Jump to content
The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

8 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

They were at 8 with additional cases now, might have to wait till they all recover.

They’ll resume once there are no new cases for the prescribed time.  Vancouver will need to make due with who’s healthy plus fill ins from the taxi squad. The league has made other teams play with depleted lineups, Vancouver won’t be any different 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, qwijibo said:

They’ll resume once there are no new cases for the prescribed time.  Vancouver will need to make due with who’s healthy plus fill ins from the taxi squad. The league has made other teams play with depleted lineups, Vancouver won’t be any different 

There are only so many players available without being quarantined as well, if 15+ players come down with it don’t think they could ice a team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

There are only so many players available without being quarantined as well, if 15+ players come down with it don’t think they could ice a team.

The Devils had 17 players on covid protocols at one point and they returned to play after 2 weeks. 

  • Hydration 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, qwijibo said:

The Devils had 17 players on covid protocols at one point and they returned to play after 2 weeks. 

That’s what I said, 2-3 weeks.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Dumb Nuck said:

That’s what I said, 2-3 weeks.

I was focused on your statement thst they’d have to wait until everyone recovered. That wasn’t the case in NJ. They returned to play once there were no new cases for a sufficient time. Players remained on the covid list even after they returned to play 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, we now have a better winning percentage than the Flames, and more games at hand. Pretty good for an idle, Covid-ridden team.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Slegr said:

Well, we now have a better winning percentage than the Flames, and more games at hand. Pretty good for an idle, Covid-ridden team.

That just means the Flames will get a higher seeding in the draft 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

It’s very unlikely they call the season. Other teams have had to play with extremely depleted lineups once they got through covid protocols.  You have to consider the trickle down effects to the other 6 teams in the division. They’ll play as many games as they can. I’m guessing they’ll still get in at least 50 games 

Those happened earlier in the season allowing them to reschedule games. We will see if they get things under control. Even a taxi squad player is tested positive apparently. Would be nice to catch a few more games this season, but this happening this late in the season doesn't look promising.

Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

The Canucks would ice the Comets before they forfeit the season.

 

It ain’t happening. 

The Comets have been shutdown for quite a while as well due to covid as well.

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Those happened earlier in the season allowing them to reschedule games. We will see if they get things under control. Even a taxi squad player is tested positive apparently. Would be nice to catch a few more games this season, but this happening this late in the season doesn't look promising.

Montreal missed a week and had to have 4 games rescheduled. They still have 4 games in hand and won’t catch up with Vancouver in games played until late next week. If the Canucks only need to reschedule 4-6 games they should be able to get 3-4 of them in. They aren’t going to scuttle 19 games over this 

Edited by qwijibo
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Montreal missed a week and had to have 4 games rescheduled. They still have 4 games in hand and won’t catch up with Vancouver in games played until late next week. If the Canucks only need to reschedule 4-6 games they should be able to get 3-4 of them in. They aren’t going to scuttle 19 games over this 

Montreal had 2 players out. We have 8+staff and maybe a taxi squad player on top. Plus with news that maybe even more positives coming with news of a variant amongst those. The Comets have been on pause for even longer prior to this as well. We may already be mathematically eliminated in a couple of weeks.

 

I'm all for getting more games in to potentially see some of the young guys like Lind get some game time for example. But I could see the league not wanting to risk any more transmission amongst the playoff teams (as they're talking of shutting down even Calgary and Ottawa as well if they're also mathematically eliminated) as it'll be more disruptive to the league if something did happen. Could also see the BC government stepping in somehow if they found out the Canucks weren't following protocols.

 

I assume a lot will be determined in those games that Montreal does play to catch up in games played to see where they go with this.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, theo5789 said:

Montreal had 2 players out. We have 8+staff and maybe a taxi squad player on top. Plus with news that maybe even more positives coming with news of a variant amongst those. The Comets have been on pause for even longer prior to this as well. We may already be mathematically eliminated in a couple of weeks.

 

I'm all for getting more games in to potentially see some of the young guys like Lind get some game time for example. But I could see the league not wanting to risk any more transmission amongst the playoff teams (as they're talking of shutting down even Calgary and Ottawa as well if they're also mathematically eliminated) as it'll be more disruptive to the league if something did happen. Could also see the BC government stepping in somehow if they found out the Canucks weren't following protocols.

 

I assume a lot will be determined in those games that Montreal does play to catch up in games played to see where they go with this.

My point wasn’t how many players Montreal had out. Only that Vancouver has played more games than most of the division. It gives them some wiggle room for how long they can be shut down with actually cancelling games. Other teams have had to ice extremely depleted lineups due to covid. Vancouver won’t be the exception 

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

The Comets have been shutdown for quite a while as well due to covid as well.

I haven’t heard anything about their players not being available to us.

 

If we have to ice a roster that features Eriksson, Baertschi, Lind, and Jasek so be it.

 

Edited by DeNiro
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

My point wasn’t how many players Montreal had out. Only that Vancouver has played more games than most of the division. It gives them some wiggle room for how long they can be shut down with actually cancelling games. Other teams have had to ice extremely depleted lineups due to covid. Vancouver won’t be the exception 

Aside from Montreal, every team has caught up and even surpassed us now in games played amongst the North. And like I said, Montreal will also catch up while we are off likely at least two weeks and we may already be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by then. Playing "meaningless" games that may risk potential transmission to playoff teams may not be of best interest for the league. If we get this under control quickly and Montreal falters, then it's more likely they try to get things back rolling if seemed safe. If we are going to have games out right cancelled anyway, then what's the point of playing the others if there are no playoff implications?

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I haven’t heard anything about their players not being available to us.

 

If we have to ice a roster that features Eriksson, Baertschi, Lind, and Jasek so be it.

 

Will have to quarantine if we decide to bring them up from Utica. Don't know exactly what's going on there in the first place, so don't know who has been affected, but they've been down for quite some time now. There may be benefit for us to get some players some game time, but may not be of best interest of the league for them to decide that it's worth the risk of playing meaningless games that could affect the playoff teams.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Squamfan said:

Yikes , hope everybody is okay and is safe 

 

 

If it is that bad then I think the season is over for us, if the NHL doesn’t shut us down health Canada will, having said that, my prayers for each and every Canuck, may you recover fully and quickly.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Aside from Montreal, every team has caught up and even surpassed us now in games played amongst the North. And like I said, Montreal will also catch up while we are off likely at least two weeks and we may already be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs by then. Playing "meaningless" games that may risk potential transmission to playoff teams may not be of best interest for the league. If we get this under control quickly and Montreal falters, then it's more likely they try to get things back rolling if seemed safe. If we are going to have games out right cancelled anyway, then what's the point of playing the others if there are no playoff implications?

Because there ARE playoff implications for the other teams.  Those games could be pivotal in determining seeding for the top four teams.  Also, draft order seeding will be determined by those games. Is it fair to seed Vancouver based on 37 games when every other team completes their 56 games?  They need to complete as many games as they can to preserve the integrity of those two things 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • SNuck changed the title to [GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP
  • SNuck unfeatured, unpinned and locked this topic
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...