The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what did we gain by not re-signing any of Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli?

Rate this topic

grouse747

6 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Markstrom now at .898 save percentage, his worst in like 8 years. It only took joining Calgary, to destroy his abilities ;)

this shouldn't make me as happy as it does. 

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, smithers joe said:

i hope during this covid break, JB can get petey and huggy signed. then he'll know what else he can afford.

apparently, beagle's injury will keep him side lined this season and probably part of next season too.

I'd say signing Nikita Tryamkin should also be a priority.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I'd say signing Nikita Tryamkin should also be a priority.

Agree completely!

Although, I'm not sure if we're safe to do it before the expansion draft. Not 100% on whether we'd have to protect him or if he would be exempt as his contract wouldn't start till July 1

Edited by VegasCanuck
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

With all the smaller, puck-moving, offensively minded defensemen on the team and in the prospect pipeline, having a massive defenseman who can play is a necessity. 

If he did nothing more than create a face print in the glass with some teeth sticking out, from Brad Marchand, I'd be totally thrilled with him on the team! 

• Vintage 1

THANKS FOR ALL THE GREAT RESPONSES :)

it was a serious technical question as opposed to carping about JB.. 

so it seems we chose getting Nate Schmidt and signing a veteran backup goalie (Holtby) over realistically TT as the player we might have kept... we had an imbalance of good F/D, so I would have suggested trading Miller or Horvat if we had kept TT. I think Miller is the obvious choice. I think Boeser brings something unique. Horvat is leader, good lead-by-example and very good on face-offs.

I wasn't in favour of resigning Tanev given circumstances..... basically his age. although now I think 1) his type of game wouldn't be as effected by losing a step or two as others, 2) he is realistic the one thing you could point to in terms of Canucks being better last year. I think Demko vs. Markstrom is a wash (although Demko wasn't so great early... and Holtby not good as backup). we wouldn't be much better with last year's TT. this year's TT, yes, although he wouldn't get to feast on the Canucks if he played for them.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, WestCoastDave said:

I tried looking for the original Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli thread with no luck.  But anyways, congrats to those that placed Toffoli as their top ranking (me included).  I also mentioned Stecher as someone to resign and he had a very good season. 

Tanev had a great season too.

I agree that letting both Tanev and Markstrom walk was the correct thing to do as neither of their contracts will likely age well as we enter our ‘window.’

The Toffoli thing really makes me upset however, and I wonder if we could have found a way to afford him.

1) I get that we needed to insulate Demko with a proven back up goalie (Holtby).

2) I get that we needed to find another top 4 quality defenseman with the departure of Tanev (Schmidt).

But letting Toffoli walk is almost Inexcusable and I’m a little at a loss as to why we let him go.......especially in light of the fact that we ended up resigning Tanner Pearson.  

Trading Virtanen for scraps and sending Eriksson to the minors likely would have been enough, cap wise, to being Toffoli back to the fold and so I’m not sure what management was thinking on this.   

The only thing that I can think of is that they must be VERY confident regarding Podkolzin, but even then, why not just build three scoring lines?

• Like 1

On 4/8/2021 at 10:28 AM, VegasCanuck said:

Markstrom now at .898 save percentage, his worst in like 8 years. It only took joining Calgary, to destroy his abilities ;)

Canucks got rid of Markstrom at the right time.  Tanev had a great year this past year, but I also don’t think he’ll age well.   Letting Toffoli walk however is something that infuriates me to no end.   I’d really be interested in knowing management’s thought process behind this.  

Move Virtanen for scraps + Eriksson to the minors = 3.5 million does it not?   Move Benn for a 7th rounder and voila.......there’s your Toffoli money.   

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WestCoastDave said:

Yes, he did.  I wouldn't mind bringing him back, but only with a short term deal.  With his injury history, the question is how long his body will last.

im fine with him gone hes solid defensive player no offense or ohysicslity bot worth 4.5mill

Hopefully Uncle Jim sticks with the game plan he started last year with unloading those guys and DOES NOT resign the 'over the hill- useless crowd - Edler, Sutter, Beagle. Motte and Roussel (next year) and all those late season left over wire picks from Toronto and if possible they write off LE once and for all.   

Edited by RU SERIOUS

5 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Hopefully Uncle Jim sticks with the game plan he started last year with unloading those guys and DOES NOT resign the 'over the hill- useless crowd - Edler, Sutter, Beagle. Motte and Roussel (next year) and all those late season left over wire picks from Toronto and if possible they write off LE once and for all.   

I hope you're right.  But JB says they'll be aggressive and make the playoffs next season.  

It's a cap world and we need a steady influx of good cheap ELC to offset the $$ from our core.  Sorta be like TB (without the cap problems) and cycle out non-core good players for high draft picks.