The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

37 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Wishing the Canucks and their families all the best. 

Maybe we play again this season maybe we don’t. Just get healthy boys!

Wishing everyone who gets covid and their families all the best all across society

Especially the population at most risk of death or hospitalization. Like elderly and those with prior medical issues. 

My friends whole family got it. His mom barely made it. 3 of his family members were in hospital. 

The variant strains scare me more than I ever was since the begining. 

• Huggy Bear 2
  • Vintage 2

21 minutes ago, Chronic.Canucks.Fan said:

I tried to make a lineup for fun... It was tough

Virtanen-Miller-Boeser
Vesey-Hoglander-Loui
Michaelis-Lind-Graovac

Literally out of forwards (Pettersson, Beagle, Pearson)

Juolevi-Schmidt
Benn-Chatfield
Sautner-Rafferty

DiPietro

Pure speculation. But based on reasonable logic  - who could be exposed on the taxi squad? - it's probably Graovac.

16 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I looked it up a bit, what is concerning that it spreads a lot easier than previous strains and that it can hide from any antibodies your body may have so people can get reinfected, I found nothing to indicate the virus itself is any more lethal.

Right. But the original strain was highly-communicative as well; there were many, many more cases than ever known ... the asymptomatic aspect was always the oddball factor. The variant has the feel that we are turning the clock back 13 months and returning to square one. Very frustrating, but we cannot hide from this thing. 

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

I looked it up a bit, what is concerning that it spreads a lot easier than previous strains and that it can hide from any antibodies your body may have so people can get reinfected, I found nothing to indicate the virus itself is any more lethal.

The way it becomes "more lethal":

- Cases go through the roof

- People in ICU

- Diminished capacity to attend to them all

- Pick and choose time

- Becomes lethal by way of the overwhelming numbers

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Jack Fig said:

Right. But the original strain was highly-communicative as well; there were many, many more cases than ever known ... the asymptomatic aspect was always the oddball factor. The variant has the feel that we are turning the clock back 13 months and returning to square one. Very frustrating, but we cannot hide from this thing. 

If indeed the vaccine proves to be ineffective against this strain or a future strain then vaccination may have to be a seasonal thing as the strain evolve, I do not see how they could ever vaccinate whole countries on an annual basis, this may become something we’ll just have to live with.

3 minutes ago, Jack Fig said:

Well we can to some degree.  

We can hide until everyone's vaccinated.  I mean...we have to attend to work, etc.  But we don't have to do a lot of things we're currently doing and it's likely time to reel that in if the numbers are any indicator.  They're creeping higher.

• RoughGame 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

If indeed the vaccine proves to be ineffective against this strain or a future strain then vaccination may have to be a seasonal thing as the strain evolve, I do not see how they could ever vaccinate whole countries on an annual basis, this may become something we’ll just have to live with.

They're already predicting that this could very well be the case.

Just like the annual flu vaccine, this will become a yearly thing.

Just now, debluvscanucks said:

The way it becomes "more lethal":

- Cases go through the roof

- People in ICU

- Diminished capacity to attend to them all

- Pick and choose time

- Becomes lethal by way of the overwhelming numbers

I understand that, that’s what’s happening in Brazil, but as long as we can stay ahead of it there is no increased risk, only if we can’t.

Remember people...

Wash Your Hands regularly. That is the best defense..

If I'm out I was my hands often. When I come home very first thing I do is go straight to washroom and  wash hands with soap and hot water.. then take my jacket of or put away groceries. Straight to washroom upon entering my home.

I believe that's what every one has to do just like wearing a mask. Maybe even more important than a mask. Masks are mandatory but washing hands often should be treated  as same level of importance. 

• Cheers 2

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

Well we can to some degree.  

We can hide until everyone's vaccinated.  I mean...we have to attend to work, etc.  But we don't have to do a lot of things we're currently doing and it's likely time to reel that in if the numbers are any indicator.  They're creeping higher.

Not if the new strain(s) are not affected by current vaccines kinda like the flu, we may be stuck with it for a very long time.

1 minute ago, debluvscanucks said:

They're already predicting that this could very well be the case.

Just like the annual flu vaccine, this will become a yearly thing.

Problem is, you cant vaccinate everyone every year, at least with the flu vaccine only a small percentage get vaccinated.

• Cheers 1

3 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Remember people...

If I'm out I was my hands often. When I come home very first thing I do is go straight to washroom and  wash hands with soap and hot water.. then take my jacket of or put away groceries. Straight to washroom upon entering my home.

I believe that's what every one has to do just like wearing a mask. Maybe even more important than a mask. Masks are mandatory but washing hands often should be treated  as same level of importance. 

Speaking of masks, just in case you haven’t heard, certain disposable masks that were mainly given to children in schools and daycare may be causing breathing issues:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-brunswick/health-canada-issues-recall-disposable-masks-1.5974867

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

We ALL have to get every single person we know to buckle down right now.

It's running rampant in the lower mainland.  This is why there are shutdowns (sort of).

Please you guys....all of us...use this as the real wake up call.  Most of us were already doing it all, but for those "doubting" and in the "not that bad" category.  We just don't know and it seems to be "bad" by all accounts.

We just stopped at Kelly 'o' Brians for takeout and it was absolutely packed on the patio.  I think people are just throwing in the towel and giving up at this point

Atleast lots of good hockey games to watch today. 

Watching Carolina vs Dallas game 

1 - 1 tie so far. 

Will be watching AVS vs STL next. 

Good day to stay home watch sports. Only go out when mandatory. No need to be out and about for unnecessary reasons right now with cases skyrocketing. Over 1k new cases per day in BC. 

• Cheers 1

26 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

Remember people...

Correct. Hands are a big thing. For the first time that I can remember, I have not been sick even one day in the last 12 months, and I took/take the warning seriously of washing hands frequently. I think the mask-wearing has been damaging because now I look around and see people are emboldened to carry on conversing from a foot or two away, blowing breathe out the sides of their masks. 6 feet and handwashing was working better, IMO. 

Edited by Jack Fig