The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

24 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

Will have to quarantine if we decide to bring them up from Utica. Don't know exactly what's going on there in the first place, so don't know who has been affected, but they've been down for quite some time now. There may be benefit for us to get some players some game time, but may not be of best interest of the league for them to decide that it's worth the risk of playing meaningless games that could affect the playoff teams.

Not playing affects revenue - they have to consider sponsors, Sportsnet and other broadcasts. If they can resume safely they’ll likely want to play as many games as they can.

If any games get cancelled would expect it to be the ones vs Calgary or Ottawa as the others affect the standings for the playoffs.  

They’ve just moved up OTT vs WPG to Monday from 8 May.  Looks like they want to create scheduling flexibility for when Vancouver can return.

Just now, Smashian Kassian said:

:( 

As much as hockey has been a nice return to normalcy, here's a reality check that we are still going through hard times. 

I don't even know what to think beyond wishing the players that are really sick a speedy recovery.

Tell that to my neighbors and the 10 mask less people they had over for easter dinner tonight

• Sad 2

3 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Because there ARE playoff implications for the other teams.  Those games could be pivotal in determining seeding for the top four teams.  Also, draft order seeding will be determined by those games. Is it fair to seed Vancouver based on 37 games when every other team completes their 56 games?  They need to complete as many games as they can to preserve the integrity of those two things 

There is already talks of shutting down Calgary and Ottawa as well. The rest could determine their playoff fate. There was already plans in case they had to shorten seasons to simply go with points percentage. Last year's play-ins were determined based on points percentage despite not every team having the same number of games. The players' health and preserving the teams that will be playing in the playoffs has to be the top priority for the league. If worrying about draft seeding, then Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver may as well tank as many games possible to increase their odds if they're already mathematically eliminated. Doesn't seem to be a need to play these games and increase any risk to the actual playoffs.

• Cheers 1

6 minutes ago, mll said:

Not playing affects revenue - they have to consider sponsors, Sportsnet and other broadcasts. If they can resume safely they’ll likely want to play as many games as they can.

If any games get cancelled would expect it to be the ones vs Calgary or Ottawa as the others affect the standings for the playoffs.  

They’ve just moved up OTT vs WPG to Monday from 8 May.  Looks like they want to create scheduling flexibility for when Vancouver can return.

If you look at our schedule apart from 2 two day breaks we play every second day, even making up 4 games would take us past the end of the season, if we mis 7 or 8, just don’t know how we can make that up. The way the situation is evolving is quite scary, we weren’t making the playoffs anyways, the focus has now need to be on the safety of the players, worst case scenario for the NHL is always P%.

1 minute ago, theo5789 said:

There is already talks of shutting down Calgary and Ottawa as well. The rest could determine their playoff fate. There was already plans in case they had to shorten seasons to simply go with points percentage. Last year's play-ins were determined based on points percentage despite not every team having the same number of games. The players' health and preserving the teams that will be playing in the playoffs has to be the top priority for the league. If worrying about draft seeding, then Ottawa, Calgary and Vancouver may as well tank as many games possible to increase their odds if they're already mathematically eliminated. Doesn't seem to be a need to play these games and increase any risk to the actual playoffs.

Source? 

• Cheers 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Why should the non-playoff teams even bother trying against the playoff teams if it hurts their odds for the draft? Why increase the risk on the actual playoff teams and playoff revenue?

I could see if Montreal starts to falter and their being an actual race still for the playoffs for Vancouver and Calgary that they will continue as far as they can, so it is smart to create that flexibility. However if the top 4 teams are known, there isn't much benefit for the teams to continue beyond the financial aspect where having a smooth playoffs would be more important I would think.

11 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Source? 

I guess it's more speculation and I misinterpreted it. But if his speculation is indeed what the league is thinking and we are basically mathematically eliminated by the time our 2-3 week break is over, then that could shut us down if not already determined already for Calgary and Ottawa as well.

Edited by theo5789

10 minutes ago, stawns said:

Tell that to my neighbors and the 10 mask less people they had over for easter dinner tonight

Like I said, I don't really know what to think.

Statistically the people who really suffer from this seems to be low, on the other hand there are cases 'close to home' where people really do suffer - anecdotally people close to me have gotten really sick (in the past).

If I'm being cynical I think we are socially corrupted to the point where we can't deal with something serious like this properly - though I don't think I've figured that out completely. On the otherhand; I think we've taken half measures in the past when people were legitimately on board to fight this collectively. Now people given in to political narrative or just don't see enough of its impact first hand.

That's not justifying poor decisions, just trying to think through/understand this as best I can. Broken record but again, don't know what to think. Hard times. :( 

• Cheers 2
  • Huggy Bear 1

12 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Source? 

I’m assuming he’s referencing the speculation that they would cancel Calgary and Ottawa games at the end of the season if there were no playoff implications.

Thats much different than there being talks of the league shutting them down.

59 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

That is scary. Get well soon to all the players.

Also, if they need IV and that kinda treatment, I do not believe we will see them back this season with so few games left.

RIP season. Stay safe you all!

I might have to follow another team this season. Anyone recommend one? I generally only have time to follow the Canucks.

We should have a pretty good idea of what to expect by Tuesday Wednesday I’d say. If games are going to be postponed another week then I’d say different measures will be taken then just re-scheduling games before playoffs start. 

Personally I don’t want to speculate until then

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, theo5789 said:

I guess it's more speculation and I misinterpreted it. But if his speculation is indeed what the league is thinking and we are basically mathematically eliminated by the time our 2-3 week break is over, then that could shut us down if not already determined already for Calgary and Ottawa as well.

This is just a reporter thinking out loud.  Zero actual intel. And even then I read it as pushing games against Calgary and Ottawa to the end but still playing the games vs Winnipeg, Edmonton snd Calgary. Only cancelling games against non playoff teams as needed.  No sense speculating on this until the full extent of the infection is known. But the league’s preference is to have as many games as possible played. We’ll see how that ultimately plays out 

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

This is just a reporter thinking out loud.  Zero actual intel. And even then I read it as pushing games against Calgary and Ottawa to the end but still playing the games vs Winnipeg, Edmonton snd Calgary. Only cancelling games against non playoff teams as needed.  No sense speculating on this until the full extent of the infection is known. But the league’s preference is to have as many games as possible played. We’ll see how that ultimately plays out 

This makes sense if we resume, I hope we do but doubt we will, COVID is on the rise everywhere and the strains are getting worse, we’ll be lucky to see the playoffs.

9 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Yeah after I found it and re-read it, I got that. But hearing the severity on some players and the fact that it's a highly contagious variant for some, I personally would not be upset if our season was done. I'll be glad to catch a few more games if safe. I just see about a month left of the season and if there's a further delay of two weeks into that, then I just wonder if there really is a point in continuing given the outbreak rather than a couple of players affected. Might only be about 9 games that could be played if we don't absolutely compact the schedule and if we aren't even eliminated at that point. The playoff teams may choose to rest their players against us at that point and it just becomes a preseason style game where the guys just want to get it done and over with anyway.

But yes we will see how it plays out. I'm fine either way as long as player safety is the priority over revenues.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, FaninMex said:

That is scary. Get well soon to all the players.

Also, if they need IV and that kinda treatment, I do not believe we will see them back this season with so few games left.

RIP season. Stay safe you all!

I might have to follow another team this season. Anyone recommend one? I generally only have time to follow the Canucks.

If this info is true, I'd be all for throwing in the towel on this season.  Not much point in continuing anyway...some things are more important than hockey.

• Vintage 2

5 minutes ago, Captain Canuck #12 said:

If this info is true, I'd be all for throwing in the towel on this season.  Not much point in continuing anyway...some things are more important than hockey.

Just an opinion. Getting sick to the point that you need and IV is fairly serious. It takes time to get your body back to a professional hockey players standard. We shall see what happens.

• Cheers 1