The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well the bye week was already built in.

It will be two additional weeks. They can cram a weeks worth in the final month or so and then I imagine they’ll see where things are at.

Might need to have regular season games being played while the playoffs have started.

Another scenario is just doing another 24 team play in. Might be the fairest way at this point.

They don’t have the time to do a play in.  If they did they could just extend the seal long enough to complete the scheduled games.  Odds are they’ll complete somewhere between 50-53 games then go by point percentage.  

2 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Well the bye week was already built in.

It will be two additional weeks. They can cram a weeks worth in the final month or so and then I imagine they’ll see where things are at.

Might need to have regular season games being played while the playoffs have started.

Another scenario is just doing another 24 team play in. Might be the fairest way at this point.

The play in as lousy as the league might think it is, is not a bad way to go. Basically makes sure playoffs start in late April, early June. 

Wasn't like the league didn't try, but viruses have other ideas. 

• Hydration 2

4 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

They don’t have the time to do a play in.  If they did they could just extend the seal long enough to complete the scheduled games.  Odds are they’ll complete somewhere between 50-53 games then go by point percentage.  

Doing 6 less games would allow them to do the play in though. 

Scrap the games they added at the end and just start the playoffs earlier.

These outbreaks have disrupted too much to make the final seeding legit. I think most teams would be in favour of last seasons format now.

Edited by DeNiro

6 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Doing 6 less games would allow them to do the play in though. 

Scrap the games they added at the end and just start the playoffs earlier.

These outbreaks have disrupted too much to make the final seeding legit. I think most teams would be in favour of last seasons format now.

That’s 3-6 fewer games with them playing right up until may 11th. The playoffs are scheduled to start May 11th. So the North will start a few days later than the rest of the league.  

A play in round isn’t feasible. Nor is it necessary.  As things stand right now the top 4 are pretty much set.  Montreal would need to go in the tank and one of Vancouver  or Calgary would need to go on a tear for it to change.  What can change is the seeding of those top 4 teams 

Right now we don’t know exactly how big of an effect the Vancouver stoppage will have. But currently there haven’t been any games cancelled. Just postponed. So you can’t really argue the legitimacy of the standings. 

Edited by qwijibo

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

That’s 3-6 fewer games with them playing right up until may 11th. The playoffs are scheduled to start May 11th. So the North will start a few days later than the rest of the league.  A play in round isn’t feasible. Nor is it necessary.  

It is necessary if every team can’t finish their games just like last season.

Of course it’s feasible, just takes another schedule adjustment that teams vote on.

Somehow I doubt this is the last outbreak so they’re going to need to start planning for that now. Don’t wait a month and then realize you have to do a bubble.

Edited by DeNiro

30 minutes ago, mll said:

Players have to self isolate per MacIntyre.

LeBrun mentioned that teams in Canada have been concerned about the 14 day quarantine after what happened with Dubois who injured himself due to conditioning following his quarantine.  Dubois did not test positive and could work out in his hotel room as he waited to be cleared.  Players might not be allowed to do anything here if they apply the same protocol as for the Wild.

Wild players were not allowed to exercice while in self-isolation for 2 weeks.  Per protocol players that test positive are not allowed to exercise for at least 14 days whether symptomatic or not, but they seem to have applied it to the whole team with so many infected. Testing can take a few days to detect the virus and it was running through the team.  Players have to go through cardiac screening before they are allowed to elevate their heart rate.  

Wild players talked of how they completely lost their conditioning doing nothing for that long.  

Then there would be the quarantine following the trade if a bubble to bubble transfer is not possible (Vesey avoided quarantine but not Boyd).  Teams could be even more concerned about the risk of injury after not being able to properly train for that long. 

None of that says they can't be traded. I already addressed that it certainly would effect their perceived value and how saleable they'd be. For many of the reasons your post outlines.

Just now, aGENT said:

None of that says they can't be traded. I already addressed that it certainly would effect their perceived value and how saleable they'd be. For many of the reasons your post outlines.

The likelihood of a trade feels just close to nil.  Can’t really blame Benning if he can’t make a trade given all those conditioning and quarantine issues.

4 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Of course it’s feasible, just takes another schedule adjustment that teams vote on.

Somehow I doubt this is the last outbreak so they’re going to need to start planning for that now. Don’t wait a month and then realize you have to do a bubble.

If the season were to end today and they went by point percentage rather than points the only thing that would change would be the 3/4 seeding. Montreal has a better points percentage than Edmonton.  If most teams are able to complete their schedule and a couple can’t then points percentage will be fine to establish playoff seeding.  I’m willing to bet real money that there won’t be a play in round 

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Point percentage.   The NHL is  not going to open re-negotiation of the format with the NHLPA.  The NHL can’t unilaterally change the format.  There’s no time and players are focused on the season.

The other divisions all still have a 56 game schedule.

They also can’t cross the border - they are discussing relocation to the US for the 3rd / 4th round.  It would still be 1 divisional winner and the North will play among themselves till there is only 1 standing.  Other than Calgary/Vancouver not sure why the other teams would want to extend to 6 given the standings.

• Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Raspberries said:

So the question will be are they on it because of

positive tests or being close contacts?

If they can test negative over the next several days they could be good to return in a week. In which case our schedule wouldn’t be disrupted too much.

34 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Someone get Rathbone on the Rath-Phone.

Our new D core:

Myers Rathbone

Juolevi Schmidt

Benn Rafferty

under different circumstances I'd be kind of pumped to see Juolevi-Schmidt. It would be great if that was a solid fit. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

under different circumstances I'd be kind of pumped to see Juolevi-Schmidt. It would be great if that was a solid fit. 

On paper it seems like a good match.

Juolvei being the stay at home guy while Schmidt is allowed to run and gun more.

That being said they’ve sat Juolevi for a month and it’s likely he’s very rusty now.

• -SN- changed the title to [GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP
  • -SN- unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic