The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

3 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

From Todd Cordell, Calgary blogger on HockeyBuzz. Seems he isn't a Markstrom fan:

"Things aren’t much better at the other end of the ice. The Flames make too many head scratching mistakes defensively and, despite pouring a ton of resources into the position, they can’t get any goaltending. Jacob Markstrom, the marquee free agent netminder coming off consecutive (team) MVP seasons in Vancouver, has looked like a shell of himself. He owns a very disappointing .902 save percentage and ranks 68/77 with a Goals Saved Above Expected number of *checks notes* MINUS 8.99. That sandwiches him between 40-year-old Ryan Miller and fringe NHLer Marcus Hogberg, who plays for the lowly Ottawa Senators. I’m sure that’s what the Flames had in mind when getting into a bidding war for Markstrom's services. In short, the Flames are lifeless offensively, too mistake prone defensively, and they can’t get a save from their expensive goaltender in Year 1 of 6. Good stuff, good stuff."

And there are those who still dump on Benning for letting Markstrom walk.

My word how blessed we are! IF we never got to gm5 vs Vegans(with Marky banged up), we never would've attached our wagon to Thatcher, after the season ended.

We came very close to a disastrous outcome. The injury to JM(& TD playing ludicrous! for 3 games) absolutely saved our bacon.

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1
7 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

My word how blessed we are! IF we never got to gm5 vs Vegans(with Marky banged up), we never would've attached our wagon to Thatcher, after the season ended.

We came very close to a disastrous outcome. The injury to JM(& TD playing ludicrous! for 3 games) absolutely saved our bacon.

At 6 years yeah. He'd be backing up demko at this point and everyone would be up in arms. Prob woulda meant no Hamonic too, and an expansion save used on OJ.

Loui Eriksson 2.0. Thanks Cowtown!

• Hydration 2
  • Vintage 2
3 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Apparently Curtis Sanford works very very closely with Clark, and being in Utica they both have complete continuity in their coaching philosophies.  I imagine it will get worked out in the off season but if not, perhaps Sanford will elevate

I hope not

Clark is one if the best in the business. Don't need to go from best to a rookie NHL coach who is currently working in the minors. 

If Clark does leave he's hopefully replaced by a veteran coach with lots of experience and a proven record of coaching a NHL goalie to a Vezina. 

12 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I hope not

Clark is one if the best in the business. Don't need to go from best to a rookie NHL coach who is currently working in the minors. 

If Clark does leave he's hopefully replaced by a veteran coach with lots of experience and a proven record of coaching a NHL goalie to a Vezina. 

Like I said, Clark/Sanford work very closely together and share the se coaching philosophies.  DiPietro has said Sanford was a major help.  If Clark does leave, I'd go with continuity.  And Sanford is a former professional goalie....

• Hydration 2
5 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

From Todd Cordell, Calgary blogger on HockeyBuzz. Seems he isn't a Markstrom fan:

"Things aren’t much better at the other end of the ice. The Flames make too many head scratching mistakes defensively and, despite pouring a ton of resources into the position, they can’t get any goaltending. Jacob Markstrom, the marquee free agent netminder coming off consecutive (team) MVP seasons in Vancouver, has looked like a shell of himself. He owns a very disappointing .902 save percentage and ranks 68/77 with a Goals Saved Above Expected number of *checks notes* MINUS 8.99. That sandwiches him between 40-year-old Ryan Miller and fringe NHLer Marcus Hogberg, who plays for the lowly Ottawa Senators. I’m sure that’s what the Flames had in mind when getting into a bidding war for Markstrom's services. In short, the Flames are lifeless offensively, too mistake prone defensively, and they can’t get a save from their expensive goaltender in Year 1 of 6. Good stuff, good stuff."

Ian Clark's return made him the MVP. Without Ian Clark... 

• Vintage 1

I hope the break was well worth it, Crunch time boys!

...And hockey Gods, I don't ask for much but pleeeeassseeeeee.

• Hydration 1
  • Vintage 1
56 minutes ago, Angry Goose said:

Like I said, Clark/Sanford work very closely together and share the se coaching philosophies.  DiPietro has said Sanford was a major help.  If Clark does leave, I'd go with continuity.  And Sanford is a former professional goalie....

Allmost all coaches work together with their minor league coaches.. Utica coaches follow the same system as Canucks. There is regular contact with Green and his staff. That's how all teams operate..

Torts was famous for not keeping in regular contact with Utica but he just wanted to get fired and collect his check sitting at home. 

You don't go from elite coach to a rookie from the minors.... That would be a huge mistake. You hire another elite coach if Clark leaves. 

Scotty Bowman probably went thru 100 coaches in minors and NHL assistants. None of them turned in to Bowman. 

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Angry Goose said:

Apparently Curtis Sanford works very very closely with Clark, and being in Utica they both have complete continuity in their coaching philosophies.  I imagine it will get worked out in the off season but if not, perhaps Sanford will elevate

Yeah just like Cloutier and Baumgartner who elevated. Ian Clark better be signed, the only coach that actually is worth keeping over others. It will be so typical of Canucks management to let him go just like how they let Malhotra, Linden and Brackett go. Yet the mediocre ones get extended.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I hope not

We need clark to be signed. I really dont get the management of this team if they dont sign him.

• Vintage 1
39 minutes ago, DefCon1 said:

Yeah just like Cloutier and Baumgartner who elevated. Ian Clark better be signed, the only coach that actually is worth keeping over others. It will be so typical of Canucks management to let him go just like how they let Malhotra, Linden and Brackett go. Yet the mediocre ones get extended.

I see it differently

• Vintage 1
13 hours ago, SNuck said:

Depends on subsequent test results. Also:

Oh Man, That's the s__ts.  I was hoping for a bit of luck and a good night of hockey (Double header of our teams). B)

• Hydration 1
11 hours ago, Curmudgeon said:

What a lot of people missed here at CDC is the top notch coaching of Green, and assistants is obviously what let Markstrom excel last year. If it wasn't for the superb coaching strategies of keeping all shooters on the perimeter while getting the other team tired Markstrom may have been even worse last year.

All hail Coach Green! Coach Baumer! Coach Brown!

Fantastic !!!!!

:ph34r::lol::canucks:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Haha 4
On 3/29/2021 at 4:35 PM, Canuckster86 said:

The GM said we were 2 years away recently, so last year must have been a 1 off fluke in his mind considering we weren't in a playoff spot last year before the league got shutdown and then we lucked out playing a weak Minnesota team to get in. Then, the Blues showed their true colours and we defeated them in round 1, Demko took us to game 7 in round 2.

Hope we just stand pat, move as many players out as we can which will likely be not many and give some kids a chance at ice time from Utica. Curious to see if we hand out just short term deals to all our key RFA's with the flat cap in hopes for them that the cap goes up and then they cash in big

2 years away from being a Stanley Cup contender! 

important distinction 

Markstrom's struggles may be related to a hit by Pearson.

https://www.calgarysun.com/sports/hockey/nhl/calgary-flames/gilbertson-flames-netminder-markstrom-hasnt-been-the-same-since-collision-with-former-teammate

I hate the Flames, but I like Marks.  Still, I am glad the team went with Demko.  He is part of the team core now.

• Hydration 2
7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Allmost all coaches work together with their minor league coaches.. Utica coaches follow the same system as Canucks. There is regular contact with Green and his staff. That's how all teams operate..

Torts was famous for not keeping in regular contact with Utica but he just wanted to get fired and collect his check sitting at home. 

You don't go from elite coach to a rookie from the minors.... That would be a huge mistake. You hire another elite coach if Clark leaves. 

Scotty Bowman probably went thru 100 coaches in minors and NHL assistants. None of them turned in to Bowman. 

Hard to beat the teams Bowman coached either is it? 

• Hydration 1
On 3/29/2021 at 1:50 PM, Slegr said:

What if...

We just kept on winning. Somehow, win after win until game 54. There are still 34 points up for grabs.
It all starts Wednesday.

Plan B part Ab

9 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

This... 

For all the hate given to JB, for giving the players the experience of play offs hockey at the expense of Madden and a 2nd, I gave us a view of the future... Without that, we may have gone with Marky and tried to trade Demko... Just imagine the screams had we had that scenario...

• Like 1
  • Hydration 2
  • Burr 1
  • SNuck changed the title to [GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP
  • SNuck unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic