The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

34 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Yeesh, not sure if I want the short term savings for a $1.9m penalty in '22-'23.

I don't think we're contenders next season. Let's ride out Holtby's last year next year and go all-in for the '22-'23 season without Holtby or a buyout penalty.

I’d like to see no buyouts as well. Clean it right up for 22-23

• Cheers 2

41 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

Yeesh, not sure if I want the short term savings for a $1.9m penalty in '22-'23.

I don't think we're contenders next season. Let's ride out Holtby's last year next year and go all-in for the '22-'23 season without Holtby or a buyout penalty.

The only thing I am thinking is that next year we have a real lack of cap space. This would clear 4 mil and they could sign a cheap goal tender. 22/23 they have 6 mil from LE and Longo recapture of 3 mil coming off books.   We gain 9 mil less the 1.9 mil.

1 hour ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Both. The players for not coming out with any urgency and the coaches for not instilling in them that urgency.

i would blame the time off and the players that are out, but lets look on the bright side, we have a chance to win also!

• Vintage 1

7 minutes ago, appleboy said:

The only thing I am thinking is that next year we have a real lack of cap space. This would clear 4 mil and they could sign a cheap goal tender. 22/23 they have 6 mil from LE and Longo recapture of 3 mil coming off books.   We gain 9 mil less the 1.9 mil.

It's not 4 mill off books, its 2.1... and what quality of backup are you going to find for that?

We have enough dead cap, time to stop paying for nothing. Ride it out, and weaponize our cap to its fullest when the real window opens with loui, holtby, loungo, Sutter, Beagle, baertchi, and roussel gone. Even with the big raises coming up we will have a ton of cap to more than fill holes. We could add another Miller instead

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Davathor said:

It's not 4 mill off books, its 2.1... and what quality of backup are you going to find for that?

We have enough dead cap, time to stop paying for nothing. Ride it out, and weaponize our cap to its fullest when the real window opens with loui, holtby, loungo, Sutter, Beagle, baertchi, and roussel gone. Even with the big raises coming up we will have a ton of cap to more than fill holes. We could add another Miller instead

The cap hit for next year would be $500,000.        22/23  1.9 mil. 

Am I seeing that right?  Next year is the one we will be tight.

Holtby buyout calculator.

Cap Hit Calculations
SEASON INITIAL BASE SALARY INITIAL CAP HIT SIGNING BONUS BUYOUT COST POST-BUYOUT EARNINGS SAVINGS CAP HIT (VANVAN)
2021-22 $5,700,000 $4,300,000 $0 $1,900,000 $1,900,000 $3,800,000 $500,000
2022-23 $0 $0 $0 $1,900,000 $1,900,000 -$1,900,000 $1,900,000
TOTAL $5,700,000 $4,300,000 $0 $3,800,000 $3,800,000 $1,900,000 $2,400,000

17 minutes ago, appleboy said:

I see where you’re coming from, but I would prefer we maximize our chances at a real run in 22-23 instead of 21-22. I’d rather have Holtby’s full salary next year and off the books completely for 22-23 even if it means we’re a playoff bubble team again next year. No more additional dead money in 22-23 when we are in our prime.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Have to agree. There should be no excuses tonight. Injuries are there but a week off is a big advantage 

Agree. The players had a valid complaint about the rough early schedule and the lack of rest and practice. Well here’s your rest and practice time. Now, let’s show up.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

I see where you’re coming from, but I would prefer we maximize our chances at a real run in 22-23 instead of 21-22. I’d rather have Holtby’s full salary next year and off the books completely for 22-23 even if it means we’re a playoff bubble team again next year. No more additional dead money in 22-23 when we are in our prime.

Next year will be really tight. They have 21 mil for Hughes , Petey and 3 D men.  Something like that.   Unless they can clear some space.  No money at all for Edler.