The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GetWellThread] Vancouver Canucks vs. Edmonton Oilers | April 16 | 6 p.m. | SNP

Rate this topic

-SN-

24 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I'm sure everyone agrees that the odds are they will recover, but if you can't understand why fans would be emotional over this, you have to do yourself a favour and move on because you aren't ever going to understand it.
Yes, it's doubtful any of them will lose their lives. But if you can't be concerned for a team full of boys we watch grow up on the Canucks go down with this illness even with the possibility of death removed, I can't help ya.
Sure, it sounds like many of them are already turning the corner, but we will never know the impact it had on their families, their loved ones, their friends/groups/communities outside of the Canucks. And if that doesn't give you any pause for concern, I can't help ya.

I know millions of people have had covid, but I see this similar to when Tom Hanks was announced positive last year. Most of us didn't know of anyone who was sick personally, but when we can put a face to the disease, it's an eye opener for a lot of people.

So, here we are with ~20 Canucks players/staff. 20 faces we know. 20 voices we know. 20 people who have access to high end facilities and testing and still brings an entire team to its knees. To hear that it can get these guys, most of who are in peak condition, laid out and it still doesn't give you any inward reflection, then I can't help ya. Some of us are wired differently and it's probably best to move on.

Back in September my work went through a COVID outbreak, 8 people got it, currently they’re going through another, 12 have caught it so far with the last person to get it still in quarantine for another 3 days so yah, I can put a face to it.

2 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Back in September my work went through a COVID outbreak, 8 people got it, currently they’re going through another, 12 have caught it so far with the last person to get it still in quarantine for another 3 days so yah, I can put a face to it.

Heh you were told to 'move on', for this is a pure hyperbole zone bro.

2 hours ago, xereau said:

Flu's have gone thru entire teams before, this is being massively blown out of proportion.

Considering it's the P.1 variant from Brazil that is spreading through the Canucks org, no, actually, it is not being blown out of proportion at all.

If you look at the studies done in Brazil about this particular variant, the fatality rate for the 20-39 age group is nearly triple, and we've only begun to document and understand its long-lasting effects.  The virulence and fatality rate of this particular variant is incredibly high.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

3 minutes ago, EmilyM said:

I just don't know what you hope to accomplish in this thread.
There are a number of other active threads in this forum discussing UFAs, Ian Clarke's future, etc.
I listen to 650, watched Donnie & Dahli, Sportsnet, and TSN. All of them mentioned concern for the Canucks players but all of them also discussed playoff implications and theories on how the NHL could/should proceed with the season.
I don't think you are suggesting the Canucks should just play while they are positive (if so, we aren't just wired differently, we are different species). So, what coverage/content are you lacking right now? What else can be discussed about the Canucks that isn't already being discussed on top of the messages of concern?

The only thing bothering you (or worse, getting enjoyment out of) seems to be that other people are concerned about the Canucks. Otherwise you wouldn't continue returning to a thread titled "GetWellThread" and wondering why everyone is wishing the Canucks get well.

Go back through the thread and see how many posts like the one below there are, that’s what I was responding to, but yeah, thanks for telling me how I feel.

787395C8-A7BC-4428-8F1A-7177AC9B9F54.jpeg

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Go back through the thread and see how many posts like the one below there are, that’s what I was responding to, but yeah, thanks for telling me how I feel.

Man I can't believe the flack you're getting for stating the facts that most likely everyone recovers and is playing in a couple weeks. It seems like they are very desperate for one or more Canucks to have serious complications so they can say see how bad Covid is. We all told you.

Some of the posts like the one you referenced are just being deliberately ridiculous.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 2

A lot of people in here thinking this will just blow over in a couple weeks don't seem to realize this is not the original variant, this is the far more virulent and deadly P.1 variant from Brazil.

They are entirely not the same thing.  The data is quite, quite, different.  I'm not saying that the sky is falling, but it's quite naive to think that in two weeks the Canucks will all be just fine and playing again as if this never happened.  It's possible that MIGHT happen, but the chances that it doesn't happen are just as high.

Considering the fatality rate of people aged 20-39 for this particular variant of Covid-19, the concern is valid.

Edited by Jai604
  • Cheers 1

4 minutes ago, Jai604 said:

A lot of people in here thinking this will just blow over in a couple weeks don't seem to realize this is not the original variant, this is the far more virulent and deadly P.1 variant from Brazil.

They are entirely not the same thing.  The data is quite, quite, different.  I'm not saying that the sky is falling, but it's quite naive to think that in two weeks the Canucks will all be just fine and playing again as if this never happened.  It's possible that MIGHT happen, but the chances that it doesn't happen are just as high.

Considering the fatality rate of people aged 20-39 for this particular variant of Covid-19, the concern is valid.

wont be surprised if they just call it a season.

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 2

9 minutes ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Look past the emotional hyperbole and read into why the person may have posted that.
"Half the team will be weakened for a long, long time"
Well, right now more than half the team is weakened. Compound any possible lingering symptoms with the extended time off and, as a stat-lover like yourself, you'd probably agree that the chance that every player returns at 100% capacity is low. Some guys are going to be off.
"This season is a full write-off"
Many in the community were calling this season a write-off prior to covid hitting the team. So is it outside of the realm of possibility to suggest that the team not returning at 100% is a death sentence for a season that was already in peril to begin with?

People are going to exaggerate when they're emotional. Give this thread a break for a few days and let people vent their emotions. There are other threads and other channels for discussion all things Canucks outside of covid implications.

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1

24 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

COL vs MIN game just started. 

Should be a very good game if anyone interested in watching some good hockey..

I watched the first half of EDM MTL game but switched over to AVS few mins ago..

If habs keep losing, there is a chance nux can catch them. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Gawdzukes said:

Man I can't believe the flack you're getting for stating the facts that most likely everyone recovers and is playing in a couple weeks. It seems like they are very desperate for one or more Canucks to have serious complications so they can say see how bad Covid is. We all told you.

Some of the posts like the one you referenced are just being deliberately ridiculous.

He's getting flack because he's clearly trolling, as he always does.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Dumb Nuck said:

Imagine if any of them are reading this thread and all the doom and gloom that’s being posted sure wouldn’t make them feel better.

...and you think placing expectations for them to go out there and perform in 2 weeks like nothing happened is going to make them feel better? 

Sir, you are gravely underestimating how detrimental this can be to the body. Yes, I feel it is probably likely they will all fully recover over time. (Hopefully). But to expand on what another poster said, ANY reduction in capacity - lung or otherwise - essentially keeps an NHL player from performing like one. 

About 18 years ago (dating myself here) I caught a horrible flu around Christmas. I literally could not stand up and couldn't keep any food down for a week. I lost almost 15 pounds over two weeks, and didn't feel myself for at least a month after I recovered. Now you can say... these are athletes... they are in amazing shape. They'll recover quicker. And maybe that's true... I don't know... but the basic principle still applies. Especially for a virus which, by all accounts, is significantly worse than the flu. Even covidiots tend to agree with that.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jai604 said:

.9% fatality rate in Brazil, where it's gone up 3 times recently ... that's bad for sure, these guys will get the best care in the world.    Not denegrating it, just noticed a lot of back and forth but not actual stats being used, and where these stats are coming from.   

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

.9% fatality rate in Brazil, where it's gone up 3 times recently ... that's bad for sure, these guys will get the best care in the world.    Not denegrating it, just noticed a lot of back and forth but not actual stats being used, and where these stats are coming from.   

What kind of preventative measures are they taking in Brazil though right now?  Has their President changed his tune on COVID?  Now I'm not talking about their afluent citizens but the normal plebs.  I don't know & thus my question.

Edited by NewbieCanuckFan
  • Cheers 1