The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Author of Captain Underpants Pulls (Racist) Book

-DLC-

2 minutes ago, drummer4now said:

When I was in elementary school I always used to find his book to be odd and unassuming.. 

Honestly, I don't really get it, but I have multiple copies of all his books and they're barely ever on the shelves. They go out as fast as they come in

• Cheers 1

this has me wondering now.... what about every movie that depicts martial arts usage, are those now racist too? like the matrix for example, when neo who is played by a white actor brags that he now knows kung fu and fights morpheus who is played by a black actor using his newly aquired skills. would that also count as a depiction of a hate crime?

• Cheers 1

40 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

As an ethnic Asian.... I really don't give a damn.  

Most Canadians aren’t offended by stereotypical Canadian jokes that we see in media/entertainment, in fact we seem to appreciate being noticed. Still, I can’t speak to what others find offensive. Generally I think that if it’s offensive to the people that it’s speaking about then it is offensive. 

Can anyone explain it to me? I haven't read the book(s).

Is it the Gung Fu angle? which is very cultural, so many different styles that some are so unique that they are specific to one family.

Is it the traditional garb?

My thought is that it is the depiction of narrow eyes?

Edited by bishopshodan

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Most Canadians aren’t offended by stereotypical Canadian jokes that we see in media/entertainment, in fact we seem to appreciate being noticed. Still, I can’t speak to what others find offensive. Generally I think that if it’s offensive to the people that it’s speaking about then it is offensive. 

The problem is that many seems to take any slightest offense as some sort of personal insult that can only repaid in blood.  

It's like the "I don't give a ####!" is a lost art or something.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 3

2 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

this has me wondering now.... what about every movie that depicts martial arts usage, are those now racist too? like the matrix for example, when neo who is played by a white actor brags that he now knows kung fu and fights morpheus who is played by a black actor using his newly aquired skills. would that also count as a depiction of a hate crime?

Cancel culture tried that $&!# years ago with the Great Wall movie and Matt Damon. The joke was on those assholes though considering the director and producers were Asian. But don't get too excited - they're far from done.

32 minutes ago, Tortorella's Rant said:

Cancel culture tried that $&!# years ago with the Great Wall movie and Matt Damon. The joke was on those assholes though considering the director and producers were Asian. But don't get too excited - they're far from done.

So Shang-Chi and the Ten Rings is going to get cancelled?

Feel sad for Simu Liu... :sadno:

/s

10 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

More cultural appropriation than anything

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Nucksfollower1983 said:

are you angry about change? or is this a serious question? if the answer is yes, to either of those questions, I can't help you. arguing with ignorant people, is a fruitless past-time.

if you answered yes, and my response Saddened you instead of pissing you off, there's hope for you. But you have to do the work yourself, but i will help you.

It seems you don't understand what racism is, or you are racial prejudiced, or potentially both.

Physical Objects, cultural teachings, or religions cannot be racist by themselves, only humans can affect that. this matrix scene does not imply any racial stereotyping, discrimination or even racial violence.

You need to understand there are 5 levels of racism.

Racial violence is The use of violence as a method of control and domination of those who are deemed to be inferior and powerless based on the superiority of one race over another. 

Racism is the belief that groups of humans possess different behavioral traits corresponding to physical appearance and can be divided based on the superiority of one race over another. 

Racial discrimination: is any discrimination against any individual on the basis of their skin color, or racial or ethnic origin.

Racial Prejudice is an unreasonable dislike of a particular group of people on the basis of their skin color, or racial or ethnic origin. or a preference for one group of people on the basis of their skin color, or racial or ethnic origin, over another.

Racial stereotypes or ethnic stereotypes are a representation of a group of a certain ethnicity or race in a generalized manner, portraying all members to display certain typical characteristics. Stereotypes are more often than not considered negative, though there do exist positive stereotypes.

every minority in canada will feel the effects of racism, which often times ends up manifesting itself into forms of mental illnesses for the people affected.

the most common mental Illnesses that increase along with more traumatic events are Anxiety,Depression,PTSD, and Bi-polar, all of these mental illnesses lead to increased chance for becoming a addict. Becoming a drug addict or someone  who suffers from PTSD or Bi-Polar increases the chances of comitting crime's.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

8 hours ago, John_Guest said:

The only thing the guy did wrong was apologize. Never apologize to cancel cretins.

I agree with you pulling the book from the shelves was the correct thing to do. 

Bullying is not ok and thats what racial stereotyping is. Its the gateway to racial viloence, every act of racial stereotyping encourages more stereotyping and more serious hate. 

and you got it wrong, he didn't apologize to cancel cretins. He apologized to the asian community

13 hours ago, 4petesake said:

and if you wouldn't tell the joke infront of a member of the group this pokes fun of, it's offensive. I don't know how many times i have heard "jokes" that end with "a good start" or "on a stick" told by bigots that don't give a damn.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Petey_BOI said:

I agree with you pulling the book from the shelves was the correct thing to do. 

Bullying is not ok and thats what racial stereotyping is. Its the gateway to racial viloence, every act of racial stereotyping encourages more stereotyping and more serious hate. 

and you got it wrong, he didn't apologize to cancel cretins. He apologized to the asian community

IMO, I think Asians usually don't care about such frivolous gestures.  

Ever noticed that Asians are rarely in the forefront of cancel culture, or those anti-whatever movements?

Many Asians (especially our parents, grandparents, etc) has suffered through experiences way worst than anything most Canadian or American has gone through.  A statistically insignificant amount of police brutality and some form of bigotry against minorities in US and Canada?  Please.... that's nothing compared to total warfare where cities are completely annihilated, starvation/famine to a point where you see people dropping dead or forced to eat rodents for survival, warfare in hellish conditions, subjected to state policing or other paramilitary organizations or mass surveillance which makes the worst American police seems like boy scouts.  

Among my circle and peers.... anytime the topic of cancel culture, faux outrage, or whatever supposed micro-aggression/racism or whatever.... we just roll our eyes and wonder what is this world coming to.  

It just seems to me that some ethnic/cultural groups are more concerned about living their own lives to the fullest rather than trying to police others on how to life their lives.  

• Cheers 2

36 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Ever noticed that Asians are rarely in the forefront of cancel culture, or those anti-whatever movements?

Many Asians (especially our parents, grandparents, etc) has suffered through experiences way worst than anything most Canadian or American has gone through.  A statistically insignificant amount of police brutality and some form of bigotry against minorities in US and Canada?  Please.... that's nothing compared to total warfare where cities are completely annihilated, starvation/famine to a point where you see people dropping dead or forced to eat rodents for survival, warfare in hellish conditions, subjected to state policing or other paramilitary organizations or mass surveillance which makes the worst American police seems like boy scouts.  

Among my circle and peers.... anytime the topic of cancel culture, faux outrage, or whatever supposed micro-aggression/racism or whatever.... we just roll our eyes and wonder what is this world coming to.  

It just seems to me that some ethnic/cultural groups are more concerned about living their own lives to the fullest rather than trying to police others on how to life their lives.  

They mostly don't based on the commentary I've seen. This is typically true in most cancel culture scenarios. It's whitey trying to write an imaginary wrong and we've already seen it here in this thread with people defending the action the author took. 

• Cheers 1

39 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Your peers sound like smart people.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Lancaster said:

Racism has lead to many genocides and slavery in north american history. It would be a mistake to de-value it's importance in today's society.

I live in the most ethnic diverse community in edmonton, and I have had some meaningful  conversations with people who were affected by racism. Thier stories affect me, and i cannot ignore that. historically, protests and demonstrations bring change, and if I can help make someone feel less undeserved hatred towards them, I will. joining in others people causes brings purpose to my life, and to me bettering someone else's life is a noble cause and should not be shunned.

if you believe ignorace is the cure to racism by the effected parties, maybe your right, but thier is no proof of that.

as for this "total warfare where cities are completely annihilated, starvation/famine to a point where you see people dropping dead or forced to eat rodents for survival, warfare in hellish conditions, subjected to state policing or other paramilitary organizations or mass surveillance" I have little chance to make a significant change in these people's lives. and from what I understand living conditions and famine is improving across the world. Canada govt is doing it's part to help, but i see the only way i  can make any change is by donations. 

• Cheers 1