The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 prospects the Canucks could select in the first round of the 2021 draft

Rate this topic

Me_

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

It's a fair question, he's clearly capable at the AHL level. Who knows? 

I wouldn't be surprised if GM's picked for needs tbh. Even if you don't land a star, if you draft a guy who can at least play the position he's drafted for in some capacity that could be considered a win for this draft. 

I think steady shut down D are more likely to be acquired via trade or ufa. You an try and draft em, absolutely, but when drafting for D that's not usually what GM's aim for. Two way at the minimum, shutdown D are almost a throwback. Agreed on wingers, but they're more readily available via ufa if only because of the sheer number of them needed for NHL rosters. We need D, wingers, and centers. Hell, even another goalie wouldn't hurt. Hopefully we get some hits from this coming draft. 

Drafting a Gudbranson in the top 10 is an organizational mishap.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I thought I heard that wasn't popular with the GMs? can't remember the source for a quote tho, sorry. 

I'm not sure, I mean, how could it be a bad thing getting better data on the guys you're looking at drafting, right?

• Vintage 1

50 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I actually went back and checked the last 7 years and he's been really accurate. Maybe he's not so good on the pro-scouting part. 

When I did the comparison of all the scouting lists and figured out who they would have chosen for us in the first round since Benning started... Button came out on top, followed by Pronman.

Benning was above average.

No one is 100%, Button is pretty much as good as it gets though with the draft. Most teams would do well to just listen to him.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

I'm not sure, I mean, how could it be a bad thing getting better data on the guys you're looking at drafting, right?

I agree, but with the low cap it keeps that cheapie youth out of the lineup longer too. 

1 hour ago, Provost said:

When I did the comparison of all the scouting lists and figured out who they would have chosen for us in the first round since Benning started... Button came out on top, followed by Pronman.

Benning was above average.

No one is 100%, Button is pretty much as good as it gets though with the draft. Most teams would do well to just listen to him.

so what you're saying, if I'm hearing you correctly, is fire Benning and hire Button? 

• Haha 3

Take this how you will, but Cam Robinson was on 650 last week and mentioned that there were a few rumblings about Luke Hughes and some attitude issues.  It sounded very vague but he mentioned that some scouts have him 1st overall and some have him around 10.  He did say that he was one of the top 10-15 prospects in this draft class (no big news there)

15 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

so what you're saying, if I'm hearing you correctly, is fire Benning and hire Button? 

Well maybe he would do well as head of amateur scouting... but then again, he maybe he had less intel if he is in the employ of a team.  He is likely so good because he gets to chat with scouts from all organizations without being a competitor.

I am on record saying we need to hire a President and then have them figure out the rest.  I keep beating the drum on Larionov for that role.

Edited by Provost

I'm just so thrilled with Hoglander this year, and we all know Podkolzin is going to contribute once he arrives (even if the offense takes some time to develop).
There's no longer the same dread of "OMG WE CAN'T MESS THIS PICK UP!!", we're gonna get a good player and can kinda-sorta pick based on need too.

Even just on the defensive side of things:
Clarke? Smooth skating RHD with dynamic offensive abilities? Sounds good. I'd like a little more size, but he is very very skilled.
Power? Physically gifted monster of a defender that can skate and make plays? Sign me up. I worry about his offensive upside, but a big steady defender is exactly what we need.

Hughes? Effortless skating stride, slightly less dynamic but bigger version/kid brother of the best defenseman we've ever had? I like it. Would be better if he were a righty, but I'm down for the brotherly connection to return to Vancouver.

The list just goes on and on... 
Lambos? 

I like a lot of the forwards near the top of the heap as well, and Wallstedt is the most complete goaltending prospect I've ever seen...
But I do hope we go defense this year. Especially a big body. 

Nothing to fear here, we're getting a good player.

Edited by nergish

14 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Man...

Button may have been the worst GM in history. Milbury does give him a good run though...

Edited by Me_

1 hour ago, VancouverHabitant said:

Take this how you will, but Cam Robinson was on 650 last week and mentioned that there were a few rumblings about Luke Hughes and some attitude issues.  It sounded very vague but he mentioned that some scouts have him 1st overall and some have him around 10.  He did say that he was one of the top 10-15 prospects in this draft class (no big news there)

No better way to straighten that out with his big bro starring down at him at every turn.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Zhukini said:

Well they’re both lefty’s so...

He did suffer a season ending injury this season so he might drop far enough for us to nab which would be fun.

If we can get both Hughes, the third will come to us when he hits FA. Would be nice to have 2 hughes anchored by 2 Tanevs.