The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Shayne Gostisbehere, Nick Holden, Liam O’Brien

27 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to wonder if Detroit is going to weaponize their cap space to add picks and prospects. Maybe they’ll be a middleman for a bunch of deadline trades, retaining 50% on any rentals moving between teams, and picking up futures as a “handling fee.” IIRC, they have around 35M of deadline cap space, so they could be pretty active, if they decide to.

Ya, they should be able to see the writing on the wall for an offseason with at least as bad of cap issues as last year.  Taking on a contract for free doesn't sound better than getting assets in return for taking on money.
They can probably harvest some really good young players that can't be protected in expansion anyways in the process.  Could they get Cal Foote if they take on Killorn's contract as an example?
It is still possible Ghost moves, but it may be a retained salary transaction.

38 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Have to wonder if Detroit is going to weaponize their cap space to add picks and prospects. Maybe they’ll be a middleman for a bunch of deadline trades, retaining 50% on any rentals moving between teams, and picking up futures as a “handling fee.” IIRC, they have around 35M of deadline cap space, so they could be pretty active, if they decide to.

With a fixed CAP going forward space will be at a premium. I agree with you that this is what Detroit is doing. That and the ED coming up that could lead to some nice pickups on the cheap. Why would they pick up Gostisbehere when better options will likely come? 

32 minutes ago, Provost said:

Ya, they should be able to see the writing on the wall for an offseason with at least as bad of cap issues as last year.  Taking on a contract for free doesn't sound better than getting assets in return for taking on money.
They can probably harvest some really good young players that can't be protected in expansion anyways in the process.  Could they get Cal Foote if they take on Killorn's contract as an example?
It is still possible Ghost moves, but it may be a retained salary transaction.

21 minutes ago, Boudrias said:

With a fixed CAP going forward space will be at a premium. I agree with you that this is what Detroit is doing. That and the ED coming up that could lead to some nice pickups on the cheap. Why would they pick up Gostisbehere when better options will likely come? 

Yeah, Detroit has the cap space to do some interesting things.

For example, you have to think Brandon Sutter at around $1M would be an attractive piece for many playoff teams.

Canucks retain 50%, send to Detroit, they retain 50%, and then on the contender for ~$1M deadline cap hit (which only requires about $250k of actual cap space).

At those numbers, you have to imagine a decent return could be split between the Canucks and Red Wings.

If I’m Detroit, I’m setting prices right now for cap retention on rentals, and opening the market for any teams looking to make trades.

20 hours ago, DeNiro said:

100% he gets picked up.

He put up 65 points only 3 seasons ago, is 27 years old, and only has a 4.5 million dollar cap hit.

No way there’s a team that doesn’t look at their blue line and see a need for his puck moving abilities. Even if he is a liability in his own end. Everyone on here said the same thing about Barrie and look at him now.

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Hope u didn't bet on this

• Haha 1

On 3/30/2021 at 9:32 AM, Master Mind said:

Ghost has the talent, and could thrive with another team. He just hasn't gelled with AV's system.

This reminds me a lot of the Ballard situation. Both were easily top 4 dmen before AV's system and then both guys became healthy scratches for AV. Ghost obviously needs some sheltered minutes as he's simply not great in his own end, but paired up with a top shutdown guy, I think he could really excel again. As a coach having the luxury of a player as talented as Ghost, you'd think AV would modify his coaching strategy a little to make it work.

4 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

This reminds me a lot of the Ballard situation. Both were easily top 4 dmen before AV's system and then both guys became healthy scratches for AV. Ghost obviously needs some sheltered minutes as he's simply not great in his own end, but paired up with a top shutdown guy, I think he could really excel again. As a coach having the luxury of a player as talented as Ghost, you'd think AV would modify his coaching strategy a little to make it work.

Hard to modify a coaching strategy to accommodate a defenseman who can't play a lick of defense.  Ghostisbere is simply a liability until he figures out how to play like an NHLer in his own zone; he makes Ballard look like Willie Mitchell in comparison.

19 hours ago, Teemu Selänne said:

Hope u didn't bet on this

I love when people make absolute statements of things that aren't absolute :lol:

5 minutes ago, zduck14 said:

It's a shame both players struggled under his system. I hope Ghost is able to turn it around, whether it be with the Flyers or elsewhere. Maybe Seattle could be a fit.

• Upvote 1

Wow.. Ghost cleared. Offensive minded guy like Hughes but way bigger at 5'11 180 lbs.

Had front loaded contract so his actual pay is only 3.2 mill with cap hit of 4.5 mill.. surprised no one took him. He hasn't been putting up points last season and a half like he used to.. AVs defensive system did that to him..

I wonder what Hughes contract will look like.

Green let's him roam around the ice and in the O zone. But a more defensive minded coach with structure and defensive systems would blow a gasket coaching Hughes and his defensive deficiencies. Plus Hughes is tiny, can't play boards or physically move players on the ice.

Edited by WHL rocks

Rather than starting a new thread in proposal...I'm gonna make it here instead.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/nhl-rumour-roundup-penguins-eye-centre-bruins-want-winger/sn-amp/

From the Article, looks like PHI wants a goalie.

So thinking a trade something like this...

Holtby + Benn for Ghost + Elliott. 

PHI gets a vet G that won a Stanley Cup  and gets a vet D. VAN gets better D depth in Ghost (hopefully improves his game) and a cheaper backup G that we can hopefully re-sign cheap and left to be exposed for the expansion draft.  The downside is that Ghost $4.5M contract runs til 2023.

On 3/30/2021 at 9:30 PM, qwijibo said:

Talk to me when he’s coached a team to a cup 

To me a good coach isn’t necessarily a cup winning coach, unfortunately the NHL only has one trophy/competition and the way the division/conference/league is structured doesn’t make all seasons and all games equal.

that said a good coach is one who can take a decidedly average team that has no right to be in the mix to being contenders.

cupnwinning coaches while they must be good, if you give a great team an average coach they will still perform, you give that same coach a poor team they collapse. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, zduck14 said:

This reminds me a lot of the Ballard situation. Both were easily top 4 dmen before AV's system and then both guys became healthy scratches for AV. Ghost obviously needs some sheltered minutes

I would think there is more to it.

AV made pretty good use of other free wheeling D. His situational use of Christian Ehrhoff was almost as crazy as that of Malhotra defensively.  

Players decline for lots of reasons. Sometimes at 27 years of age, sometimes 32? With Kesler it was pain killers. Not to mention injuries that catalyzed their use. Guys try out new diets, training techniques. Which work, and sometimes don't. Hurt performance instead? Some discover new recreational drugs. Have relationship ,maybe mental health issues. Or face teams who's coaches simply have discovered how to shut a guy down; then suddenly every team knows...

AV would tell you he simply observes / deploys who is playing well.  

10 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Wow.. Ghost cleared. Offensive minded guy like Hughes but way bigger at 5'11 180 lbs.

Had front loaded contract so his actual pay is only 3.2 mill with cap hit of 4.5 mill.. surprised no one took him. He hasn't been putting up points last season and a half like he used to.. AVs defensive system did that to him..

I wonder what Hughes contract will look like.

Green let's him roam around the ice and in the O zone. But a more defensive minded coach with structure and defensive systems would blow a gasket coaching Hughes and his defensive deficiencies. Plus Hughes is tiny, can't play boards or physically move players on the ice.

Hughes is small for a D-man, but this comparison is ridiculous. 1 inch taller at the exact same weight is in no universe "way bigger", in fact I'd contend that Hughes is the bigger player if he's carrying more bulk on a smaller frame. The game is trending away from the Gudbransons of the league, but let's not pretend Ghost is somehow Chara in comparison to Hughes.