The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

37 minutes ago, debluvscanucks said:

Not sure how updated this is but TSN reporting 22 total team members now.  And speculating that they'll likely finish the season somehow (not sure how, but....)

you're suiting up Deb....we need an enforcer...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Daniel Combs, UBC Epidemiologist just now (summary):

(Where are we heading as a Province over the next month in this?):  He said he hates to be an alarmist, but "pretty bad"   That stricter restrictions and people taking them seriously is the way to break the chain of transmission (two ways to do that:  "vaccinations and human behaviour").

He said that the NHL protocol has been good - "do you start testing people twice a day?"

He questioned how protocol could be changed/updated further and said the only weakness he sees is players living at home.  So it seems, at least right now, the only extra steps they could take would be a bubble situation and not living at home.  

9 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Seems the initial reports were extremely exaggerated.

We don't know that.

Or, perhaps, they decided to keep it more private so they'd not be bombarded with requests for updates in order to focus on the business at hand.

This team is one to do that....keep their cards close to their chests.  Maybe someone got word, leaked it but they didn't really want to explain what they don't quite know yet.

I might have to go back out to my sunny world of birds and trees today.   I apologize for multiple posts in a row...I want everyone to be safe and not downplay this thing.  It isn't "that bad" except it could become so for anyone at this stage in the new surge.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

It is more infectious and affects younger people but there is no evidence it’s more severe 

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-five-things-to-know-about-the-brazilian-p-1-variant-spreading-in-b-c/ar-BB1fiM7B?ocid=msedgntp

" and it causes a 10-80 per cent increase in mortality, Otto said."

https://netherlandsnewslive.com/alarming-situation-brazilian-virus-variant-three-times-more-deadly-for-people-in-their-twenties/122476/

"In Brazil, the risk of death from the new variant in people in their thirties, forties and fifties is about twice as high as with the ‘classic’ virus, the scientists calculate in a pre-publication just online. In people in their twenties, the mortality is even three times as high. Those are still low odds, by the way: in Brazil, the risk of death in a Covid patient in their twenties increases from 1 in 2,500 to about 1 in 770."

https://www.italy24news.com/technology/5823.html

"

The study highlights that in all age groups the P.1 variant seems to be associated with higher mortality due to Covid-19.

The increase in the rate of deaths appear particularly evident (up to 3 times) in patients aged between 20 and 29 years. This confirms some preliminary observations, according to which the variant P.1 could not only be more contagious, but also more virulent and pathogenic."

11 minutes ago, 4petesake said:

There are already severe shortages of oxygen in many hospitals in Brazil. Some patients are simply suffocating with too many for staff to ventilate by hand. 

It could never happen here, right? Right?!!

But..but...it's just the flu. :picard:

• Cheers 2

On 4/3/2021 at 9:01 AM, Googlie said:

In all fairness Lalji references - and quotes - Dregers tweet and his own interpretation "some Canucks players have become very ill". Then he goes on to say "I'm also being told ...." re the IV home visits.  He doesn't say Dreger is the source for that statement. 

As to "Overdramatization", all that I have read suggests that the Brazil strain is more seriously debilitating, more easily transmissible, and for some groups, more lethal.

See: 

https://www.webmd.com/lung/news/20210324/variants-of-variants-seen-in-covid-ravaged-brazil

It feels like Farhan's tweet was overdramatization.  Really disappointing to see.  

I realize that the Brazil strain (I'm sure they're thrilled about the name) is more potent, but you have to consider the demographic that we are talking about here and how healthy they are.  Besides that it's just not cool to put out information out there that's made to sound vague but in fact start propagating false news.  

44 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Where upon I say, when's the last time you heard of the flu knocking out sensory inputs (taste)? Or damaging your lungs that it punches holes in it? And leaving other long term damage to recover from. Drowning in your own lung tissue is something I wouldn't wish on anyone. 

"Patients who survive influenza A (H7N9) virus infection are at risk of physical and psychological complications of lung injury and multi-organ dysfunction." 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-17497-6 

Regular flu can have long term effects as well.  

4 minutes ago, VancouverHabitant said:

It feels like Farhan's tweet was overdramatization.  Really disappointing to see.  

I realize that the Brazil strain (I'm sure they're thrilled about the name) is more potent, but you have to consider the demographic that we are talking about here and how healthy they are.  Besides that it's just not cool to put out information out there that's made to sound vague but in fact start propagating false news.  

Ontario ICU's are filling up with young people

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/variants-are-driving-rise-in-younger-sicker-patients-needing-specialized-care-to-receive-oxygen-doctors-1.5370787

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1