The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Myers to Florida

23 minutes ago, NewbieCanuckFan said:

To be honest, I'd prefer to keep Myers.  I realize we should be "sellers" but want to avoid an Oilers situation where there aren't any decent vets to surround our developing players.

I'm actually on the retain Myers wagon ngl, my discussion in this thread revolved around our somehow getting another 1st. But yeah, that's unlikely given the players we've got to work with.

I like Myers, some folks dump on him but he brings an important mix of toughness, size, offensive ability, and veteran experience. He's willing to be physical around the net, and he's willing to mix things up if he feels the other team is getting a bit handsy. He's also better defensively than he gets credit for imo. Only other player we have who brings a similar mixed bag is Edler, and he's in his twilight years. 

Myers also deserves to have fewer penalty minutes than he's got imo, he tends to get the "big man not allowed to be physical with smaller man" treatment from the refs. 

Edited by Coconuts
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Coconuts said:

Or maybe just Myers and a 2nd for Stralman and a 1st if the cap works? Gives us cap flex and a 1st while Florida gets a younger upgrade on their RD and moves a player they aren't even utilizing. 

Hell, maybe make that Myers and a 2nd for Stralman, a 1st, and a 3rd or 4th if we're operating under the context of Myers holding value as a top 4RD to a team who just lost their #1RD. 

it has to be a 1st back imo, otherwise its not worth it. We don't need to do this deal. 

• Cheers 2

Florida are very much into analytics with Zito even adding to the team.  More and more teams look to be.  Drance and Dayal looking into numbers show quite some concern over Myers’ defensive game in their 26 March article.  Feels unlikely that Florida would have interest.

Would guess that Zito will look to bring in a D on an expiring contract.  He’s even got options in the division and could avoid quarantine by doing a bubble to bubble transfer.

47 minutes ago, mll said:

Would guess that Zito will look to bring in a D on an expiring contract.  He’s even got options in the division and could avoid quarantine by doing a bubble to bubble transfer.

Agreed, maybe they'll just pick up David Savard from Columbus -- big top 4 RHD from a divisional rival that's faltering, and also a pending UFA.

Myers would cost too much when Ekblad comes back.

• Cheers 1

This is Aaron frickin Ekblad they are replacing...........not Anton Stralman

Anton Stralman is on the Taxi squad, what does that mean to you, to me it means Fringe

So what I mean by that is that it has to be a solid Dman coming into help, not friggin Anton Stralman!

I think Provost is on to something, but I don't think Myers is the guy.

We picked up Schmidt for a 3rd, and his value is much more.......................

Schmidt is 29 and not much younger than Myers, so I would offer him up

Maybe I start with Myers, but I dangle Schmidt, when they say no

My thought, is around this.............................

1.  Myers, Roussel and 2023 2nd  for Anton Stralman (1 Million retained) + 2021 1st

2.  Schmidt and Roussel for 2021 1st

So, here is why I think this. first off , Florida has to look at this as a important moment, where they actually have a chance. Without Ekblad, no where near as good of a chance.

How much do they want it....IMO, bad! So they will have to pay, regardless of who they get, and the higher or closer they get to an Ekblad the more it will cost. Now, unless I am missing something, they will have plenty of cap, this year and next. I would also go as far as to say, if they want a Ekblad replacement, then it is their problem how to correct any future Cap problems..........

Either one of these are ok to me, and I applaud Provost for recognizing this opportunity.

Edited by janisahockeynut
  • Upvote 1

....or...spit-balling on Janis' idea we help them to go all in this season because Hornqvist is also out on IR, they don't want to trade us their D depth, and they are playing some little known guys in there bottom 6:

To VAN: Ekblad

To FLA: Schmidt, Sutter 50%, Pearson 50%, Benn

Panthers get to keep Schmidt long term (his contract is same length as Ekblad's).

23 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

This is Aaron frickin Ekblad they are replacing...........not Anton Stralman

Anton Stralman is on the Taxi squad, what does mean to you, to me it means Fringe

So what I mean by that is that it has to be a solid Dman coming into help, not friggin Anton Stralman!

I think Provost is on to something, but I don't think Myers is the guy.

We picked up Schmidt for a 3rd, and his value is much more.......................

Schmidt is 29 and not much younger than Myers, so I would offer him up

Maybe I start with Myers, but I dangle Schmidt, when they say no

My thought, is around this.............................

1.  Myers, Roussel and 2023 2nd  for Anton Stralman (1 Million retained) + 2021 1st

2.  Schmidt and Roussel for 2021 1st

So, here is why I think this. first off , Florida has to look at this as a important moment, where they actually have a chance. Without Ekblad, no where near as good of a chance.

How much do they want it....IMO, bad! So they will have to pay, regardless of who they get, and the higher or closer they get to an Ekblad the more it will cost. Now, unless I am missing something, they will have plenty of cap, this year and next. I would also go as far as to say, if they want a Ekblad replacement, then it is their problem how to correct any future Cap problems..........

Either one of these are ok to me, and I applaud Provost for recognizing this opportunity.

Those are also reasonable deals.  They don’t have a ton of cap space next year... but enough to absorb those players if Stralman comes the other way.

My issue would be that Schmidt is a bigger loss to me than Myers... is it worth losing that cap/club controlled player for a late 1st and a little cap relief in Roussel?  Maybe... I would really have to sit with that and think about all the downstream impacts.

It means we probably have the space to extend Edler for a couple of years if Schmidt isn’t taking up a top 4 spot.  If you remove Roussel’s salary and maybe even factor in a Holtby buyout, we suddenly have reduced a drastic cap crunch.

A defence would probably look like:

Hughes-Tryamkin/Hamonic 

Eder-Stralman

Juolevi-Myers 

X (depth guy picked up in expansion)

Rathbone (probably in minors but getting injury call up time)

I completely trust an Edler-Stralman veteran pairing when things need to be settled down and they probably end up playing the most minutes.  

Tryamkin probably isn’t ready for a top 4 role, but if Hughes plays less 5v5 and gets a lot of minutes on the PP, that means Tryamkin is really only getting 16-18 minutes a game (not used on the PP) while Hughes is getting 20-22.  Maybe it is Hamonic in that spot initially... but I would rather see a younger player.  Does Tryamkin sign here to be a 7th D?

Juolevi and Myers were improving as a pairing before Juolevi was yanked from the lineup.

That 1st round pick maybe can be flipped to get rid of Eriksson and our cap troubles mostly evaporate.

The puzzle works, but I think it works better with Schmidt who can play both sides.

Edited by Provost
  • Cheers 1

Just now, BigTramFan said:

....or...spit-balling on Janis' idea we help them to go all in this season because Hornqvist is also out on IR, they don't want to trade us their D depth, and they are playing some little known guys in there bottom 6:

Panthers get to keep Schmidt long term (his contract is same length as Ekblad's).

How many first round picks are we adding to that deal?  
We are talking a likely regular Norris finalist who was playing 25 minutes a night in Ekblad.

I don’t see them moving Ekblad at all.  They are not going all in for one season at the expense of contending for a few more.

3 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Florida laughs and hangs up 

13 minutes ago, Provost said:

How many first round picks are we adding to that deal?  
We are talking a likely regular Norris finalist who was playing 25 minutes a night in Ekblad.

I don’t see them moving Ekblad at all.  They are not going all in for one season at the expense of contending for a few more.

Then I would add. There won't be another opportunity to get Ekblad - who is the missing piece of our core. Not interested in getting Stralman and a crappy pick for Schmidt.

Edited by BigTramFan

21 minutes ago, BigTramFan said:

Then I would add. There won't be another opportunity to get Ekblad - who is the missing piece of our core. Not interested in getting Stralman and a crappy pick for Schmidt.

Which opportunity to get Ekblad - he’s not on the market.

• Upvote 2

They'll certainly be open for business. Myers has been decent for us but I'd look at moving Schmidt, he hasn't been quite the same fit here and maybe is better suited for the East?

The Canucks desperately need centers, not just now but in the future, especially if we let Sutter go and when Beagle runs out of gas. They have a bunch of centers, some very young ones who are probably the current equivalent of a high-2nd round pick (Heponiemi, Lammikko and Luostarinen) but then also have Verhaeghe and Wennberg who are big parts of their current team.

Verhaeghe or Wennberg would be lovely, slot right in and score more points than Sutter ever did but I think Verhaeghe might be a bit untouchable this season. The 3 Finnish kids have some decent potential but all look more like scoring centers rather than shutdown guys.

I'd do a 1-for-1 swap for any of the above centers and maybe Florida throw in a late pick as well for Schmidt. 

11 hours ago, Phil_314 said:

Agreed, maybe they'll just pick up David Savard from Columbus -- big top 4 RHD from a divisional rival that's faltering, and also a pending UFA.

This is the most likely move to happen, pending UFA RHD and Zito is very familiar with him and the team obviously...