The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

21 minutes ago, xereau said:

Well, it leaned heavily on Hindu spiritualism and / or the Wheel of Time, that history inevitably repeats itself.

WoT is a hell of a fantasy series, worth the read if you like epic high fantasy.

Comparisons to Tolkien, now I have to delve into this.

• Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Watched the whole series pre-covid. Might be worth a redo.

I didn’t know they produced a 1994 version, where can I find it?

The 94 version was written by Stephen King and is pretty true to the book.  I like it waaaay better, bug keep in mind that it was a made for TV movie, so it's a bit cheesey and the effects kind of old school monster makeup.  Still, it's an excellent adaptation.  This like is the entire 4 part, 6 hour series

https://youtu.be/gUb-wx5PO3A

Edited by stawns
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:19 PM, nucksnavsfan said:

Just got here, my mom passed earlier today and I decided I could use the distraction of checking in

please tell me they’re winning ?? 

Oh my gosh, I'm so sorry to hear that.  You have my sincere condolences...we're here for you.  <3

• Like 2
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, stawns said:

The 94 version was written by Stephen King and is pretty true to the book.  I like it waaaay better, bug keep in mind that it was a made for TV movie, so it's a bit cheesey and the effects kind of old school monster makeup.  Still, it's an excellent adaptation.  This like is the entire 4 part, 6 hour series

I watched the latest one and I prefer the 94 version, the characters more fit my vision of them after reading the book.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

I wonder how next season will be like. I don't think it will be a completely normal season like how it was pre-COVID, but I could see it being better than the current season and being it more of a transition period.

It might be much much worse. Toronto is shut down again..

These variant strains are much worse and the vaccines don't work on them. The symptoms with these mutated strains are much worse. 

Drug companies are working hard at making new vaccines for the new variant ones... they will have to do clinic trials tgen more trials. It will take a year.. and then there will be more variants.. the virus keeps mutating.. and it's not going to all of a sudden stop mutating. 

This doesn't look to end soon. I have a bad feeling things will get much worse before getting better. 

I just went to Wal-Mart they only had self checkouts open. No cashiers.. I asked why they said because so many called in sick they don't have cashier to be able to open tills. 

Horrible situation. 

• Sad 1

Just now, WHL rocks said:

It might be much much worse. Toronto is shut down again..

These variant strains are much worse and the vaccines don't work on them. The symptoms with these mutated strains are much worse. 

Drug companies are working hard at making new vaccines for the new variant ones... they will have to do clinic trials tgen more trials. It will take a year.. and then there will be more variants.. the virus keeps mutating.. and it's not going to all of a sudden stop mutating. 

This doesn't look to end soon. I have a bad feeling things will get much worse before getting better. 

I just went to Wal-Mart they only had self checkouts open. No cashiers.. I asked why they said because so many called in sick they don't have cashier to be able to open tills. 

Horrible situation. 

That is my thought as well. The new variants is what will make it more challenging for things to return back to normal. It felt like there was optimism for things to get better sometime this year, but I feel like it will take at least another year to reach closer to normality.

• Cheers 1

25 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That is my thought as well. The new variants is what will make it more challenging for things to return back to normal. It felt like there was optimism for things to get better sometime this year, but I feel like it will take at least another year to reach closer to normality.

Sadly with the way COVID is mutating I think we’re a lot further than a year away and sadly, eventually one variant will be significantly worse than what we’ve seen so far. Too many people and Earth has had enough.

• Cheers 2

2 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

Nutshell: The Forces of Evil occasionally get banished to the underworld every so often by The Dragon Reborn, and his army of heroes. It takes them a LONG time to come back, but they always do. The problem is this: the last time they fought, the Dark One tainted the male half of the true source, and those who can channel it in the next age are driven insane in the aftermath. The Dragon goes totally whacko, and nearly ruins the world, and so all men who can channel are nearly culled from the population. And so when the Dark One pops up his head again like 6000 years later, he starts by spawning his minions (Trollocs, and higher level freaky stuff), the world isn't prepared at all, and it takes the effort of an Aes Sedai (female wizard) who has to manufacture reality in a way, by decoding ancient prophecies, and making them happen to manifest the Dragon's reappearance. And that's where it starts, with her trying to put together the pieces.

Edited by xereau

On 3/31/2021 at 9:19 PM, nucksnavsfan said:

Just got here, my mom passed earlier today and I decided I could use the distraction of checking in

please tell me they’re winning ?? 

So sorry for your loss, thoughts with you and your family 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CaptKirk888 said:

3 hours ago, xereau said:

See ya in a couple years. 15 books. 3 million words lol.

3 hours ago, stawns said:

1 hour ago, Timråfan said:

More like a month if you’re a bookfan. B)

Robin Hobb is a good fantasywriter. 
A slightly different tone, approach.

This is very interesting stuff here.. I used to read a lot of books in the 90s when I was going to school in the states.  Mostly westerns. 

I've been thinking of starting reading again.. 

Which book would each of you guys recommend to start. 1 book... All/Any genre.

1 book book each please and I will go purchase all 4 tomorrow afternoon.  And report back... 

Thx guys..

• Cheers 2

14 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

This is very interesting stuff here.. I used to read a lot of books in the 90s when I was going to school in the states.  Mostly westerns. 

I've been thinking of starting reading again.. 

Which book would each of you guys recommend to start. 1 book... All/Any genre.

1 book book each please and I will go purchase all 4 tomorrow afternoon.  And report back... 

Thx guys..

08FA98E9-11B2-4131-9832-BC717C8BB33E.jpeg

• Cheers 2

18 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Googled it sounds good .. I'll add to list which I'm about to start right now... 

I know you said one but look up The Long Walk, amazing story, I believe Stephen Kings first story, he wrote it when he was 18.

Edited by Dumb Nuck
  • Cheers 1

11 hours ago, TNucks1 said:

watched the first 2 seasons, couldnt get into it.
edit: finally got around to watching chernobyl, i thought it was good.

yeah the wire is one of those shows people like right away and a lot, or don't it seems.