The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Shayne Gostisbehere, Nick Holden, Liam O’Brien

35 minutes ago, Canuckster86 said:

Fair point for sure, they could then trade M. Staal to a contender for whatever they can get and get a replacement player who should help bring more offense from the back end. Could also move him in a year or 2 with retention to get value back on him if he turned his game around

I don't think Staal holds much value at this point tbh. He's had a rough go with injuries, and was basically dumped on Detroit to clear his cap if I remember correctly. Someone might take him as a depth piece if Detroit were to retain cap, but I dunno. 

I don't think this is it for Staal, he's unlikely to win a cup at this point so I imagine he'll try to at least hit 1000 games. He's getting there, currently being at 928. 

• Huggy Bear 1

4 minutes ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Alain Vigneault slander in this thread?  Hate to see it.

Put some respect on the name of one of the greatest NHL coaches in history.

There's a difference between respect and criticizing. You can do both.

Otherwise to criticize the Canucks would be to not respect them by your logic.

• Cheers 3
  • Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, CR7 said:

The Average/Oversized guys under Baummer are no better, so your argument is moot... Until we have a better staff we will continue to concede shots/attempts at a higher rate than we generate

Not really. A defense still needs to be capable of suppressing shots and stopping opposition players from crashing the crease. Size still matters. But yes, as I pointed out, under Baumgartner's tutelage, this team, no matter the personnel on defense, will suffer.

9 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Not really. A defense still needs to be capable of suppressing shots and stopping opposition players from crashing the crease. Size still matters. But yes, as I pointed out, under Baumgartner's tutelage, this team, no matter the personnel on defense, will suffer.

its a real possibility that Green et al are back Phil. So in that context who should we target? probably not another guy suspect in his own end. 

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

its a real possibility that Green et al are back Phil. So in that context who should we target? probably not another guy suspect in his own end. 

If they all return, this team will continue to bleed in their own end. It's a mistake to keep the entire coaching staff. They shouldn't target anyone until that issue is remedied. 

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

If they all return, this team will continue to bleed in their own end. It's a mistake to keep the entire coaching staff. They shouldn't target anyone until that issue is remedied. 

totally agree, just think thats more likely than not. 

1 hour ago, Canuckster86 said:

He has impressive coaching stats for sure, my question is: Was it the right decision to call out his young 22yr old G and make a statement basically blasting his work ethic in practice?

It could turn out to be tough love and the player responds, doesn't always work though...look at Virtanen

Hey I’m not saying he’s a good dude, he could be a complete dick for all I know, I’m just saying his record as an NHL coach is verifiable that he is good at that job.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, canuck2288 said:

Maybe pick up your mic you just dropped and ask yourself how your saviour Green is doing?

under 500 with playoffs out of the question 

But who knows? Maybe we will get another Covid playoff invitation?

Most of us are pushing for Gallant but frankly a cardboard cutout would do a better job than Green

certainly would call an equal amount of timeouts 

How about you judge Green fairly for the year.

Not much a coach can do to help a struggling young team find their team defence when you don't have any practices because you have the most dense schedule in the NHL in a season where everyone's schedule is ridiculously dense. 

I judge the coaching staff on before and after that point. Guess what? The team performed WAY better once Green was actually able to run a practice or two and get to work. Not only could they not practice early, but players weren't allowed to congregate in hotel rooms, making it hard to even go over theory for how he wants the team to play. The team after that point was looking like one of the top teams in the division like we were all hoping, obviously its been derailed again...but its probably Green's fault that Petey, Sutter, Beagle, Pearson are all hurt at the same time.

Has the team performed worse than expected? Sure. Was the team always going to regress from last year even if we brought back last years entire roster? Absolutely. 

If you judge a coach by how many timeouts he calls opposed to how the team changes their performance after time off to work on it...than you are hopeless.

I am truly interested in hearing why you think Green sucks, beyond: timeouts, resting Demko on back to backs, and the team is doing worse than last year because those are nonsensical. 

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Alain Vigneault said:

Alain Vigneault slander in this thread?  Hate to see it.

Put some respect on the name of one of the greatest NHL coaches in history.

Uhm? What exactly gives him the distinction of “one of the greatest NHL coaches in history “? 

He won the Jack Adam’s back in 2007. Other than that he’s won nothing.  He’s a decent coach. But one of the all time greats? Not remotely 

• Cheers 1

Some serious question marks about Gostisbehere's defensive play (not only this season) but it seems quite probable that a team with cap space would pick him up.  He might also be helpful to pick up if a team is OK with losing him in expansion since he might be an enticing pickup by the Kraken.  As someone else pointed out, his cap hit's not great but his actual salary would probably be seen as significant cash savings for some teams.

35 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Uhm? What exactly gives him the distinction of “one of the greatest NHL coaches in history “? 

He won the Jack Adam’s back in 2007. Other than that he’s won nothing.  He’s a decent coach. But one of the all time greats? Not remotely 

He's 8th all time in wins, that's pretty good.  Definitely better than decent 

Edited by Tank Swank
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 2