The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Seven years without a clear plan from Canucks brass.

Rate this topic

appleboy

13 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

It will be interesting to see how Benning supporters defend him if he puts up a bunch of bad re-signings this off season.

Not saying he will, but if he thinks Edler is a good deal for 2 years at 4 mil because he is making 6 now (lets call this the Tanner Pearson argument, its what he said there). Or Sutter for 3 years at 3 mil because he is making over 4 now. Or Hamonic at 3x3 with a nmc. Or even if he signs middle if the road UFA to long term deals.

People are saying it can not possibly happen. I wouldnt be so sure. Benning dodged a bullet if he stays. He will only be more desperate to kick start a turnaround.

I will honestly not be surprised but will be genuinely interested in hearing all the reasons those are fantastic contracts if that happens. Or at the very least dont hurt us.

Benning's actually quite ruthless in resigning players the past 2-3 years. I do expect him to nail down Edler's AAV. 3million seems fair to me if he is to resign and play a #4-5 guy. Pearson's 3.25mil is not too bad for what he brings. The guy did get 45 points last year in 69 games. But if he performs like this season for the next 3 years, then this will be a pretty bad signing. 

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Look again at our roster. Not sure of our exact average age but we arent actually a very young team at all. Nor will we be next year if, as expected, Edler, Sutter, and Hamonic are back.

We are younger than we were when Benning took over but it would be hard to be older.

This year we were the 7th youngest team.  And that's with Edler and LE on the roster 26.35 ....  next year we will be even younger.    Once LE and Edler is gone possibly jump right to 2,3.   That's a young roster.  

• Thanks 2
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Benning's actually quite ruthless in resigning players the past 2-3 years. I do expect him to nail down Edler's AAV. 3million seems fair to me if he is to resign and play a #4-5 guy. Pearson's 3.25mil is not too bad for what he brings. The guy did get 45 points last year in 69 games. But if he performs like this season for the next 3 years, then this will be a pretty bad signing. 

My opinion, I hope Benning gets Hamonic signed up for at least 3 years, he's a good, steady, 4 or 5, plus he's a righty! I still think Edler is going to ride into the sunset, that's my feeling. If he does come back, no more than $3M per as you say. The bottom 6, depending on Beagle's health needs to be addressed at center. NO, to Domi! Is Sutter's contract up this seasons end? If he wasn't so brittle, he would be great to have in the room, and in the faceoff circle. This team isn't going anywhere if the lineup is full of kids, in a full season, none of them are ready for that. Especially the bottom 6. Thus, Highmore, Vesey??, Hawryluk, and Graovac will be at camp in September.

• Cheers 1

The supports should be happy he had 2 years left on his contract otherwise he’d be gone.

Retaining him was $$$$ saving move not a move of support. 
if his contract expired he wouldn’t be back making clear he’s just here because of money owed.

Hope they hire a president that puts a leash on this stupid idiot.  

This management has no plan in place at all. They are lost. Including the owners.

Jim is now in charge of signing Hughes and Petey. There is very little cap space to add much else. Next year, more of the same!

We will be drafting outside of the ten spot.

1 hour ago, appleboy said:

This management has no plan in place at all. They are lost. Including the owners.

Jim is now in charge of signing Hughes and Petey. There is very little cap space to add much else. Next year, more of the same!

We will be drafting outside of the ten spot.

Some fans just don't have foresight.  By letting CAL take most of the 80 million from our 5 guys last off season over 4-6 years he's opened the door to complete the rebuild and be BETTER then we were.   Just in case i  need to spell out the plan- it's to do not much of anything and then take full advantage of the 20 or so million opening two off seasons from now.   Covid will still be a factor.   

Edit:  Better then average and better then i expected.   Still think it will parts of this core and the next one that will contend.   But at least he's given this one a chance - of which we had very little of.    Only thing that scares me is if he goes to free agency this off-season to do nothing but spend to the cap.  Pretty sure that's not the plan. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 2

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

Benning regularly gives players premium dollars, term, and trade protection. I live in the world of ruthless contract negotiators, Benning is not considered ruthless by very many around the NHL, the opposite is widely said actually. Agents love dealing with him if their client is a veteran player. 

In no world do i want Edler eating 3 mil cap on this team. The other problem is it takes a strong willed coach to demote a guy like Edler to a bottom pairing role and I just dont see that happening. He will still be our 20 plus minute shutdown pair guy if he is back. 

And as much as he has done for the team over the years, that means our defense will continue to suck.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Some fans just don't have foresight.  By letting CAL take most of the 80 million from our 5 guys last off season over 4-6 years he's opened the door to complete the rebuild and be BETTER then we were.   Just in case i  need to spell out the plan- it's to do not much of anything and then take full advantage of the 20 or so million opening two off seasons from now.   Covid will still be a factor.   

Edit:  Better then average and better then i expected.   Still think it will parts of this core and the next one that will contend.   But at least he's given this one a chance - of which we had very little of.    Only thing that scares me is if he goes to free agency this off-season to do nothing but spend to the cap.  Pretty sure that's not the plan. 

We'll see @IBatch. A lot of these fans 'with no foresight' were being ridiculed on here in 2015-2016 for suggesting we try and tank for high picks and accumulate more through trades. I remember back then that being a 'tanker' was something that was derided and ridiculed here, but it's an ironic twist that it is now wholly embraced by the pro-mgmt side with some of the old tanker's talking points thrown back at those critical of management then for not going for a true rebuild.

I've shown my work in prior posts, but Benning is due for a series of cascading UFA signings from our core starting with Miller and Bo in 2023 and then Petey/Hughes, then Hoglander/Podz. We really only have that one year in 2023 where the cap situation lines up that he can make a push before he has to make decisions on how much to allocate to the core players and keeping Miller. Similar to 2020, there is no locked in cost certainty on the horizon to really say that there is a steady window to compete for the team.

Basically, let's not have another Sven Baerschi situation here. Get some value on those UFA deals.

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

We'll see @IBatch. A lot of these fans 'with no foresight' were being ridiculed on here in 2015-2016 for suggesting we try and tank for high picks and accumulate more through trades. I remember back then that being a 'tanker' was something that was derided and ridiculed here, but it's an ironic twist that it is now wholly embraced by the pro-mgmt side with some of the old tanker's talking points thrown back at those critical of management then for not going for a true rebuild.

I've shown my work in prior posts, but Benning is due for a series of cascading UFA signings from our core starting with Miller and Bo in 2023 and then Petey/Hughes, then Hoglander/Podz. We really only have that one year in 2023 where the cap situation lines up that he can make a push before he has to make decisions on how much to allocate to the core players and keeping Miller. Similar to 2020, there is no locked in cost certainty on the horizon to really say that there is a steady window to compete for the team.

Basically, let's not have another Sven Baerschi situation here. Get some value on those UFA deals.

So the 'problem' is that Benning has traded for or drafted so many good players that we will have to make hard decisions on who to keep in a couple years?

See, I knew we agreed he's done a largely above average-good job! :P

• Vintage 2

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

Trading Miller is low hanging fruit.   Back then tanking wasn't the route taken.   Like it or not, for nine years of drafting the only player they made an impact was Horvat, and it took time to rebuild a pool.    Fortunately it was done despite the route the team took at the start otherwise we'd be completely hosed.  

At the start i had the "foresight" to think the best we'd do is contend with parts of this core and the following one.   It's what happens when a top team falls to earth, and has to pay the piper.   DET is doing that right now,  SJ will be soon as well - at least their re-tool almost worked .  

JB has at least given this core a chance to contend.   One more year isn't going to do much given the course we are on. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

It’s clear now owners want to save money so they keep a garbage gm employed. 

can’t say I blame them7 years of watching this idiot burn millions with a franchise worst winning %. What’s one more season of failures at this point. 

• RoughGame 1

2 minutes ago, combover said:

It’s clear now owners want to save money so they keep a garbage gm employed. 

can’t say I blame them7 years of watching this idiot burn millions with a franchise worst winning %. What’s one more season of failures at this point. 

What they have done is " lame ducked" him.  He can't sign any deals without their approval.

That is my guess. 

They will take next year to decide who will be his replacement. Jim won't be allowed sign any long term deals except for the kids. The owners will be all over those two deals. 

2022 will see a new management crew in place . Cap troubles will be over with.

• Upvote 1

Just now, appleboy said:

What they have done is " lame ducked" him.  He can't sign any deals without their approval.

That is my guess. 

They will take next year to decide who will be his replacement. Jim won't be allowed sign any long term deals except for the kids. The owners will be all over those two deals. 

And just like Nonis waiting for Burke's deals to go away, whomever comes in next gets to look like the hero.  Maybe even JB gets to, who knows - as long as he doesn't spend 15 million on a 37 year old i suppose it's ok. 

4 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That is my guess. 

100%

a lot like Gillis last year , torts got hired after Gillis was clear he was looking for a totally different style of coach. 
benning firmly under the FA thumb for maximum puppet status now. 

I sure hope the Sedins courtnal stay away and talk to linden about the shyte show circus FA and his dancing monkey JB have created

15 minutes ago, appleboy said:

That is my guess. 

I doubt Jim would be making any long term deals (outside Hughes/Pettersson... Which will likely be bridges as well anyway) this summer regardless. Not part of the plan.

10 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I doubt Jim would be making any long term deals (outside Hughes/Pettersson... Which will likely be bridges as well anyway) this summer regardless. Not part of the plan.

I know you truly hope that they have a plan. I think they keep throwing spit balls at the wall hopping something will stick.

I think the lack of change this year and for next is because of poor management. Jim's bad deals have come back to haunt them. No use bringing in someone new when their hands would be tied for next year anyway. 

Might as well let Jim draft. He has been successful doing that.    Right? 

Anyway , we will see what they let him do in the off season. That will tell us a lot.  All we are doing is guessing.

1 minute ago, appleboy said:

I know you truly hope that they have a plan. I think they keep throwing spit balls at the wall hopping something will stick.

I think the lack of change this year and for next is because of poor management. Jim's bad deals have come back to haunt them. No use bringing in someone new when their hands would be tied for next year anyway. 

Might as well let Jim draft. He has been successful doing that.    Right? 

Anyway , we will see what they let him do in the off season. That will tell us a lot.  All we are doing is guessing.

We weren't big game UFA hunting this summer regardless IMO.

1-Look to expansion draft as a pressure point to make a trade (RD and 3C as holes to fill if opportunity arises. Can we swing Foote? Jenner? Someone else?).

2-See who we lose in ED.

3-Re-up Hughes and Pettersson.

4-Buyout Eriksson (perhaps also Virtanen/or contract voided).

5-Depending on how 1 went, look at options to fill those holes (Bring back Hamonic? Look in to Larsson or Savard? Re-up Sutter?)

6-Draft.

7-Gauge Edler's interest in returning for lower $

We're still exiting the tail end of our rebuild before the core hits their prime. We only need some 'bridge' players to get there and keep the team moving forward and fill some holes. It's not time to push all the chips in yet.

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

We weren't big game UFA hunting this summer regardless IMO.

1-Look to expansion draft as a pressure point to make a trade (RD and 3C as holes to fill if opportunity arises. Can we swing Foote? Jenner? Someone else?).

2-See who we lose in ED.

3-Re-up Hughes and Pettersson.

4-Buyout Eriksson (perhaps also Virtanen/or contract voided).

5-Depending on how 1 went, look at options to fill those holes (Bring back Hamonic? Look in to Larsson or Savard? Re-up Sutter?)

6-Draft.

7-Gauge Edler's interest in returning for lower $

We're still exiting the tail end of our rebuild before the core hits their prime. We only need some 'bridge' players to get there and keep the team moving forward and fill some holes. It's not time to push all the chips in yet.

I hope this will be a down year. Not too down.  It would be for the best. Clean up the problem deals with time. Buying out LE gives up very little space. I think Jake will be gone. His deal is built for a buyout.  Holtby's contract is also but I bet he stays if not grabbed in ED.

Sign a couple of one year deals to fill a hole or two that the kids don't fill. Maybe actually try to acquire a pick or two at the TD this year. Give Trent and his staff a chance to adjust to the NHL. B) ( I don't think they will pay Green)

Bring in a new management crew for 2022.

BUT, FOR GOD SAKES SIGN CLARK!