The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

2 minutes ago, rekker said:

Kind of feel that way, but I will still watch and hope for a few things. The Jets to take the North, the Leafs to drop the ball at some point, Vegas to lose, Bennington to suck, Sens play spoilers. What I struggle with are my feelings as a Canuck fan since 82. That is that the Charlie Brown cloud that always seems to follow his franchise has shown up again. 

Nah, Charlie Brown cloud would've been if the Canucks were first in the North and this happens 

• Cheers 2

40 minutes ago, gurn said:

Wtf, they have 9 times our population and 24 times our dead.

True, but you can't deny the US has vaccinated faster even though they've done pretty much everything else worse.  But previous governments played a role in that when dismantling our ability to actually make them.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

True, but you can't deny the US has vaccinated faster even though they've done pretty much everything else worse.  But previous governments played a role in that when dismantling our ability to actually make them.

almost like they produce vaccine and prioritize theor own citizens.  No one ever said Canada was going to be high on the list, in fact they said we'd be waiting quite awhile to get the rollout.......rolling out.  Truly, they've managed toprocure more vaccine earlier than anticipated and will have first shots in arms much earlier than they expected.

I'm honestly not sure what people expected to happen?  That some vaccine fairy was going to propel Canada into the upper echelon of countries?

• Vintage 2

This new variant is nothing to fool with. Hopefully people will wake up and take it seriously. Look how fast this went through the entire team and their families. Why are we still allowing travel to Brazil. There should be 0 none essential travel allowed.

This third wave could be the worst yet.

Take care of yourselves people.

• Cheers 1

This is the situation I have been dreading since pro sports leagues, beginning with MLB, decided to gamble the health of their players in order to salvage some portion of lost revenues. The past year+ has been all about what is essential: depending on where you live, 

• travel--no
  • hugging your relatives--no
  • hair cuts--no
  • pet grooming salons--yes, apparently
  • big-box stores selling consumer goods--sure
  • dollar stores--whatever
  • small local businesses--no
  • Amazon--you bet

Sports were never essential. That's why kids aren't playing. All of our local hockey arenas are closed except for the one with the big corporate logo that hosts professional games. The argument that "we're just trying to provide a distraction in these grim times" is disingenuous: it was about losing less money, regardless of the potential human cost. Those potential human costs are now becoming very real.  

1 minute ago, gizmo2337 said:

Bingo!

And a year later, not a single lesson had been learned by any politician - especially Canadian.  Closing ALL the travel across border was the only way to protect people. The lax regulations and cherry picking is practically the same as just leaving the border open. You had to go all in, or not at all. And it definitely works - see New Zealand and Australia.

When your Prime Minister is getting bullied by other countries it does not help

• Cheers 1

14 minutes ago, Devron44 said:

Why they left boarders and international flights allowed is beyond me. Canada is beautiful, nothing wrong with staying here until this is all sorted whether it’s a year or 2 whatever.

Because it's Canada....don't hurt or offend anyone even if the everyday Joe who stays quiet and pays taxes is at risk.

Nice guys finish last....

Edited by Chris12345
  • Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Sadly might have been at the practice. :(

I don't think it matters at this point as it changes nothing.  All we can do is take away the message of how quickly this thing flies through a group of people.

The close proximity of a hockey environment allows for quick spreading.

"They're in close contact, they're sitting beside each other on the bench, they're in contact in scrimmage, they're training together," said Chagla. "They're so many different high risk encounters."

At one point in February, of the 35 games the NHL had postponed due to COVID, none had involved Canadian teams.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/nhl/nhl-canadian-teams-covid-1.5974998

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, apollo said:

Gonna leave this here for all those going through a tough time right now and having anxiety. I wish you all well. So does the captain. This is 20 minutes ago... 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CNQD6V_h8xi

The sky is not falling. Stay safe and stay CALM 

Covid is not a joke. I'm not downplaying it but all people are doing is revving up anxiety and spreading toxic energy. 

Our boys have the best care on the planet. 10x better than the care us regular people got when we get diagnosed. They will be back at %100 before we know it. 

All you should do is send your positive thoughts their way. If you want to consume your time with this nonsense maybe see what you can do to support someone in your life with their mental well-being during these hard times. 

I feel that your intention is good but, honestly, we all need to be pretty serious about the state of things in our city right now.

They get 10x better care but we don't.  They "may be" back at 100%...we don't know.  We can't downplay this and it is doing a bit of that.

It's not really nonsense that's consuming us...it's a variant strain of a potentially serious virus that's been unleashed in the lower mainland.  I feel like the message shouldn't be "Hakuna Matata" but "be very vigilant right now".

Well intended.  The sky is not falling but a sense of concern as the numbers shift is likely better than ignoring them.  Cheers.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1