The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

13 minutes ago, mll said:

The Covid protocol list of 3 April posted in the around the NHL thread had 14 players yesterday.  They don’t count or disclose taxi squad players on that list.

Yeah, I was more alluding to the comprehensive list, different from the COVID Protocol list.

Just now, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Yeah, I was more alluding to the comprehensive list, different from the COVID Protocol list.

That’s what I figured but not sure if Dreger was counting taxi squad players in his 18.  

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

They're so strict in the hospital.  Dr's and nurses changing their PPE couple dozen times a day MAYBE MORE 

This statement is not true at all, maybe if your lucky to work in some big city hospitals but as someone who dates a nurse....my GF has been shorted PPE for almost the length of the pandemic, 1 mask all day that is it. Hopsitals allow visitors just not to covid patients obviously, we have been in the hospital when her dad was very ill and we thought he was going to die.

The media masks the PPE issue health care workers have been dealing with, they also lie about being fully staffed where they have been using unqualified staff to work certain departments when there was no one available to pick up other shifts.

Don't have to take my word for it, but seeing the stress my GF and her friends have been under for 12 months and counting now it is sad...that extra little bit of pay they offered was also a joke...just slap that lump sum on a full pay cheque so the outcome is LESS $$$ than when you work your normal hours...instead of just implementing a raise per hour for X period of time or for the duration of this pandemic.

There is no right way to do this but we have failed as a country and now 1 year into it with vaccines being given we are now seeing the worst of it...

2 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

This statement is not true at all, maybe if your lucky to work in some big city hospitals but as someone who dates a nurse....my GF has been shorted PPE for almost the length of the pandemic, 1 mask all day that is it. Hopsitals allow visitors just not to covid patients obviously, we have been in the hospital when her dad was very ill and we thought he was going to die.

The media masks the PPE issue health care workers have been dealing with, they also lie about being fully staffed where they have been using unqualified staff to work certain departments when there was no one available to pick up other shifts.

Don't have to take my word for it, but seeing the stress my GF and her friends have been under for 12 months and counting now it is sad...that extra little bit of pay they offered was also a joke...just slap that lump sum on a full pay cheque so the outcome is LESS $$$ than when you work your normal hours...instead of just implementing a raise per hour for X period of time or for the duration of this pandemic.

There is no right way to do this but we have failed as a country and now 1 year into it with vaccines being given we are now seeing the worst of it...

I just spent time in Abby hospital, and i watched closely, the nurses and doctors changed every time they saw a different patient. maybe not the masks  so much , but they were using more than one a day. heck even i had sometimes two or three masks,  cause if they fell on the floor , you did not pick them up and reuse them

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Petey_BOI said:

that last sentence by dregs, pretty much proves he was a "The Office" fan

why say many words when few words do trick

i don't buy what Kuzma is saying. he has been a goof during media talks

First and foremost, I hope all our guys get 100% better - for the health of themselves, and their families.

Crazy how it ripped through the team like this - though I am actually somewhat surprised we haven't seen more throughout the league. My wife and I got a mild case of the original strain, but especially with this Brazil variant it can really cause havoc on the bodies of perfectly healthy people... even athletes. I honestly don't think that whenever play resumes that our guys will be anywhere near 100% physically... let alone sharp on the ice from lack of practice or playing time.

This won't be a popular opinion. As much as I love watching our team play and was excited about the slim possibility of our making the playoffs, I think this season is now essentially a write-off. What's the point in playing when I'm sure we're going to get destroyed for at least the first 2-3 weeks back. And forcing our guys out there when they are not 100% is a recipe for further physical injury. I think the league should allow the players and their families to focus on recovery, and allow us to finish based on point %.

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, lmm said:

for those screaming about Dr Bonnie making mistakes

I think she has made some errors

but lets look at her work load in a Canuck time line

Last year the season got shut down

And Dr Bonnie worked

the season restarted

And Dr Bonnie worked

the offseason happened when Jim ran out of time

While Dr Bonnie worked

the new season started after some negotiation with Dr Bonnie and friends

Dr Bonnie worked on that too

Thatcher D gets the second of back to backs off while Holey the Goalie plays the odd game

But Dr Bonnie works

She takes her mask off for a sip of coffee and gets roasted by not real media

then Dr Bonnie goes back to work

think how hard it is to concentrate while completing a 10 or 12 or 15 day shift

then realize Dr Bonnie has been on for duty for the last year

Thank you Dr Bonnie for all of your work

We could have had Perry Kendall still as the Chief Public Health Officer.  

1 hour ago, higgyfan said:

It's not a coincidence that USA and UK are way ahead of other countries with their vaccine rollout.  Other countries, like Canada, have had delays and shortages in the past couple of months.

I actually am quite happy with how we're doing here in BC.  Our elders and most compromised residents will have received their vaccines by the end of April and everyone else will have had a shot by Canada Day.  By late April, the shipment of Johnson and Johnson vaccine (single dose required) will arrive in Canada, so the timetable may move up.

Of course, we are still not out of the woods with the variants coming along.  Hopefully the vaccines will help prevent people from getting seriously ill from the variant(s).  I see that Phiser is already working on a booster, so I reckon that is a peek at our future.

The variants are spreading faster than the original ever did.  Its going to be a long 3 years before we can even talk about being out of the woods.

3 minutes ago, SNuck said:

From what I've been seeing, I think this is now the popular opinion. We're close enough to the end of the season and obviously out of the playoffs, so why not cut it short and let our guys heal up. I'm not really interested in seeing a skeleton squad play with AHL'ers, or rushing anyone who's been sick back into the lineup. There are serious long-term effects related to Covid, and a lot of unknowns with the new variant. 

If there's ever been a time to cancel some games, and prioritize the health of players, this is it. 

My hope is the NHLPLA feels the same way and puts some serious pressure on the league to figure this out.  Twenty  regular season games are not worth jeopardizing the career of a McDavid or Ovechkin.