The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Container Ship Stuck in Suez Canal Freed

DonLever

42 minutes ago, RUPERTKBD said:

The Q-Anon crowd can't resist making everything about the "Deep State"....this time it's Hillary:

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/25/facebook-posts/evergreen-ship-blocking-suez-canal-not-linked-hill/

I'm not even kidding....:picard:

I was disappointed they didn't tie the Skytrain Evergreen line into the theory somehow.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

...the front of the ship is stuck in sandy clay, but the rear “has not been completely pushed into the clay and that is positive because you can use the rear end to pull it free.”

Berdowski said two large tugboats were on their way to the canal and are expected to arrive over the weekend. He said the company aims to harness the power of the tugs, dredging and tides, which he said are expected to be up to 50 centimetres (20 inches) higher Saturday.

“The combination of the (tug) boats we will have there, more ground dredged away and the high tide, we hope that will be enough to get the ship free somewhere early next week,” he said.

If that doesn’t work, the company will remove hundreds of containers from the front of the ship to lighten it, effectively lifting the ship to make it easier to pull free, Berdowski said.

https://globalnews.ca/news/7723333/suez-canal-ship-grounded-saturday/

SUEZ, Egypt (Reuters) - Efforts to dislodge a giant container ship blocking the Suez Canal had allowed its stern and rudder to move on Saturday, but it remained unclear when it could be refloated, the head of the canal authority said.

The 400-metre (430-yard) long Ever Given became wedged diagonally across a southern section of the canal amid high winds early on Tuesday, disrupting global shipping by blocking one of the world's busiest waterways.

SEE ALSO: Stranded ship cut open, revealing 4,000 cars inside

About 15% of world shipping traffic transits the canal, and hundreds of vessels are waiting to pass through the waterway once the blockage has been cleared.

Suez Canal Authority (SCA) Chairman Osama Rabie said he hoped it would not be necessary to resort to removing some of the 18,300 containers from the ship to lighten its load, but that strong tides and winds were complicating efforts to free it.

"The ship's stern began to move towards Suez, and that was a positive sign until 11 p.m. (2100 GMT) at night, but the tide fell significantly and we stopped," Rabie told journalists in Suez.

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/suez-canal-suspends-traffic-as-ship-stuck-like-beached-whale

On 3/27/2021 at 1:27 AM, debluvscanucks said:

"High winds" ... that would have to be a hell of a gust.  I'm skeptical.

It’s surprising at how much a little wind makes a difference, especially on something with the surface area as a highly stacked cargo ship. Plus the responsiveness of a ship that size is slow so if whoever is at the helm is slow to recognise the situation it can lead to a slow but inevitable conclusion 

Much like this scene 

Edited by UKNuck96

If you look at how long that ship is, and compare it to the width of the canal, it doesn't take much to go aground.

I've heard it was high winds and/or a steering gear failure.

I'd think it was about 10 degrees off course and when she struck at the bow the stern kept going, leading to the cork.

Seeing this reminds me of how potentialy dangerous it is to have 2 super ferries passing each other in Active Pass.

1115040470_activepass.jpg.76b8cbe7da48efd9b0cb22ae2149415b.jpg

Just a matter of time before something goes wrong again.

I say again because there have been mulriple accidents in the Pass.

Queen of Cumberland,heading towards Swartz Bay experienced a "blackout" losing engines and steering, but fortunately got spat out of the pass and they got things working before she drifted on to the Provost Island shore.

Queen of Victoria, got sliced almost in half by a Soviet frieghter.

Queen of Alberni aground on Pender Island.

Should mention I've been quatermaster on multiple ferries going through the pass, Queens of Cumberland, Saanich , Esquimalt, Mayne Queen, Skeeena Queen and the Spirit of Vanouver Island.

The 2 "super" ferries meet after both make a starboard turn, passing much less than a ship lenght apart.

Someday there will be a malfunction, either human or mechanical error.

Reason they still do this?    Makes a great picture for the tourists.

Upto 2100 people on a Spirit class.

did I mention that the current from the tides makes steering quite tricky?

I was once given permission by the captain to run over a sailboat, if neccesary. Guy in the sailboat was trying to transit the pass, using nothing but his sails; an illegal act.. Current caught him and he was comning towards us broaside, we couldn't go to starboard or we'd hit Pender Island and to port was another super ferry.Just as the sailboat was going out of my sight line, from being to close, he regained control of his ship. Close call.

• Thanks 1

On 3/26/2021 at 8:30 PM, nucklehead said:

no truth to the rumour that the couple from the queen of the north were at the helm

It's a bit of a sore spot for those of us who live in the area and know people that were on that boat.....but I have to confess, something similar came to my mind right away....:blush:

• Cheers 1

I was just reading that the Tanker has been refloated.

The Suez canal authority chairman stated that tugs dislodged the bow of the ship from the eastern bank of the canal.

"We are not finished yet but it has moved".

• Cheers 1