The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] VAN - TBL

This is a proposed trade before the Seattle expansion draft. The idea for VAN would be to be competitive next season AND in the future. I am aware that the Canucks would not do this trade. I am just proposing this for general discussion.

To VAN: Cirelli, Sergachev, Colton (rights), Rutta

To TBL: Hughes, Podkolzin (rights)

Why for VAN?

It has often been said that Hughes is going to struggle to be a 1D for this organisation. He will continue to mature and get stronger, but he will always struggle with the physical side of the game. He is the most exciting Dman we have ever had, but he will not be a traditional "all situations 1D" perhaps ever. This is a trade idea to get a young player that has potential to be a more traditional 1D in Sergachev. He is not Hughes, but he is a 22 year old, 6'2", 217 lb offensive and defensive force. Could he form a big, fast, bruising Russian pairing with Tryamkin in the future...our future left side is still fantastic with Serg, Rathbone, Juolevi. In a couple of years I see our top 6 D as these really balanced and strong pairings:

Juolevi Schmidt

Sergachev Tryamkin

Rathbone Myers

Podkolzin projects to be a top 6 power forward, but how long will it take for him to become an impact player in the NHL? Whereas Cirelli is a 23 year old proven top 6 center that can come in to the VAN top 6 and make an immediate impact. He allows Pettersson to move to wing and provides more freedom to EP40 to focus on offence. In addition, Cirelli is an excellent PK'er and a playmaking center. He is in that Kesler/Bergeron mold where he can excel in all situations. He is young and is only going to get better and better.

Colton is a 24 year old 6'0" 202 lb RFA center coming off a $700k contract this season. In a small 8-game sample in the NHL so far he has 2g, 3a, +6, 62.5% f/o, 17 hits. He projects as a 4C (or even a potential 3C in VAN if playing around 10 mins). Straight shootout between him and Gaudette at training camp as to who takes the 3C spot next season while Beagle is still our 4C. Our bottom 6 center depth is not great, this guy has all the skills and great potential.

Rutta is an experienced veteran RHD, 30 years old, 6'2", 204 lb. Good puck mover, plays with an edge.

Holtby is bought out. Eriksson + Roussel are waived. Edler retires. Virtanen is traded. Wedgewood signed as UFA 1.25m.

Resign Pettersson 8.5, Demko 5.0, Hamonic 2.5m, Tryamkin 2.0, Juolevi, 1.25, Lind 1.25, Vesey 1.0, Colton 1.0, Gaudette 1.0.

VAN lineup for 2021-22, total cap hit less than $81m per capfriendly:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Miller Cirelli Hoglander

Vesey Gaudette/Colton Lind

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Gaudette/Colton)

Schmidt Hamonic

Sergachev Myers

Juolevi Rutta

(Rathbone Tryamkin)

Demko (Wedgewood)

With Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel coming off the books in 2022, we would have $23m in cap space with 16 men signed. Just Boeser, Motte and Rathbone to resign. Tons of space for another top UFA signing if we wish. Guys like Gadjovich, Jasek, Woo pushing for spots too.

Why for TBL?

They are in cap hell. This is a great way for them to address their cap space problems AND get an offensive Dman like Hughes who can be deployed in protected situations with Hedman taking the toughest match ups. Kucherov will be a great mentor to Podz and help unlock his potential. If TBL use a 1st pick+ to encourage Seattle to choose e.g. Palat, and sign some league minimum guys such as Goodrow, E Staal, Jordie Benn, L Schenn, McElhinney. Their 2021 lineup could be this and be under $81.5m:

Gourde Point Kucherov

Killorn Stamkos Johnson

Goodrow Staal Podkolzin

Joseph Stephens Maroon

(Raddysh)

Hedman Foote

Hughes Cernak

McDonagh Schenn

(Benn)

Vasilevskiy (McElhinney)

• RoughGame 5

6 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

This is a proposed trade before the Seattle expansion draft. The idea for VAN would be to be competitive next season AND in the future. I am aware that the Canucks would not do this trade. I am just proposing this for general discussion.

Why for VAN?

It has often been said that Hughes is going to struggle to be a 1D for this organisation. He will continue to mature and get stronger, but he will always struggle with the physical side of the game. He is the most exciting Dman we have ever had, but he will not be a traditional "all situations 1D" perhaps ever. This is a trade idea to get a young player that has potential to be a more traditional 1D in Sergachev. He is not Hughes, but he is a 22 year old, 6'2", 217 lb offensive and defensive force. Could he form a big, fast, bruising Russian pairing with Tryamkin in the future...our future left side is still fantastic with Serg, Rathbone, Juolevi. In a couple of years I see our top 6 D as these really balanced and strong pairings:

Juolevi Schmidt

Sergachev Tryamkin

Rathbone Myers

Podkolzin projects to be a top 6 power forward, but how long will it take for him to become an impact player in the NHL? Whereas Cirelli is a 23 year old proven top 6 center that can come in to the VAN top 6 and make an immediate impact. He allows Pettersson to move to wing and provides more freedom to EP40 to focus on offence. In addition, Cirelli is an excellent PK'er and a playmaking center. He is in that Kesler/Bergeron mold where he can excel in all situations. He is young and is only going to get better and better.

Colton is a 24 year old 6'0" 202 lb RFA center coming off a $700k contract this season. In a small 8-game sample in the NHL so far he has 2g, 3a, +6, 62.5% f/o, 17 hits. He projects as a 4C (or even a potential 3C in VAN if playing around 10 mins). Straight shootout between him and Gaudette at training camp as to who takes the 3C spot next season while Beagle is still our 4C. Our bottom 6 center depth is not great, this guy has all the skills and great potential.

Rutta is an experienced veteran RHD, 30 years old, 6'2", 204 lb. Good puck mover, plays with an edge.

Holtby is bought out. Eriksson + Roussel are waived. Edler retires. Virtanen is traded. Wedgewood signed as UFA 1.25m.

Resign Pettersson 8.5, Demko 5.0, Hamonic 2.5m, Tryamkin 2.0, Juolevi, 1.25, Lind 1.25, Vesey 1.0, Colton 1.0, Gaudette 1.0.

VAN lineup for 2021-22, total cap hit less than $81m per capfriendly:

Pettersson Horvat Boeser

Miller Cirelli Hoglander

Vesey Gaudette/Colton Lind

Motte Beagle MacEwen

(Gaudette/Colton)

Schmidt Hamonic

Sergachev Myers

Juolevi Rutta

(Rathbone Tryamkin)

Demko (Wedgewood)

With Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel coming off the books in 2022, we would have $23m in cap space with 16 men signed. Just Boeser, Motte and Rathbone to resign. Tons of space for another top UFA signing if we wish. Guys like Gadjovich, Jasek, Woo pushing for spots too.

Why for TBL?

They are in cap hell. This is a great way for them to address their cap space problems AND get an offensive Dman like Hughes who can be deployed in protected situations with Hedman taking the toughest match ups. Kucherov will be a great mentor to Podz and help unlock his potential. If TBL use a 1st pick+ to encourage Seattle to choose e.g. Palat, and sign some league minimum guys such as Goodrow, E Staal, Jordie Benn, L Schenn, McElhinney. Their 2021 lineup could be this and be under $81.5m:

Gourde Point Kucherov

Killorn Stamkos Johnson

Goodrow Staal Podkolzin

Joseph Stephens Maroon

(Raddysh)

Hedman Foote

Hughes Cernak

McDonagh Schenn

(Benn)

Vasilevskiy (McElhinney)

This doesn't solve any of TB's cap issues as they would need to resign Hughes. He will command anywhere between 7 and 10 million as speculated in the media. They remove 10 million just to replace with 10 million. TB would probably rather keep the players they have and offer incentive to Seattle to take Johnson off their hands

12 hours ago, CR7 said:

This doesn't solve any of TB's cap issues as they would need to resign Hughes. He will command anywhere between 7 and 10 million as speculated in the media. They remove 10 million just to replace with 10 million. TB would probably rather keep the players they have and offer incentive to Seattle to take Johnson off their hands

I have assumed they would sign Hughes to a bridge deal around $5-6m. I'm not sure which media you are reading.

You obviously missed the part where I already assumed TBL used a first to incentivize Seattle to choose one of their big contracts (I assumed Palat above, because he has less years remaining on his contract, but TBL would prefer it to be Johnson). However, the effect is the same - clearing about $5m in cap. But just getting rid of Johnson's $5m isn't enough. TBL will also have to lose another big contract player through trade (unlikely) or buy out (more likely) unless they do a deal like I have proposed to shed cap.

Realistically I think TBL will go with the "incentivize Seattle" option to get rid of Palat or Johnson. Then they will likely buy out Killorn and Rutta. This should clear enough space for next season, but they will be in trouble again the following season and the one after too...

Anyway, thanks to you all for the feedback. Four unhappy pieces of toast was CDC's response. Sorry to make you all feel so sad!

Edited by BigTramFan
  • Haha 1

On 3/29/2021 at 3:33 AM, BigTramFan said:

VAN lineup for 2021-22

Pettersson Horvat Boeser (19)

Miller   Cirelli    Hoglander (11)

Vesey   XXXXXX    Lind (4)

Motte   Beagle   MacEwen (6)

Juolevi Schmidt (7)

Sergachev Tryamkin (7)

Rathbone  Myers (7)

Hamonic (2)

Demko (Wedgewood) (7)......................................70 Million ish

Hi Big Tram......just answering your question from my thread.............Generally, I like it...........but!

Need to build a 3rd line............

Edited by janisahockeynut

2 hours ago, janisahockeynut said:

Hi Big Tram......just answering your question from my thread.............Generally, I like it...........but!

Need to build a 3rd line............

My maths came to close to $80m for that lineup (all buy out costs etc included). Hence going for Ross Colton as an up and coming 3rd line centre, with some potential for Gaudette and Lind to take on that role.

If we could afford him I would be aiming for Adam Lowry, but don't think we can afford him with that lineup.

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

My maths came to close to $80m for that lineup (all buy out costs etc included). Hence going for Ross Colton as an up and coming 3rd line centre, with some potential for Gaudette and Lind to take on that role.

If we could afford him I would be aiming for Adam Lowry, but don't think we can afford him with that lineup.

But why would we do this?  Podz could end up like Rantanen 2.0 on our first line, that's a lot to give up for what we are getting back.   Don't mind any trade threads, they are fun to read and the what if part is fun to consider.  At this point any team would take QHs over Serg... so we are losing the better player.   What did Serg do better then QHs his first three years after getting drafted other then getting traded for Drouin?  Cirreli is a good player.   So that is a nice add.   But Podz had >>>> potential.   Anyone who plays in TB, has padded stats compared to playing in any team, but especially Vancouver or other rebuilding teams.    

How about this instead.   Demko and QHs and Podz , for Vasilevsky and Point.     We have Rathbone in the system who is also a small LD PMD,  Demko would give TB cost certainty on potentially elite goaltending, and we'd have probably the best C depth in the league.    That's a blockbuster that won't ever happen.   But if your going to trade a guys like QHs, we need a big name back. 

Edited by IBatch

5 hours ago, IBatch said:

But why would we do this?  Podz could end up like Rantanen 2.0 on our first line, that's a lot to give up for what we are getting back.   Don't mind any trade threads, they are fun to read and the what if part is fun to consider.  At this point any team would take QHs over Serg... so we are losing the better player.   What did Serg do better then QHs his first three years after getting drafted other then getting traded for Drouin?  Cirreli is a good player.   So that is a nice add.   But Podz had >>>> potential.   Anyone who plays in TB, has padded stats compared to playing in any team, but especially Vancouver or other rebuilding teams.    

How about this instead.   Demko and QHs and Podz , for Vasilevsky and Point.     We have Rathbone in the system who is also a small LD PMD,  Demko would give TB cost certainty on potentially elite goaltending, and we'd have probably the best C depth in the league.    That's a blockbuster that won't ever happen.   But if your going to trade a guys like QHs, we need a big name back. 

I don't disagree with you about the value of QH an the potential of Podz. So why would we do this trade? The idea was to make our team competitive now and bring in a potential "all situations" 1D in Serg, whereas Hughes is likely never going to be that guy. Serg is a perennial 40 point Dman that can play in all situations. There is also a real risk that Podz doesn't reach his ceiling...remember Cirelli has already proven himself and he is only 23, he is going to be a star in this league.

Those are the reasons behind proposing the trade. I am well aware the trade won't happen in the real world, just looking for discussion.

I like your counter proposal and I get what you're saying, but not sure that Vas & Point are affordable with the rest of our roster. With no Dman coming back from TBL you are also banking on Rathbone coming in and killing it. And you are still missing that all situations 1D...

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, BigTramFan said:

I don't disagree with you about the value of QH an the potential of Podz. So why would we do this trade? The idea was to make our team competitive now and bring in a potential "all situations" 1D in Serg, whereas Hughes is likely never going to be that guy. Serg is a perennial 40 point Dman that can play in all situations. There is also a real risk that Podz doesn't reach his ceiling...remember Cirelli has already proven himself and he is only 23, he is going to be a star in this league.

Those are the reasons behind proposing the trade. I am well aware the trade won't happen in the real world, just looking for discussion.

I like your counter proposal and I get what you're saying, but not sure that Vas & Point are affordable with the rest of our roster. With no Dman coming back from TBL you are also banking on Rathbone coming in and killing it. And you are still missing that all situations 1D...

Yes i didn't like my trade either.   We do need a D back.   Serg could be under utilized behind Hedman.   Not the worst trade in the world,  I'm not sure about Cerilli, could be hit or miss, for sure not a gauranteed star in this league, but he has some potential.   Vas - Demko, Point - minus QHs,  not sure either.    

Trade proposals are tough, if they don't hurt they aren't realistic that's for sure when it comes to blue chip players for the most part.   Miller and Schmidt aren't the norm.