The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

hopefully the #fire green thing can calm down, and we can just enjoy watching some of the younger guys play. 

best thing that could happen is for Holtby to stand on his head and get Seattle interested.

Yeah there’s lots of stuff like that to look forward to. I’ll probably cheer for a playoff spot for awhile too. Only thing coach Green has to do is manage his players playing time. We’ll see there. But nobody should be whining  at this point. Tough season in so many ways. 

• Cheers 1

5 hours ago, xereau said:

Every team has a Pearson or multiple Pearsons. The cap hit and length was pretty good for what he brings (top tier PK, top tier shutdown minutes). It'd cost more than 2x as much to get a younger guy who scores 5-10 more goals a season, and probably at least for 6 years (likely 8) too. Horvat's been an enigma over the years in regards to compatible wingers, and Pearson's proven the best fit in over 6 seasons for our Captain. Now, these 2 need a 3rd steady line mate who can dig with speed, and outstanding vision: Hogz.

Three biggest pieces needed moving forward, with the existing signed assets are:

1. A true #2 for Quinn. Someone like Tanev, but younger. Someone who is invariably always back.

2. 3C with speed and a great passer for Motte/MacEwen/Gaudette.. all potential 3W, and all are bang bang type guys.

3. Coaching staff with the ability to adapt to what we have, rather than forcing players into a boring low brow blue collar display of statistics on ice.

We've the depth from within to ice a very good team, with a good uptempo puck pressure system (not the passive star).

Sorry no way he is worth over 10 million bucks on a contract. Benning lost that negotiation plain and simple Tanner Pearson would never of gotten $3.2 million on the open market. He was on his last legs literally when we picked him up and saved his ass from the Penguins. He’s a good player and I like on my team but we should’ve drawn the line of two years maybe at 2.5 per. I think he’s 4 million against a cop in your three. Imagine knowing that you have that type of security in the last year of your three-year contract. Benning got fleeced again. 

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Devron44 said:

Yeah there’s lots of stuff like that to look forward to. I’ll probably cheer for a playoff spot for awhile too. Only thing coach Green has to do is manage his players playing time. We’ll see there. But nobody should be whining  at this point. Tough season in so many ways. 

I'm looking at it like an 80's sitcom where they go in a weird direction, then pass the whole thing off as a bad dream at the start of the next season.......like it never happened.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 3

Just now, bad alice french said:

Sorry no way he is worth over 10 million bucks on a contract. Benning lost that negotiation plain and simple Tanner Pearson would never of gotten $3.2 million on the open market. He was on his last legs literally when we picked him up and saved his ass from the Penguins. He’s a good player and I like on my team but we should’ve drawn the line of two years maybe at 2.5 per. I think he’s 4 million against a cop in your three. Imagine knowing that you have that type of security in the last year of your three-year contract. Benning got fleeced again. 

It's been well established here that Pearson just got market value, more or less.  Just because you don't think so doesn't mean it's not true.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 3

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

It's been well established here that Pearson just got market value, more or less.  Just because you don't think so doesn't mean it's not true.

Nice that you feel that way. You must’ve put a lot of time into rounding up all the data to come up with a statistic. To suggest that everybody “around here “feels that he has market value is a stretch. With a flat cap he nay have had a hard tube signing at all. 

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, stawns said:

I'm looking at it like an 80's sitcom where they go in a weird direction, then pass the whole thing off as a bad dream at the start of the next season.......like it never happened.

That’s fair. I’m excited for some hockey and next season too. I think our young guys will be improved enough to get us over the hump next year 

I just saw the schedule for make-up games, they will not be able to rest well during this stretch.  Is this schedule really necessary to complete?  I just simply don't see them doing well with this extreme schedule with 4 games weekly for next 4 weeks.   Also, it will be 4 weeks of between games, 1 week off from regular schedule plus 3 weeks of postponement..   Also a  bad schedule maker for example, 3 set of games against Edmonton, with travel involved.  away, home, away.   What's more, the North Division will not stand a chance in the semi-finals with compressed schedule as it will be for first two rounds. Outside of a sweep, they don't stand a chance.

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, bad alice french said:

Nice that you feel that way. You must’ve put a lot of time into rounding up all the data to come up with a statistic. To suggest that everybody “around here “feels that he has market value is a stretch. With a flat cap he nay have had a hard tube signing at all. 

Where did I say that?  I don't think that at all........the usual suspects are out in full force over this contract.  In no way do I think everyone likes it.

I think the posters I know and trust feel like do.......that it might be a year longer and a couple hundred $k more than hoped for, but that it's a pretty fair price for what he brings 

He might not be my favourite player, but he's consistent, he plays hard, he is a avg second line scorer, can move all over the lineup and play in all situations.  You were never going to get a player still in his prime for $1.5m, or even $2m

• Cheers 3

11 minutes ago, stawns said:

Dallas wasn't a sitcom then though the Jerry Jones controlled Cowboys might as well be.:P

• Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, stawns said:

Where did I say that?  I don't think that at all........the usual suspects are out in full force over this contract.  In no way do I think everyone likes it.

I think the posters I know and trust feel like do.......that it might be a year longer and a couple hundred $k more than hoped for, but that it's a pretty fair price for what he brings 

He might not be my favourite player, but he's consistent, he plays hard, he is a avg second line scorer, can move all over the lineup and play in all situations.  You were never going to get a player still in his prime for $1.5m, or even $2m

OK I might’ve misread that. Sounds like we  agree but I still don’t think he is in his prime. He’s pushing 30 and again he’s going to be one of these guys at 31/32 years of age that’s going to hurt us moneywise. I like him as a player a lot. I just feel that Benning once again gave a year too much and too much money. By the way I still haven’t found any clarity on his expansion protection. Can you clarify?

7 minutes ago, stawns said:

I thought 2.5 on the high side but 2 years max. 

4 minutes ago, Jaimito said:

Still quite a daunting schedule 

The Habs play 19 in 32 days for anyone thinking we somehow got shafted.

With such little time left in the season no one should be surprised.

I’ll just be happy to have Canucks hockey back regardless of results (although wins would be a lot nicer!)

• Cheers 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

18 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

Dallas wasn't a sitcom then though the Jerry Jones controlled Cowboys might as well be.:P

I just didn't want to outright cop to being a Dallas fan!

Roseanne did it too and The Bob Newhart show ended the series that way.

• Cheers 1

• -SN- changed the title to [GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP
10 minutes ago, stawns said:

I just didn't want to outright cop to being a Dallas fan!

Roseanne did it too and The Bob Newhart show ended the series that way.

You’re right!  I completely forgot about Roseanne!  Didn’t watch the Bob Newhart show (can we still be friends? :P)

14 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Habs play 19 in 32 days for anyone thinking we somehow got shafted.

With such little time left in the season no one should be surprised.

I’ll just be happy to have Canucks hockey back regardless of results (although wins would be a lot nicer!)

Then there is still hope. Habs are banged up too. 

Edited by Jaimito
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The schedule is certainly tight and that was to be expected but how the hell does the league make the Canucks start two games in under 24 hours just to let the Leafs start on their own time in our building again? :picard:

• Vintage 2