The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canadian Gov't Approves 7 Day Quarantine Period For US Players

Rate this topic

-DLC-

35 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

How so?

If anything this increases our chances by opening up new trade partners.

Before this, Canadian teams have to trade within Canada to avoid the two week quarantine forcing the price up for ours and Ottawa's players as we are the only two team in town that are sellers. With this move, it become inconsequential to whom the Canadian teams can trade with as it all falls within the NHL's one week quarantine rule for any player movement that require a flight of some sort.

It also wouldn't have hindered us trading to US teams before this change as there is no two week quarantine for a player moving to the US as US don't require any sort of quarantine when you travel across the border. The two week was imposed by the Canadian government, not the NHL.

We just lost a ton of leverage over Canadian teams that we can drive the price up with and frankly now, the other Canadian teams have way more and better choices than our players thus eliminating any sort of market for them. Don't expect any player movement at the deadline. There will be no takers now.

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Of course people are whining all over the internet about this.

"Waaaa I should be able to do this when I return from travel".

Except it's a little different because these guys are working/on the job and have strict protocol and daily testing in place.

Wonder if it applies to Albertan politicians?:P

20 minutes ago, 24K PureCool said:

Before this, Canadian teams have to trade within Canada to avoid the two week quarantine forcing the price up for ours and Ottawa's players as we are the only two team in town that are sellers. With this move, it become inconsequential to whom the Canadian teams can trade with as it all falls within the NHL's one week quarantine rule for any player movement that require a flight of some sort.

It also wouldn't have hindered us trading to US teams before this change as there is no two week quarantine for a player moving to the US as US don't require any sort of quarantine when you travel across the border. The two week was imposed by the Canadian government, not the NHL.

We just lost a ton of leverage over Canadian teams that we can drive the price up with and frankly now, the other Canadian teams have way more and better choices than our players thus eliminating any sort of market for them. Don't expect any player movement at the deadline. There will be no takers now.

True we lost leverage over 2-3 Canadian teams but we’ve gained better access to the other divisions. Could be a win.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, debluvscanucks said:

Except it's a little different because these guys are working/on the job and have strict protocol and daily testing in place.

I mean I expect somesort of a shorter quarantine for those traveling that are fully vaccinated. 

Damn I want to go home again.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Gotta say Benning held on for too long. Realistically, they should have traded Pearson sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

There was no market yet. Montreal only made the deal after this went through. I bet the others were holding out too. 

This was out of JB's control.

Edited by 24K PureCool
  • Cheers 2

13 hours ago, debluvscanucks said:

Absolutely a good decision by our government to help one of our national past times compete against the US based 3/4 of the NHL. 

The players are travelling from one 'bubble' to another 'bubble'. 

They are tested daily, according to a Canucks staffer I talk to, at every team involved.

We have truckers lined up dozens deep at the border crossings daily to move food and goods into and out of both nations already and yes they are feeding us which is essential but they are also bringing us Playstation 5's and samsung galaxy note 20's and ball caps and a great many things that are not quite so essential but important to our economic and entertainment sectors. The NHL players are no different than those items in the trucks, sorry to be crass about humans, but they are like a goods and service that is being provided to canadians to help entertain us while we are all supposed to be in our own little bubbles being safe.

I 100% approve, and I would approve if it was baseball or basketball or lacrosse players too: despite my not being a direct fan of those sports. 

IMO this is one of those times the goverment is working in our favour with scientific principles allowing this relaxing of the rules for what amounts to maybe a dozen guys in total? And for me the most important part is that Canadian clubs can compete for available talent being shipped out of Yankee clubs. (*It may also allow some of the LEAFS to ship out south and get out of our playoff bubble, haha. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Dazzle said:

Gotta say Benning held on for too long. Realistically, they should have traded Pearson sooner. Hindsight is 20/20 though.

Any sooner we were in the midst of attempting to right the season and push for playoffs. He couldn't have traded Pearson during that period of time, what kind of message would that have sent to the team. It would have been nice to see him traded for picks or assets, and maybe he still can, but it just didn't work out that way with his injury.

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 70seven said:

This is good if we wanna take advantage of the current week off...  I’m hoping a pitch for Domi along the lines of Virtanen, Roo, and a pick.  Would love for Bo to have another winger he meshes with. 

If we could package Virtanen for Domi I'd be ecstatic.

• Like 1

Glad they made this change, not that it will open the flood gates to a bunch of trades in a flat cap world. I would like to see us try and move #21 and #18 to Florida for Stralman who recently passed waivers and Connolly who went thru waivers earlier in the year.

We take on 1 year longer with Connolly, but save 500k with Stralman vs the Mop and he is actually a player we could use vs the Mop who sits up high and keeps refreshing his online bank account during Canuck games.

Doubt Florida does it but one could hold out hope...think I will win the lottery before JB pulls it off tho