The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 prospects the Canucks could select in the first round of the 2021 draft

Rate this topic

Me_

57 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

I think its more and more likely that the draft gets pushed back to next summer and they do both drafts a couple of weeks apart. The advantage of this, considering its likely that the Canucks will draft in the top 10, we will have a much better idea of how the player that we are going to pick, will perform in his draft +1 year, before even drafting him, and he'll be that much more likely to be able to step right into the lineup.

I thought I heard that wasn't popular with the GMs? can't remember the source for a quote tho, sorry. 

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

thats why I'm high on Jesper. I know we need d an C depth too, but JW's numbers from this year are based on games in the SHL, i.e. a lot of real playing time so less chance of it being a mirage. Big kid already too. 

Not gonna lie, I'm not really keen on the idea of using our first on a goaltender. Particularly with a higher pick, which we'll likely have. But yeah, if that's the route we go I'll undoubtedly root for him. 

• Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Not gonna lie, I'm not really keen on the idea of using our first on a goaltender. Particularly with a higher pick, which we'll likely have. But yeah, if that's the route we go I'll undoubtedly root for him. 

I know its risky. But you can never have enough good goalies and this draft seems destined for hit and miss moments. 

But Hughes would be interesting, wish he was RHD but if he was he probably goes 1st oa in that case.

I'm just going off Button's list, he's been very accurate and I'm guessing no matter what happens we drop and are in the 10-12 range. I like JW at that spot if it all falls how Button predicts: https://www.tsn.ca/defencemen-dominate-craig-button-s-early-look-at-2021-nhl-draft-class-1.1394203

• Thanks 1
  • Vintage 2

46 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I know its risky. But you can never have enough good goalies and this draft seems destined for hit and miss moments. 

But Hughes would be interesting, wish he was RHD but if he was he probably goes 1st oa in that case.

I'm just going off Button's list, he's been very accurate and I'm guessing no matter what happens we drop and are in the 10-12 range. I like JW at that spot if it all falls how Button predicts: https://www.tsn.ca/defencemen-dominate-craig-button-s-early-look-at-2021-nhl-draft-class-1.1394203

That's a fair way to look at it, but it doesn't jive with me tbh. But that's fair, that's why we're all here. 

Hughes would be, besides Rathbone and maybe Woo we don't have too potential top end D prospects. I'd consider Juolevi almost graduated, but we'll see. 

Button's respectable, if he's considered BPA by our scouting staff and JB I say go for it. But I'd rather a forward or winger with our first, goaltenders can be gotten later. 

• Cheers 2

4 hours ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Why? Pete Miller BoHo Podkolzin are all Cs and sub 28. With 3 sub 25. The Canucks need defence and wingers

We don't have any C's in our pool of consequence.   Drafting a high end C is almost as important to the club right now as is a RHD to join Woo in the pipe.

For all the complaining about Sutters and Beagles deals on this site, have to say i'm not expecting that to stop anytime soon, the moaning will just go from them to the next crop of UFAs we have to pick through while waiting for a young C to make it again.   AG is supposed to be a C, but doesn't cut it, at least not for now and especially on a defensive line.   We need to start thinking about replacing both Miller and Horvat, and adding a 3C.    If we luck out and get another Horvat, we are still looking at 3-4 years before he will  be ready to play top six.   We have plenty of wingers both tweeners and in the system.  Lind, Podz, Hogs...and they are the easiest and cheapest things to acquire via free agency. 

Edit:   Thing is, BPA also plays into this, like two years ago with Podz falling on our lap at ten (needed the D's then still), it was the right move.   Hopefully one of these high ranked guys does just that.  

Edited by IBatch
  • Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

That's a fair way to look at it, but it doesn't jive with me tbh. But that's fair, that's why we're all here. 

Hughes would be, besides Rathbone and maybe Woo we don't have too potential top end D prospects. I'd consider Juolevi almost graduated, but we'll see. 

Button's respectable, if he's considered BPA by our scouting staff and JB I say go for it. But I'd rather a forward or winger with our first, goaltenders can be gotten later. 

well, I mean we could have a fight over it. 

I hear you. I'm just worried about the bust potential of some of the Fs. Maybe I'm overly concerned. 

• Vintage 1

23 minutes ago, IBatch said:

We don't have any C's in our pool of consequence.   Drafting a high end C is almost as important to the club right now as is a RHD to join Woo in the pipe.

For all the complaining about Sutters and Beagles deals on this site, have to say i'm not expecting that to stop anytime soon, the moaning will just go from them to the next crop of UFAs we have to pick through while waiting for a young C to make it again.   AG is supposed to be a C, but doesn't cut it, at least not for now and especially on a defensive line.   We need to start thinking about replacing both Miller and Horvat, and adding a 3C.    If we luck out and get another Horvat, we are still looking at 3-4 years before he will  be ready to play top six.   We have plenty of wingers both tweeners and in the system.  Lind, Podz, Hogs...and they are the easiest and cheapest things to acquire via free agency. 

Good post. We def need more center prospects and D prospects, wingers are always easier to find as you're playing a minimum of eight at any given time. Easier for a center to convert to wing than vice versa I'd imagine too. Def need more D too, Rathbone probably isn't far off, but we need more in the pipeline. I'm just glad we've got all our picks this year. 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

well, I mean we could have a fight over it. 

I hear you. I'm just worried about the bust potential of some of the Fs. Maybe I'm overly concerned. 

We could, but realistically neither of us probably wanna waste our time. :P

I mean, you're probably not overly concerned, there's simply a lot of uncertainty around this draft because of Covid factors. Even scouts probably know less than they usually would. 

• Vintage 2

45 minutes ago, Coconuts said:

Button is respectable, as for busts, every  year there are some.   Not to diss Button but he felt so highly of Rafferty over a year ago he said he's ready for top four play in the NHL then .... sure only one game, and maybe it was nerves, and also wondering if he's purposefully been left hiding in the weeds as we can't protect them all. 

1 minute ago, Coconuts said:

Good post. We def need more center prospects and D prospects, wingers are always easier to find as you're playing a minimum of eight at any given time. Easier for a center to convert to wing than vice versa I'd imagine too. Def need more D too, Rathbone probably isn't far off, but we need more in the pipeline. I'm just glad we've got all our picks this year. 

We could, but realistically neither of us probably wanna waste our time. :P

I mean, you're probably not overly concerned, there's simply a lot of uncertainty around this draft because of Covid factors. Even scouts probably know less than they usually would. 

you know, given how weird the GM decisions have been the last few drafts I honestly don't know what to expect. We could have GMs picking for need in this one and who the heck knows who we end up with. 

• Vintage 2

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

you know, given how weird the GM decisions have been the last few drafts I honestly don't know what to expect. We could have GMs picking for need in this one and who the heck knows who we end up with. 

Too bad Bergervin isn't picking ahead of us but there is always Detroit lol...not that Seider was a bad pick and it was way off board. 

• Haha 2
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Button is respectable, as for busts, every  year there are some.   Not to diss Button but he felt so highly of Rafferty over a year ago he said he's ready for top four play in the NHL then .... sure only one game, and maybe it was nerves, and also wondering if he's purposefully been left hiding in the weeds as we can't protect them all. 

I actually went back and checked the last 7 years and he's been really accurate. Maybe he's not so good on the pro-scouting part. 

• Vintage 1

Just now, IBatch said:

Too bad Bergervin isn't picking ahead of us but there is always Detroit lol...not that Seider was a bad pick and it was way off board. 

yeah no Chayka either.

Another virtual draft too, so that will mess up trades. 

• Vintage 1

4 hours ago, Coconuts said:

Podkolzin is a winger. 

Miller just turned 28, Bo will be 26 in April. You always gotta look to the future when it comes to prospects because most prospects don't step right into the NHL post-draft. 

Ah, so he is. My point is, getting another centre isn't a bad thing. You can create a logjam, and players don't like being stuck somewhere. You can play centres on the wing and whatnot, but I think the Canucks need more goal scoring wingers, and a steady shut down D.

• Vintage 1

52 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

we shouldn't dismiss wingers either. if need be we could move JT to center and make 3 scoring lines.

I have to admit... JT Miller at center is really nice.

Should it actually be:

PETTERSSON

MILLER

HORVAT

BEAGLE

?

That is actually a very deep center position.

26 minutes ago, IBatch said:

It's a fair question, he's clearly capable at the AHL level. Who knows? 

25 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I wouldn't be surprised if GM's picked for needs tbh. Even if you don't land a star, if you draft a guy who can at least play the position he's drafted for in some capacity that could be considered a win for this draft. 

16 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

Ah, so he is. My point is, getting another centre isn't a bad thing. You can create a logjam, and players don't like being stuck somewhere. You can play centres on the wing and whatnot, but I think the Canucks need more goal scoring wingers, and a steady shut down D.

I think steady shut down D are more likely to be acquired via trade or ufa. You an try and draft em, absolutely, but when drafting for D that's not usually what GM's aim for. Two way at the minimum, shutdown D are almost a throwback. Agreed on wingers, but they're more readily available via ufa if only because of the sheer number of them needed for NHL rosters. We need D, wingers, and centers. Hell, even another goalie wouldn't hurt. Hopefully we get some hits from this coming draft. 

• Vintage 1