The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I guess you were happy the Flames lost because you hate them then, that’s cool, I thought you thought we still have a chance.

Yup....dislike those Lamers....and nope sorry....after their massive losing streak....I knew their chances were slim to none...even after their little run......resigned to the fact that this was not their season....onwards to next year....

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

The Canucks are far from statistically eliminated. They're "only" several points away from Montreal. Anyone who says the Canucks have no chance is simply out to lunch.

Mate are you for real? Sigh...you believe what you want to believe....currently the Nucks are 8 points back not "several" ...of the Habs with the Habs still holding a 2 games in hand. I believe they are saying 63 points to get in...so that means the Habs need to only win 10 of their remaining 21 games to get in...while the Nucks will need to win 14 of their remaining 19 games.......sure they have a chance....just as much chance you and I winning the lottery...

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Even the 17th is sooner than I hoped but I’m sure the NHL has a lot more info than we do and is basing their decisions on that info, we’ll see but being the optimist I’m heading to the beer store to stock up for next week.

have a feeling your gunna need to restock again lol

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, philtbc829 said:

Mate are you for real? Sigh...you believe what you want to believe....currently the Nucks are 8 points back not "several" ...of the Habs with the Habs still holding a 2 games in hand. I believe they are saying 63 points to get in...so that means the Habs need to only win 10 of their remaining 21 games to get in...while the Nucks will need to win 14 of their remaining 19 games.......sure they have a chance....just as much chance you and I winning the lottery...

Best chance they have is actually the 5 games they had left against the Oilers. That’s 10 points they could gain on them. Like I said I’m keeping covid out of it. Just talking numbers and it’s fun to cheer when they are playing until they say we are out of it anyway 

• Cheers 2

24 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I can’t tell your serious or not. It’s a very very slim chance but I see nothing wrong with cheering for your team to the bitter end. I don’t think anyone should be scrutinized for that. Keeping the covid stuff out of it cause no one knows for sure how the coming week or 2 is going to play out 

ya i dont see canucks making playoffs to far back. habs 2 games in hand if they win thoughts they 12 points up on us with 19 games left  theyd need 6 less wins in 19 games  dont see them falling off in play that bad   even if they 500  8-8-1  59 pts  we need to go 13-6 just to squeak in 

• Cheers 1

32 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

I can’t tell your serious or not. It’s a very very slim chance but I see nothing wrong with cheering for your team to the bitter end. I don’t think anyone should be scrutinized for that. Keeping the covid stuff out of it cause no one knows for sure how the coming week or 2 is going to play out 

It's not that slim of a chance - not something that you can say "yeah the Canucks aren't gonna make the playoffs". Had we not had COVID, our games against CAL/EDM could have been monumental - not to mention the games against OTT. Calgary has been sliding recently, which has benefited us somewhat.

• Cheers 1

On 3/29/2021 at 9:52 PM, AlwaysACanuckFan said:

Apparently got ran into the boards by Dubois according to the Score game feed. 

Nevertheless nice seeing the Jets extinguish the Flames

18-small.gif

someone please photoshop an orca in place of the plane.  lol

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Devron44 said:

They just are not a great team. They are about the same as the Canucks. The difference is the Canucks have a brighter future. If the Flames can’t put it together they’ll be looking at a rebuild imo .

And the coach does not fit the players. I don’t think guys like Johnny cry baby and Lindholm are Sutter type players. They either need to move some guys or find another coach. 

It was a knee jerk reaction doing a coaching change during this type of season especially when options are very limited 

Agree with you 100%.  They've been over rated since they beat us in the playoffs a few years ago and Sam Bennett was still 18. They have no idea what identity they are and its obvious their current make up doesn't fit Sutter type players and his style. At least we have much higher end talent and the potential for a more successful future.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

18 minutes ago, the_impersonator13 said:

Agree with you 100%.  They've been over rated since they beat us in the playoffs a few years ago and Sam Bennett was still 18. They have no idea what identity they are and its obvious their current make up doesn't fit Sutter type players and his style. At least we have much higher end talent and the potential for a more successful future.

You mean sam bennet isnt still 18? Im shocked

On 3/29/2021 at 7:35 PM, Canuckster86 said:

The GM said we were 2 years away recently, so last year must have been a 1 off fluke in his mind considering we weren't in a playoff spot last year before the league got shutdown and then we lucked out playing a weak Minnesota team to get in. Then, the Blues showed their true colours and we defeated them in round 1, Demko took us to game 7 in round 2.

Hope we just stand pat, move as many players out as we can which will likely be not many and give some kids a chance at ice time from Utica. Curious to see if we hand out just short term deals to all our key RFA's with the flat cap in hopes for them that the cap goes up and then they cash in big

I'm hoping JB can juggle things enough to sign both EP and QHs long term.   Something like they did with Horvat.   Bridging them both could backfire.   Flat cap for as long as 5-6 years depending on how the fans react next season possibly longer, makes some sense for both sides.   6.5-7.5 seems fair.    A lot of media pundits say JB should do them as a pair with identical deals .... feel that EP has a bit better of a sample size, but QHs is definitely just as unique and special so it also makes some sense.   Cap restrictions might mean they both get bridged or one does it's very difficult to determine.   AHO seems like the max, not sure if he was up right now too he'd get the same deal knowing the cap isn't going up....if that's the case wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but feel 7 x 6 is a fair deal for both these guys and the team ... And so far JB has done a very good job of signing his RFAs to fair deals, including even JV, who knew he'd pick this year for not contributing in the bottom six, each year in the league he's had slow but steady progression.   We need the tweeners (AG too) to push the guys coming up.   JB thinks 6-8 of our current pool will make the show and become roster players, if that's the case in two years for sure we will be ready to start a push to get back to the best team in our division.   Vegas has a stranglehold for now, but won't have more then a four-five year window.

ANA without Gibson would be by far the worst team in the league, he's doing his best Florida Luongo impression right now.   SJ has to rebuild, their last re-tool made sense given they were contending then, like we were in 2014...LA like we were in 2016 same deal.   With all the Cali teams mostly out of the picture and CAL looking like they aren't what they thought they'd be (wouldn't count them out yet though), that leaves Seattle and EDM.   EDM has a window right now, McDavid and Draisatl have the same bones that PIT did.   Need only two pieces to put them over the top, Bouchard might be one of them.   For sure going to be the team we have to overcome to get to second best in our division over the next two years..after that it really should be EDM and VAN battling it out for supremacy, like the WCE days between us and COL once Vegas fades.    

JB  (and others) talks about 26-32 as the peak years cores have and id have to agree.   There are not many examples of teams that win outside of that with the exception of teams with budding super-stars like CHI, the only thing that can throw a wrench in that is bad contracts.   Like Dubas gave his fab three.    The cap isn't going up, and I for one feel we dodged a bullet in a way.   A lot of teams who structured their young core around this in the last three years won't be too happy about it.     Covid sucks, but it might of just given us a bit of a leg up on some of the competition, we are lucky EP and QHs didn't sign a year and a half ago like Keller did in ARI, back then 8-9 seemed reasonable to some.  

Edit:  On SJ and CAL.   This is hockey and you just never do know.   Both vet teams.   Both re-tooled in different ways (SJ signed EK, know he's not OTT EK, but wouldn't bet against him either even now...they could surprise next season or the following one, kind of like St. Louis did..).   CAL every single "expert" had either first or second in our division this year.    They also can't be counted out based on his things went this year.     Feel we have 70/30 chances next season of making the show, much better odds then this year.   

Edited by IBatch

10 hours ago, philtbc829 said:

We must always wish for Calgary to lose, no matter what. 

• Cheers 3