The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

what did we gain by not re-signing any of Markstrom/Tanev/Toffoli?

Rate this topic

7 hours ago, GarthButcher5 said:

Unfortunately it wasn't just last year. The defense has been terrible for several years and last year was an attempt to get better.

Hopefully this attempt continues.

No doubt that bad defence groups has been Benning's calling card.

If last year was an attempt to get better on D, they should probably stop attempting and see how that works out.

10 minutes ago, kanucks25 said:

If last year was an attempt to get better on D, they should probably stop attempting and see how that works out.

Do you think that's because he's honestly just dumber than everyone or does he feel his hands are tied?

On 7/14/2021 at 12:41 PM, sassbs said:

I was ok with Tanev and markstrom leaving. 

still not over tofu yet 

So sorry for your loss.   Been alive since 1973,  but don't remember any player on our team ever that received so much love and hurt so many folks feelings for not staying after a couple dozen games.

Like Vegas he disappeared during the final.   Sure he's a great opportunistic scorer but some of the levels this guys been put on (pedestals too) - just doesn't line up.   Had trouble with some fans belief the Sundin was a god for his half season (his very last, after a HHOF career, not a middle six one that finally put him in a permanent top six role in his peak prime) and is the main reason the Sedins broke out (simply ridiculous too, Sundin telling them to play like they do in the post season like it's a regular season game ... is all you can find about his influence on them - sure they idolized him and why wouldn't they?)   ... Might as well start whining about Geoff Sanderson's brief appearance, of Shawn Burkes or Beezer never playing one game etc.    TT was a rental - who didn't even wait for an offer.   Signed what was it?  Second day of free agency or was it the first day?    Like usual - players chase the money, otherwise Markstrom and Tanev and likely TT would all have stayed.    I'd rather have a GM that offers deals that work for the team.    Hasn't always done that of course.   That team was eaten alive by Vegas.    Rather have a shot at greatness and fail, then just a mediocre team.  

• Like 1
  • Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
3 hours ago, kanucks25 said:

I thought his calling card was a good drafter, and bad at timing his contracts?

What we gained?   We saved 80 million in cap over 4-6 years, minus Schmidt, minus JV minus Holtby.   Plus we kept Demko, Podz, Hogs, OJ, Rathbone, Lind, Gads, this years and maybe next years first plus plus.   At least 2/3 of that would be gone if we kept all three.   Plus we'd of had no Beagle, Sutter and maybe LE.   We'd be a worse team then we were in the bubble and stuck with it for 4-6 years lol.   JB gave the team a chance to be great - instead of mediocre.   Demko would have landed us very little, even with his 3 game bubble performance.   Look at the most a goalie has ever got in a trade - Schneider had a much bigger sample size and Horvat just might be the best any team has got for trading their star goalie - ever.    I expect the return at most would be a very late first, which over the last three decades has the same odds of success as any second rounder (a university study proved this).  

So sure we'd get a 50/50 chance of getting a guy who would play 100 games, a lottery ticket back whoopie.   But lose 7 years of drafting in one fell swoop what's left that is - after waiting 9 years to finally get someone who could draft a steady diet of NHLers.    Hogs far outperformed TT based on his cap hit, rarely see that mentioned.   It would have ruined the core in one off-season. 

Many said we'd need the cap for this off season - how the heck would we jam 80 million over 4-6 years into our cap and still pay QHs and EP?   Well back to the above - maybe the cost would be even higher.    JB would have been the worst GM since Milbury if he did that to us.    I'd be his biggest hater and i don't really go that far anyways.   Probably quit the CDC for five years anyways.   Wake up!  It's basic arithmetic.  

Edit:  We just need to be patient for one more year plus a few months  (on the JB front).   See what he does next.   This off season, TDL and the following one.   He set himself up for a chance at success by not signing all three.   And we can't really judge any of it for at least one or two more year can we?   Maybe Tanev or TT keep it up...odds are just as good they start to decline.   And with Tanev a full season has never ever happened.    Not much use if he's not there when it really matters (the post season) is it. 

Edited by IBatch
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 1
7 hours ago, Gawdzukes said:

Do you think that's because he's honestly just dumber than everyone or does he feel his hands are tied?

The assets and money that he gave up for Gudbranson, picking OJ, getting no assets for Hamhuis, letting Stecher walk and trading all those 2nd round picks for the age gap experiment instead of acquiring draft picks while "rebuilding" is why this D group is what it is.  I don't think his hands were tied for any of these moves so I'll go with the other option you posted. 

8 hours ago, IBatch said:

like Vegas he disappeared during the final.   Sure he's a great opportunistic scorer but some of the levels this guys been put on (pedestals too) - just doesn't line up.   

Sorry this argument doesn't hold. He still put up points in the playoffs just because he wasn't effective in one round doesn't mean the Canucks should have let him walk. Also Toffoli was playing hurt in the finals so there's that to consider.

Also no one is putting Toffoli in the pedastal but the Canucks need depth and good players with good contracts. 

I can not imagine anyone with a straight face saying they wouldn't want Toffoli in what he brings and the term and amount he sign for. We're not talking about a 7 year $6 million contract. It was team friendly and a great opportunity Vancouver squandered by "not having enough time" 

• Hydration 1
10 hours ago, IBatch said:

So sorry for your loss.   Been alive since 1973,  but don't remember any player on our team ever that received so much love and hurt so many folks feelings for not staying after a couple dozen games.

Like Vegas he disappeared during the final.   Sure he's a great opportunistic scorer but some of the levels this guys been put on (pedestals too) - just doesn't line up.   Had trouble with some fans belief the Sundin was a god for his half season (his very last, after a HHOF career, not a middle six one that finally put him in a permanent top six role in his peak prime) and is the main reason the Sedins broke out (simply ridiculous too, Sundin telling them to play like they do in the post season like it's a regular season game ... is all you can find about his influence on them - sure they idolized him and why wouldn't they?)   ... Might as well start whining about Geoff Sanderson's brief appearance, of Shawn Burkes or Beezer never playing one game etc.    TT was a rental - who didn't even wait for an offer.   Signed what was it?  Second day of free agency or was it the first day?    Like usual - players chase the money, otherwise Markstrom and Tanev and likely TT would all have stayed.    I'd rather have a GM that offers deals that work for the team.    Hasn't always done that of course.   That team was eaten alive by Vegas.    Rather have a shot at greatness and fail, then just a mediocre team.  

The only reason I’m not over it is because for the first time in a long time we had a proper RW on both 1st/2nd lines.    When was the last time that happened?   Last time I remember that happening was with bure and mogilny… correct me if I’m wrong but no one else stands out. 

• Hydration 1

I think overall let's look at the players Canucks lost in the last 2 years and the non-core players who are still in the team 

Out (or likely to be out this off-season)

Toffoli

Markstrom

Tanev

Schmidt

Edler

Hamonic

Sutter

Still in the team

Beagle

Roussel

Myers

Pearson

Eriksson

I understand Cancuks aren't probably going to keep all the players the lost but I would rather have the players the Canucks lost than the ones still in the team supporting the young core (well except Sutter) 

Looking at that this is bad roster management on Benning's part