The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

Imagine, in the Canucks’ next game, if they had a line of Gaudette, MacEwan and Roussel, with Hughes and Edler on defense, and Holtby between the pipes.... nobody would want to come near us! The Corona-line? C-19 line? No-need-to-vax line?

1 minute ago, DeNiro said:

There’s not enough data to say it’s more lethal to young people yet or that it is more resistant to vaccines.

Irresponsible of the media to keep spreading fear like that.

Agreed, though the p1 variant is mutating again in Brazil and they think that one might have some vaccine resistance. 

I would be ok if the season came to an end for the Canucks, playoffs are unlikely, give everyone the proper rest needed instead of rushing to get back. 

focus on a top 10 pick and find a way to move some contracts 

season over. I can accept that 

1 minute ago, stawns said:

Agreed, though the p1 variant is mutating again in Brazil and they think that one might have some vaccine resistance. 

True but again the data isn’t there.

More resistant could simply mean the vaccine is only 80% effective as opposed to 90%.

In the meantime spreading fear is not the solution.

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

There’s not enough data to say it’s more lethal to young people yet or that it is more resistant to vaccines.

He said "possible", which is exactly what the Brazilian (and other) medical experts have said in articles I have referenced elsewhere.

Johnston is truth-telling, not fear-mongering.  Better to be informed than ignorant is his objective

Edited by Googlie
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, mll said:

Might not be anyone from Utica yet.  Brisebois was loaned to the Laval Rockets in Montreal.  

That will change.

They need to know the full scope of who’s affected before they can recall players.

Theres certain protocols that need to be followed for recalls too.

13 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

"Possibly".   

I feel like the message is being sent because we keep seeing these party videos of young people who aren't taking it seriously.  Big White, Whistler (where this variant seems to have started to spread?), etc.

A "take this seriously" message will do more good than harm (I feel).

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, Googlie said:

He said "possible", which is exactly what the Brazilian (and other) medical experts have said in articles I have referenced elsewhere.

Johnston is truth-telling, not fear-mongering.  Better to be informed than ignorant is his objectuve

Saying something is possible doesn’t mean it’s not fear mongering.

Without data to support something anything could be said to be possible. Lots of things were possible when this pandemic hit, doesn’t mean they were all true.

I’ll wait for researchers to provide the full data before I start making assumptions.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

"Possibly".   

I feel like the message is being sent because we keep seeing these party videos of young people who aren't taking it seriously.  Big White, Whistler (where this variant seems to have started to spread?), etc.

A "take this seriously" message will do more good than harm (I feel).

I agree to an extent. People for sure need to take it seriously.

However we also need to live in a world where facts are supported by real hard data. Otherwise people are going to not believe anything scientists say. 

5 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

I agree to an extent. People for sure need to take it seriously.

However we also need to live in a world where facts are supported by real hard data. Otherwise people are going to not believe anything scientists say. 

True, I agree.  Sad thing is this is a matter of urgency and there is no "supported by real hard data" yet.  And people are going on FB posts and a whim in many instances.  So giving them a bit of a possible "other side" kind of balances it out.

In normal circumstances, I'd agree fully.  But there hasn't been time to produce "hard data/facts" but the fact is people are making their own versions of that up and it's creating risk.  The Big White festering flu holes a good example of why some of these scare tactics may not be ideal, but if they're effective well.....

A greater good.  "Possibly", for me, means consider this as a possibility until the hard facts and data come in.

• Upvote 1
  • RoughGame 1

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

Then why are planes still landing in Canada from Brazil. Can we ban international flights like New Zealand

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Saying something is possible doesn’t mean it’s not fear mongering.

Without data to support something anything could be said to be possible. Lots of things were possible when this pandemic hit, doesn’t mean they were all true.

I’ll wait for researchers to provide the full data before I start making assumptions.

Read the paragraphs after "more transmissible" .....

https://www.bmj.com/content/373/bmj.n879

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

True, I agree.  Sad thing is this is a matter of urgency and there is no "supported by real hard data" yet.  And people are going on FB posts and a whim in many instances.  So giving them a bit of a possible "other side" kind of balances it out.

In normal circumstances, I'd agree fully.  But there hasn't been time to produce "hard data/facts" but the fact is people are making their own versions of that up and it's creating risk.  The Big White festering flu holes a good example of why some of these scare tactics may not be ideal, but if they're effective well.....

Fully agree.

I get why they’re doing it I just hope as a society we keep thinking critically and don’t let misinformation or assumptions become fact.

Misinformation when weaponized can be dangerous too as we’ve seen.

I hope this scares young people into being more responsible but I have my doubts. If they didn’t listen to reason before whats the chance they start now?

• Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1