The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what did we gain by not re-signing any of Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli?

Rate this topic

18 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Tanev was given an offer and said he would sleep on it. A short while later his deal with Calgary was announced.

Ah yes I do remember that! Benning said that. I believe mid next day he signed with Calgary 

28 minutes ago, Squamfan said:

Nope u have it wrong. No offer was made , no communication with Chris

We made an offer on day one of free agency, just insultingly low balled him. ($4 million x 2 Years)

https://twitter.com/DhaliwalSports/status/1314759938351132747?s=20

(keep in mind though some posters choose not to believe in the Media sources like Rick Dhaliwal, so take this for what you will)

Edited by DSVII
  • Hydration 1

Unrestricted free agent Chris Tanev has signed a four year deal with the Calgary Flames, according to multiple reports, the first of which came from TSN1040’s Rick Dhaliwal.

Tanev looking at 4 years and 4.5 M in Calgary.

— Rick Dhaliwal (@DhaliwalSports) October 10, 2020

The full breakdown of the deal isn’t known at this point, but Tanev will be joining forces with Jacob Markstrom in Calgary, as the goaltender signed a 6 year deal worth $36 million earlier today.

The Canucks’ reportedly offered Tanev a two-year deal in the $4 million range.

When Canucks general manager Jim Benning spoke to media this afternoon, he said that Tanev planned to sleep on it and make the Canucks aware of his decision by Saturday morning. It now appears as though Tanev had an afternoon nap before coming to a decision this evening.

• Hydration 2
  • Sedinery 1
  • Vintage 1
3 minutes ago, RWMc1 said:

Unrestricted free agent Chris Tanev has signed a four year deal with the Calgary Flames, according to multiple reports, the first of which came from TSN1040’s Rick Dhaliwal.

The full breakdown of the deal isn’t known at this point, but Tanev will be joining forces with Jacob Markstrom in Calgary, as the goaltender signed a 6 year deal worth $36 million earlier today.

When Canucks general manager Jim Benning spoke to media this afternoon, he said that Tanev planned to sleep on it and make the Canucks aware of his decision by Saturday morning. It now appears as though Tanev had an afternoon nap before coming to a decision this evening.

The point of contention really, is that the first offer should have come well before day 1 of UFA if we really meant to keep Tanev so you have time to negotiate back and forth, but Benning used that time chasing OEL. 

Again, if we absolve Benning for this, Weisbrod should have kept up communication with Tanev and work with him. 

9 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

How is half a million dollars and 2 years less "Insulting?"

Last year was the first in many years he was pretty much injury free. 

So if the Canucks low-ball Edler, and Sutter and they walk will you freak out still? Because that's possible. 

Not really, because unlike Edler or Sutter, Tanev is still maintaining his level of play at this stage of his career. Arguably, I think him having his first injury free year playing with Hughes was no accident. They really complemented each other well.

The two years of term is huge for a player who essentially is thinking this is their last chance to get a big contract before entering the twilight of their years. For a guy like Chris, I don't think it's a big ask. certainly not bigger than other commitments we made before to weaker players.

Edler is three years older than Tanev and has more mileage on his body, I think if he doesn't take a lower contract next year I'm fine with him walking or retiring. Sutter is not as important to our forward core as Tanev was to our D core. Tanner was one of the real culture carriers for this team and it's a shame the team was not willing to make the commitment to him the same way they chose to commit to other older veteran players in free agency that had no history here.

Edited by DSVII
31 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

We got to keep Eriksson, Sutter, Beagle and Roussel...so there's that...

Hopefully Benning will re-sign Erickson when his current contract expires. Even if he has to move Petterson or Boeser. Whatever it takes! Erickson does a lot of the little things and he is so responsible defensively.  Since he is getting a little older I'm thinking maybe $4m X3. Seems reasonable for such a fan favourite.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Chris Tanev also stated he’d re sign for 1 year to stay a Canuck if he had to. To offer the guy 2 years 4 million per seems reasonable considering last year was his first healthy season.

Funny the tables turn from the narrative of JB signing long term deals to aging players. Last year he does the opposite and let’s them go 

• Thanks 2
3 hours ago, grouse747 said:

simple question,

would re-resigning one of the 3 have made it very tricky to give QH and EP the long-term contracts they deserve?

or did we not re-sign any of them to give us some flexibility to add a few much cheaper pieces over the next couple of years?

I think Toffoli was the obvious one to keep......... Markstrom would have been the no-brainer without Demko here.

I did go back 5 or 6 pages of the forum to try to find a Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli thread to append this question.. no luck.

thanks in advance :) ... and it's not a rhetorical question. I actually don't know/remember the answer.... 

Simple answer...big picture. 
Smell what JB is cooking. :towel:

2 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

Is this true?

Just an absolute joke if that's actually how it went down.

its true he got distracted by OEL , The coyotes literally schooled him

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, RWMc1 said:

there was no communication with him until Calgary made the offer. It pretty insulting that u only contact your UFA when other team made offers to them

• RoughGame 1

How about showing us the proof...in other words the truth. 
As we know the press often blurt out stories out of their rears with their hair on fire before they investigate and find the truth. 

Edited by spur1
  • Hydration 4
2 hours ago, RWMc1 said:

Tanev was given an offer and said he would sleep on it. A short while later his deal with Calgary was announced.

Actually the story was that his camp finally got a call (days after free agency started), saying that they might make an offer later if something else didn’t work out.

He then made a deal with Calgary.

Both Tanev and Benning gave pieces of that story publicly as I recall.

Edited by Provost

Here is the deal , I give you another scenario. Sign Tanev , Toffoli and Markstrom at their current contracts. No to Schmidt no to Virtanen and no to Holtby . difference in contracts would have been. about 2 million. to Make up that room send Ericksson and Roussel to Utica. 

Trade Demko ,  Bartschi and Rafferty to Detroit for Moritz Seider and Bernier (Detroit retains 2 mil.)

Sign Hamonic at 1.25 mil

Sign Tryamkin 1.5 x 2

Sign Rutta for 1.5 x 2

Miller    Pettersson   Boeser

Pearson  Horvat   Toffoli

Hoglander  Gaudette   Bailey / MacEwen

Motte   Beagle  Sutter

MacEwen 

Edler       Myers 

Hughes     Tanev

Tryamkin    Hamonic

Ben , Rutta

Markstrom 

Bernier

Up and comers Seider, Rathbone, Lind, Podkolzin, Juolevi , DiPietro

Cap freed up for next year. 17 million 

Exposé Myers  or Rutta in the expansion draft.

Next year same crew but upgrade the third line center and replace Bernier with DiPietro

There you have it a better team . Keeping them together, would build on a winning culture. 

1 hour ago, vannuck59 said:

Here is the deal , I give you another scenario. Sign Tanev , Toffoli and Markstrom at their current contracts. No to Schmidt no to Virtanen and no to Holtby .

Although I was absolutely gutted when we lost Markstrom in hindsight I think it was the right decision to keep Demko over him. Although Demmer was a little shaky to start the season he has since proven he is ready to be a number one and will be peaking around the same time in his career as our young core. I'd take Tanev over Schmidt and Holtby was an overpriced mistake but he's only on a 2 year deal so not the end of the world. I think what is severely lacking in this club is a competent coaching staff who can bring out the full potential of this line up by playing a system that complements their strengths. 

Edited by CptCanuck16
4 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I dont think Benning could have handled free agency more poorly if he tried.

Toffoli was a great fit and at the price Montreal got him it was a nobrainer to keep him. The chain reaction of him in the lineup instantly gives options that might have made for a better 3rd line too.

I was fine with letting Markstrom go but using Toffoli or Tanev money to sign Holtby was a bonehead move. Goaltending has not been a Canucks problem at all in what 20 years? That signing just showed no confidence in Demko imo. And its stunted Dipietro too as he could at least be getting some games as a backup if they dont want to send him down.

Tanev I think would have signed for cheaper and less term to stay. How Benning treated him was brutal if reports are true. 

Stecher at 1.75 mil? No brainer to keep imo.

A sign that Benning is kind of fading/losing it is that he appears not to have made any early efforts to do a couple of the low-hanging fruit contracts: Stecher and Toffoli in particular.  He says things like, "we're taking it day by day," and "we'll get into the contracts when the season is over, one thing at a time."  Delegate this work if you have to, but you have to get this done and the best way imo is to start early and stick with it.  It sometimes helps other players to see a guy they want to continue playing with get treated well, including signing him during the season and well before the contract he is on is going to run out.  (When Alphonso Davies started to show he was the real deal at Munich the management ripped up his old contract and offered him a new one at twice the money!  If Munich had been a Canadian hockey team they'd have never made a new deal, and would have found a way to try and low ball him when that initial contract was finally up.  Bayern has it right: this is how you keep players and attract new ones.)  Management doesn't have that much to do, really, early in the season, prior to TDL and the draft.  May as well use it for getting the team in place for the next year and maybe even the year after that.

The signing of Holtby is the kicker though: might really have been the worst since Eriksson: 2 years worth of mid-range money for a back up.  When you're already short cap space?  And Holtby was only available because of his age and generally poor recent play.  Ryan Miller he wasn't. (And Miller wasn't a back up, either.)  Demko on the other hand showed he could play in the last playoff run.  Holtby for one year would have been almost as bad.

The pattern continues: Canucks aren't managing the Boeser situation very well either: bridge deals and it would appear no effort to make it really clear to him that he is as important to the team as Hughes, Horvat and Pettersson.

It all comes down to earlier poor decisions: overpaying/overextending older players who are thought to have some magic ability to mentor. Or who just seem to have a magic tenure/nmc aura. (I'm thinking of Edler here.)  Beagle, Eriksson, Sutter, Roussel: all albatross contracts.  We keep Edler but find a way to lose Tanev, who actually was mentoring a budding star.  Find a way to avoid getting rid of Eriksson and thus end up losing a Toffoli (and Leivo) and soon enough Pearson. 

And I don't think it helps the surviving core of players to see this kind of incompetence: very bad for morale I'm guessing. Probably a factor in the atrocious start to this season.

The reason that Draisaitl and McDavid never asked to be traded is that I suspect they were promised better management in the future; hope in other words. If I were the owner of the Canucks I would consider talking to the key four players here about that kind of hope. (Well, five core players now, counting Demko.)  

• Hydration 2
  • -SN- changed the title to what did we gain by not re-signing any of Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli?