The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

28 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Shutting down the Canucks has ramifications for the other 6 teams in the north division. They need to try to complete as many games as possible. 

They tried to in the first month of the season:rolleyes:

• Haha 1
  • Burr 1

38 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Shutting down the Canucks has ramifications for the other 6 teams in the north division. They need to try to complete as many games as possible. 

There's always win %. In a pandemic, health has to come before finishing the season. I think settling playoffs by win % if they can't complete games is a fair compromise for an already odd season.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

There's always win %. In a pandemic, health has to come before finishing the season. I think settling playoffs by win % if they can't complete games is a fair compromise for an already odd season.

It’s clearly plan B. NHL.com has had point percentage on their leaderboard this season.  But the old adage of “you gotta play the games” is true.  The more games they can complete the more legitimate the standings. 

1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

It’s clearly plan B. NHL.com has had point percentage on their leaderboard this season.  But the old adage of “you gotta play the games” is true.  The more games they can complete the more legitimate the standings. 

For sure that's the goal. But I'd rather the league prioritize 21-22 being as pure as it can and not extend this season longer than need be at the risk of health or longterm scheduling issues by pushing out 21-22 further.

12 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

For sure that's the goal. But I'd rather the league prioritize 21-22 being as pure as it can and not extend this season longer than need be at the risk of health or longterm scheduling issues by pushing out 21-22 further.

All I’m saying is at this point it’s not realistic to expect the league will shut down the Canucks for the rest of the season.  They’ll go through covid protocols as needed and return to play when safe.  They can look at how many games can realistically be rescheduled at that point.  The league wants the games played 

• Hydration 1

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

All I’m saying is at this point it’s not realistic to expect the league will shut down the Canucks for the rest of the season.  They’ll go through covid protocols as needed and return to play when safe.  They can look at how many games can realistically be rescheduled at that point.  The league wants the games played 

For sure. I agree that the NHL should and will do whatever they can within the various regional guidelines provied to complete as many games as possible. But if the Canucks are sidelined for another 2 weeks on top of the bye week they just had, it's going to be a heck of a squeeze to complete the season. At that point, the health of the players and staff has to come before completing all 56 games.
But, yes, the NHL will do what they can to play as many games as possible, but completing 56 games for the Canucks at this point looks like its on very thin ice and I'm just discussing backup plans.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

iMac is doubtful the Canucks will get a 56 game season in at this point....

They should be given an opportunity to move up in the draft is that’s the case!

• Hydration 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Pretty sure it would be just like trading an injured player. It's still possible, but clearly would effect their value/how saleable they are.

Players have to self isolate per MacIntyre.

LeBrun mentioned that teams in Canada have been concerned about the 14 day quarantine after what happened with Dubois who injured himself due to conditioning following his quarantine.  Dubois did not test positive and could work out in his hotel room as he waited to be cleared.  Players might not be allowed to do anything here if they apply the same protocol as for the Wild.

Wild players were not allowed to exercice while in self-isolation for 2 weeks.  Per protocol players that test positive are not allowed to exercise for at least 14 days whether symptomatic or not, but they seem to have applied it to the whole team with so many infected. Testing can take a few days to detect the virus and it was running through the team.  Players have to go through cardiac screening before they are allowed to elevate their heart rate.  

Wild players talked of how they completely lost their conditioning doing nothing for that long.  

Then there would be the quarantine following the trade if a bubble to bubble transfer is not possible (Vesey avoided quarantine but not Boyd).  Teams could be even more concerned about the risk of injury after not being able to properly train for that long. 

2 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

iMac is doubtful the Canucks will get a 56 game season in at this point....

I have to agree with him. The Canucks could potentially be off almost an entire calendar month in an already tight season. Where are the extra days going to come from? It's too risky for the players and staffs health to squeeze in a 56 game season in this scenario.

• Hydration 2

1 minute ago, EmilyM said:

For sure. I agree that the NHL should and will do whatever they can within the various regional guidelines provied to complete as many games as possible. But if the Canucks are sidelined for another 2 weeks on top of the bye week they just had, it's going to be a heck of a squeeze to complete the season. At that point, the health of the players and staff has to come before completing all 56 games.
But, yes, the NHL will do what they can to play as many games as possible, but completing 56 games for the Canucks at this point looks like its on very thin ice and I'm just discussing backup plans.

I think we’re agreeing on everything. Lol. Step 1. Get through covid protocol and then see what’s realistic.  If it’s another 2 weeks then yeah, they’ll likely not complete all 56 games. Maybe they get to 52/53.  I was just responding to someone who said they’d be ok with just pulling the plug on the Canucks season right now. Which clearly is not an option in any way 

31 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

The Olympics prevents them from extending the playoffs / the season.  All the off-season dates are already set.

Edited by mll
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Crazy sale at Canadian Tire on Grandview Highway 

Regular 20$, now 1$ 

C395FB35-6CDF-42BF-8FB9-DFB37483B20C.jpeg

I would buy all of it.

This was me yesterday (no word of a lie)....$0.54/pack on clearance, bought them all.  Got Petey!!  JT, Holtby, Makar, MacKinnon, etc.  

image.png

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

They should be given an opportunity to move up in the draft is that’s the case!

Fine with me; get them rested up and ready to go for next season, though I hope our current pending UFA's aren't part of the Covid group so that after this gets lifted they can still be moved at the deadline.

• Hydration 1

11 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I have to agree with him. The Canucks could potentially be off almost an entire calendar month in an already tight season. Where are the extra days going to come from? It's too risky for the players and staffs health to squeeze in a 56 game season in this scenario.

Well the bye week was already built in.

It will be two additional weeks. They can cram a weeks worth in the final month or so and then I imagine they’ll see where things are at.

Might need to have regular season games being played while the playoffs have started.

Another scenario is just doing another 24 team play in. Might be the fairest way at this point.

Edited by DeNiro

• -SN- changed the title to [GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP
  • -SN- unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic