The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

5 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

And Gillis/Benning isn’t the scouts who finds the players.

It’s better to say that Gillis scouts did a bad job and Bennings scouts is great. 

I think I have to repeat, Inge that got Petey to us was hired by Gillis. 

Gillis was directionless with regards to amateur scouting. The scouts are mostly clueless to what to look for.

JB gave structure and give directions to the scouts on what to look for and how to report so everyone is on the same page. This he has experience in as a head scout before.

That is the difference. One gave clear instructions, the other was wishy-washy.

5 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Gillis was directionless with regards to amateur scouting. The scouts are mostly clueless to what to look for.

JB gave structure and give directions to the scouts on what to look for and how to report so everyone is on the same page. This he has experience in as a head scout before.

Benning would make a great head of a scouting department for sure 

15 hours ago, aGENT said:

Sure. A few good pieces, nobody is suggesting otherwise. But compared to a lot of contemporaries, it pales in comparison to the saleable assets and existing prospects those clubs had. Is this really even up for debate? 

I thought this was one of those things both 'sides' agree on? Like Eriksson sucks, Pettersson was a good pick etc.

The team was an old, torture-fella'd, depreciated mess, with a struggling Markstrom, Horvat and Hutton for a 'prospect pool'. Again, it's not NOTHING but it was hardly a starting point any manager would be stoked about short of the blank slate it largely represented.

I think the point here is to at least acknowledge that Benning didn't start with nothing. There was a path Benning could have taken but chose not to, for better or for worse.

It's no small thing that Benning did inherit our captain, our MVP goalie, and the top pairing D that he, in my opinion because I know this is where we disagree, has not managed to fill in the past 7 years. As well as the draft capital and moveable/signable assets when he started here, he just chose not to pursue those routes (Richardson, Mattias, Santorelli). Not to mention the best mentors you can ever have in HOFers in the Sedins for the youth.

Can we 'both sides' this at least? I think it's inaccurate to say Benning was walking into a hollow-out husk.

Edited by DSVII
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

That's it, if you watch video of pre scouting meetings Brackett again  and again emphasised the need for character as well as skill. He did a lot of comparitive probing and he set the structure for the future. It's going to be ironic if Benning is fired AFTER he fired Brackett. FA fired the wrong guy :rolleyes: maybe

14 hours ago, aGENT said:

Fwiw, Karlsson is trending relatively well (as far as a depth prospects go).

And these are the types of returns you get from #asset management. I find it quite humorous to read people complaining about the returns while at the same time complaining that not doing more of them is the reason we're not 'further along'. Oh the ironing! :lol:

I have zero desire to rehash Hamhuis. If people still want to myopically claim we should have got something there. You refuse to face reality.

Karlsson had a really nice season but he’s still a long shot to be an NHLer. Those returns were based on his player evaluations which makes it fair to judge him, no? I mentioned Hamhuis because he said there were no movable assets essentially. I’m not butthurt we didn’t get anything for Hamhuis all these years later, I was just clarifying he was wrong. Benning went the re tool route and said we’d be in contention in a couple years when he took over, that would have been what he sold to ownership to get the job. And we can both agree he failed miserably in that regard, no? The re tool was a failure and just pushed the rebuild back a few years. I understand he’s drafted well and have said so. Unfortunately there’s more to just drafting so I think he needs to go. Also we can put a lot of successes in drafting in Brackett as everything outside of the first round he had final say on and also had a large input into the first rounders. JB was at the helm of a very successful drafting period for the Canucks, no doubt. It’s just too bad he was insufficient in other areas of team building 

3 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

It's going to be ironic if Benning is fired AFTER he fired Brackett.

Can you please provide a link stating J.B. fired Brackett?

Or retract your statement?

My biggest issue on this site is all the made up crap, and afaik that statement is just that, made up crap.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Gillis did not emphasise scouting as much  as he should, he did hire Brackett, but apart from that there seemed to be a void. In fact in an interview he admitted he gave his scouts too much time to prove themselves before he made wholesale chnages. He stated it was a overdue, & a review that was needed

6 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

That's it, if you watch video of pre scouting meetings Brackett again  and again emphasised the need for character as well as skill. He did a lot of comparitive probing and he set the structure for the future. It's going to be ironic if Benning is fired AFTER he fired Brackett. FA fired the wrong guy :rolleyes: maybe

Not this again:picard:

Brackett take direction from the GM and JB identified and let him blossom. No reason to think JB can't find the next Brackett. 

Let's see how Brackett do in Minnesota. So far Canucks doesn't look like to have missed a beat without him. 

Don't want to quote you twice.

Too bad Gillis realized too little too late.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

Karlsson had a really nice season but he’s still a long shot to be an NHLer. Those returns were based on his player evaluations which makes it fair to judge him, no? I mentioned Hamhuis because he said there were no movable assets essentially. I’m not butthurt we didn’t get anything for Hamhuis all these years later, I was just clarifying he was wrong. Benning went the re tool route and said we’d be in contention in a couple years when he took over, that would have been what he sold to ownership to get the job. And we can both agree he failed miserably in that regard, no? The re tool was a failure and just pushed the rebuild back a few years. I understand he’s drafted well and have said so. Unfortunately there’s more to just drafting so I think he needs to go. Also we can put a lot of successes in drafting in Brackett as everything outside of the first round he had final say on and also had a large input into the first rounders. JB was at the helm of a very successful drafting period for the Canucks, no doubt. It’s just too bad he was insufficient in other areas of team building 

For get Karlsson. putting up stats in a low league is not the way to get an NHL contract  ( 

Allsvenskan )

7 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Not this again:picard:

Brackett take direction from the GM and JB identified and let him blossom. No reason to think JB can't find the next Brackett. 

Let's see how Brackett do in Minnesota. So far Canucks doesn't look like to have missed a beat without him. 

Don't want to quote you twice.

Too bad Gillis realized too little too late.

So who replaced him ? There are those that realize that was the crux of the problem. I'm no longer a fan  of JB his, the teams crummy record does nothing to inspire me

Edited by Fred65

For get Karlsson. putting up stats in a low league is not the way to get an NHL contract  ( 

Allsvenskan )

I said he was a long shot to make the NHL. I don’t think he will but it would be a nice coup for the team if he found himself in a bottom 6 role. I was responding to someone who said he had a really good year, which he did. That league probably isn’t rated as low as you think it is. Good players have come from and will continue to come from that league

• Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

So who replaced him ? There are those that realize that was the crux of the problem. I'm no longer a fan of a fan of JB his, the teams crummy record does nothing to inspire me

The guy that was in all the draft video last year. Sometimes people don't get title change when they get new responsibilities. 

This has nothing to do with Benning, just people who think Brackett is a god. 

• Cheers 1

10 minutes ago, gurn said:

Can you please provide a link stating J.B. fired Brackett?

Or retract your statement?

My biggest issue on this site is all the made up crap, and afaik that statement is just that, made up crap.

Good gracious there is a flaw with responder in that mixing literal with comment. JB offered a contract that include nothing that Brackett had asked for ie a raise !!!! that in MY books is firing a guy especially when he could have a pick of the teams in the league to go to. Brackett was unemployed for I believe 10-14 days. He did the same with Gilman and it looks like Clarke is heading out the door to say nothing of Taffoli ( I ran out of time, I have some swamp ln in Florida for sale ... are you interested ) there's one 

15 minutes ago, Marv-the-wet-bandit said:

I said he was a long shot to make the NHL. I don’t think he will but it would be a nice coup for the team if he found himself in a bottom 6 role. I was responding to someone who said he had a really good year, which he did. That league probably isn’t rated as low as you think it is. Good players have come from and will continue to come from that league

First off..... there's th entire SEL players ahead of him to say nothing of the AHL

2 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

First off..... there's th entire SEL players ahead of him to say nothing of the AHL

Again, I said he’s a long shot to play in the NHL. You know what league Pettersson was drafted from right? He’s 21 and had a fantastic season in the league, is it tier 1 in Sweden? No but it’s still highly respected. It’s not nearly as bad a league as you seem to think it is. He will at the least get into AHL games at some point and if he’s in Sweden next year there’s a good chance it’s at the SHL level. You’re making it sound like I said he was a lock to play which clearly isn’t what was said 

• Cheers 1

Karlsson is in one of the better SHL clubs now.

A lot of the SHL player are either too old or failures from NA. 

So Karlsson is in a similar position as Höglander when he got to play in SHL. 

• Cheers 1

47 minutes ago, Fred65 said:

Good gracious there is a flaw with responder in that mixing literal with comment. JB offered a contract that include nothing that Brackett had asked for ie a raise !!!! that in MY books is firing a guy especially when he could have a pick of the teams in the league to go to. Brackett was unemployed for I believe 10-14 days. He did the same with Gilman and it looks like Clarke is heading out the door to say nothing of Taffoli ( I ran out of time, I have some swamp ln in Florida for sale ... are you interested ) there's one 

So you made crap up.

Bye, bye.

5 minutes ago, gurn said:

So you made crap up.

Bye, bye.

Nope that's what you said, not me. I believe that circumstances were created by management where leaving was the only option. For instance I've never heard any one say Brackett was bad at his job ( that's the usual death knoll for an employee) many suggest there was a war on demarcation and that's why he was "let go" But it was a created situation by JB

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

The guy that was in all the draft video last year. Sometimes people don't get title change when they get new responsibilities. 

This has nothing to do with Benning, just people who think Brackett is a god. 

I thought IMO Brackett brought order where there was none. The order introduced many extended facets of making value based judgement and it's paid off, the guy who has gained the most from this is Todd Harvey who from what i can determine is the presumptive Brackett replacement and Todd better hope JB remains in the organization

55 minutes ago, Timråfan said:

Karlsson is in one of the better SHL clubs now.

A lot of the SHL player are either too old or failures from NA. 

So Karlsson is in a similar position as Höglander when he got to play in SHL. 

Except he hasn't, ..... gone to the SEL. If he does, and he does well, then and only then can we even start to think of a future