made a lot of change in the first offseason and made the playoffs in a very succesful season. Unfortunately the fire was still burning, there were no prospects from previous drafting/development to help put out the fire.

When a GM steps into a new organization, usually there are some pieces in place for him to pick up where the last guy left off.

Yzerman, McPhee, Tallon, Patrick all drafted the big pieces for the next guy. Gillis drafted Horvat and a pile of wet dog sh*t

The ignorance of calling the facts made up yet saying the information is out there, where do you think I got the information from dumba$$

If Benning was a moron he would have resigned Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev like he had done in the past with other vets during years he tried to rebuild/retool on the fly. He walked away from the impending doom of Markstrom and Tanevs career. His pattern of signings have changed from when we were desperate to do something for the Sedins to now thinking long term. The simple simon ass motherf***er you are cant pick up on that.

sure bud, go ahead and resign the old aging players and try repeating another loss to all the other cup contenders out there. Its year 3 of the rebuild, get it through you pea sized brain

4 minutes ago, knucklehead91 said:

Comin from the 27 rep poster you never had a say.

How do you not comprehend that the rebuild didnt start until the Sedins retired in 2018. Talk about trying to have a conversation with a flat earther. 
 Its hard to articulate a clear point to the blind deaf and daft. 

You cant get it through your thick head that the organization was a tire fire when Benning was hired. He made a lot of change in the first offseason and made the playoffs in a very succesful season. Unfortunately the fire was still burning, there were no prospects from previous drafting/development to help put out the fire.

When a GM steps into a new organization, usually there are some pieces in place for him to pick up where the last guy left off.

Yzerman, McPhee, Tallon, Patrick all drafted the big pieces for the next guy. Gillis drafted Horvat and a pile of wet dog sh*t

The ignorance of calling the facts made up yet saying the information is out there, where do you think I got the information from dumba$$

If Benning was a moron he would have resigned Markstrom, Toffoli and Tanev like he had done in the past with other vets during years he tried to rebuild/retool on the fly. He walked away from the impending doom of Markstrom and Tanevs career. His pattern of signings have changed from when we were desperate to do something for the Sedins to now thinking long term. The simple simon ass motherf***er you are cant pick up on that.

sure bud, go ahead and resign the old aging players and try repeating another loss to all the other cup contenders out there. Its year 3 of the rebuild, get it through you pea sized brain

Did you look at the schedules? See how similar they are? You’re insane. I never said the rebuild started once he took over. I said it should have, what’s your reading comprehension level? I agree he tried to re took the first few years which was a MISTAKE and his version of the re took FAILED MISERABLY. Is there something you don’t understand about that? You just say the same things over and over. Broken clock except you aren’t right twice a day. I didn’t say he should have re signed those guys, if he had the cap space I’m sure he would have in his own merit though. He didn’t have enough leash to ha g himself with last off season or he would have. You clearly like all his signings and trades. I know you somehow don’t hold him responsible for all of his mistakes, you keep saying it’s Mike Gillis’ fault lol. And again, he sucked too. I wouldn’t have signed those old players. I would have started the rebuild when I first got there and wouldn’t have attempted to convince the fans that it was a short term re tool that would have us contending in a couple years, like he tried. Don’t assume you know what I would have done, you know nothing. And go look at the schedules you keep claiming was so rough on us to start the year. Go look at our record the 15 games prior to covid you claim we were so hot in. Then you’ll see the facts in black and white. Eliminate the grey area. And stop quoting me. This is a discussion that goes in circles. We both want the Canucks to do well you just think Benning should be given more time, I think his time should be over. Shut up and move on with this discussion. Hopefully in the end we both get what we want and that’s a contending team

40 minutes ago, DSVII said:

On the contrary, Horvat with Markstrom, Tanev and Edler, I think they were the core pieces that masked a lot of the deficiencies this team had in the last few years on the defensive side of the puck and shots given up. 

Sure. A few good pieces, nobody is suggesting otherwise. But compared to a lot of contemporaries, it pales in comparison to the saleable assets and existing prospects those clubs had. Is this really even up for debate? 

I thought this was one of those things both 'sides' agree on? Like Eriksson sucks, Pettersson was a good pick etc.

The team was an old, torture-fella'd, depreciated mess, with a struggling Markstrom, Horvat and Hutton for a 'prospect pool'. Again, it's not NOTHING but it was hardly a starting point any manager would be stoked about short of the blank slate it largely represented.

14 minutes ago, bad alice french said:

Yeah didn't mean for that "shredded" comment to be taken maliciously. You're holding your own just fine.

Re builds take time no doubt. The nostalgia trip that is the '08-'11 run was such a hoot. We dominated. Now it's our turn.

Chicago sucked for a long time.

L.A. as well.

Pittsburgh, Washington.... on and on for many teams. I like your nobility and optimism man.

I felt all along that this year was viewed as developmental from ownership on down.

Not extending all those high ticket contracts was a call that came down from above. Not a good year to spend money at all. Whomever wins this joke of a season will have an asterisk hanging above it forever.

Not my cup of tea.

The waiver acquisitions strengthen that opinion. All expiring contacts, basically fill ins to get through the year.

Haha they can say what ever makes them feel smarter, which isnt hard to do because the posters coming at me arent that bright.

See I appreciate a poster like yourself who can be civil and at least see some of the light at the end of the tunnel even if we dont fully agree or see eye to eye. But if someone cant see a god damn thing infront of them and see the direction we are heading now as opposed to previous seasons and previous tendencies of JBs such as signing vets for overpaid contracts with term. Then they have zero f***ing clue. 

Prior JB tendencies: sign vets to play with the Sedins or fill in for secondary scoring. He tried to buy a second line

JB this past offseason: not signing vets, taking flyers on waiver players.

Im very optimistic about the future of this team because I can see from the GM, the same kind of signings arent being made. Its a sign of a different direction and the right direction. It may take us a couple years to be true contenders. But we will be in a good spot cap wise by then and should be able to make the final moves to get those big fishes that put us over the edge.
That was the element that Nonis and Gillis brought to the 2011 run. Burke did the nasty ground work and drafted well. Nonis and Gillis acquired the missing pieces. It all starts with drafting well, which I believe Benning has done. Now its just a matter of a little more development before acquiring the missing links.

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Sure. A few good pieces, nobody is suggesting otherwise. But compared to a lot of contemporaries, it pales in comparison to the saleable assets and existing prospects those clubs had. Is this really even up for debate? 

I thought this was one of those things both 'sides' agree on? Like Eriksson sucks, Pettersson was a good pick etc.

The team was an old, torture-fella'd, depreciated mess, with a struggling Markstrom, Horvat and Hutton for a 'prospect pool'. Again, it's not NOTHING but it was hardly a starting point any manager would be stoked about short of the blank slate it largely represented.

I agree the team wasn’t in good shape when he took the team over, the roster was generally bad but they did have some pieces that could have been moves, not for the moon and the stars but they could have seen themselves into a much better position. Kesler trade should have been handled much differently. Burrows should have landed us a pick or prospect that worked out, Benning went with Dahlen who was highly thought of at the time but we move him for another long shot prospect and most likely both players never work out in the NHL and it’s his job to evaluate talent, which he does well in the draft so maybe add picks. Hansen for Goldobin is also similar to Dahlen in terms of highly skilled but no substance when he played so Hansen essentially turned into nothing and Hamhuis went for zero when at the time he could have added a pick, not a first and probably not a second but get something. Asset management. I just think he’s been here for 7 years and I don’t have faith in him to do the job. A failed re tool and a half assed rebuild where he rarely added any extra picks and moved out a lot so from my perspective I’ve seen enough and would like a change. He does well at the draft table but doesn’t give himself enough picks and his asset management, trades and signings are poor as a whole