The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

5 prospects the Canucks could select in the first round of the 2021 draft

Rate this topic

Me_

32 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

but I'm hearing any change from Jim is good. 

Finicky fans today are of the Now Generation; they can’t see the future to save themselves, and want everything yesterday.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

1 minute ago, Me_ said:

Finicky fans today are of the Now Generation; they can’t see the future to save themselves, and want everything yesterday.

I'm wondering when a team will go with a virtual GM. I mean why not if you're going to make major decisions based solely on analytics. 

"you can't make that trade, Dave"

2001 A Space Odyssey Quote GIF by Top 100 Movie Quotes of All Time

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm wondering when a team will go with a virtual GM. I mean why not if you're going to make major decisions based solely on analytics. 

It would be interesting to see how long it takes for a team to fall absolutely apart at the guidance of a “collective GM” made up of impatient fans salivating at the Cup like rabies.

Edited by Me_

17 minutes ago, Me_ said:

It would be interesting to see how long it takes for a team to fall absolutely apart at the guidance of a “collective GM” made up of impatient fans salivating at the Cup like rabies.

I'm very curious to see what happens with Seattle and if they are really as deeply committed to analytics as has been said. Moneypuck from the ground up. 

18 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

I'm very curious to see what happens with Seattle and if they are really as deeply committed to analytics as has been said. Moneypuck from the ground up. 

Recipe for disaster.

Should be a non-threat for the Canucks.

Edited by Me_
  • Cheers 1

1 hour ago, Jimmy McGill said:

It would be interesting to see a team basically get rid of almost all its scouting staff and just go off the existing central scouting and pundit lists.  At least half the teams would draft better.
If it wasn't a money savings idea and you instead pumped all that money into player development, could that actually have better results?  Any 15-18 year old they are scouting has so far to go after they are drafted, that development is way more important.

I wonder what the rules are around going nuts on development once players are drafted but before they sign their ELCs?  Could a team basically have their own "academy" a couple of times a year to manage their prospects?  Could they pay for a development coach to work with the prospects on junior/college teams?  Heck even working directly with undrafted college players and developing those relationships could pay dividends with college free agent signings.

• Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, Provost said:

It would be interesting to see a team basically get rid of almost all its scouting staff and just go off the existing central scouting and pundit lists.  At least half the teams would draft better.
If it wasn't a money savings idea and you instead pumped all that money into player development, could that actually have better results?  Any 15-18 year old they are scouting has so far to go after they are drafted, that development is way more important.

I wonder what the rules are around going nuts on development once players are drafted but before they sign their ELCs?  Could a team basically have their own "academy" a couple of times a year to manage their prospects?  Could they pay for a development coach to work with the prospects on junior/college teams?  Heck even working directly with undrafted college players and developing those relationships could pay dividends with college free agent signings.

For me it seems like a bad idea to take the people out of a people-based business. But maybe I'm too old school.

I do think development is just as important as drafting, particularly outside of the 1st round.

If I had Aqulini's money, I'd buy into SHL and KHL teams and put our prospects into pro games asap wherever they fit best and have them signed to deals internationally before we had NHL deals in place.  

• Upvote 2

On 3/31/2021 at 1:48 PM, Provost said:

There is a very good read on the drafting from 1990-2010 (university study).   One of the things they compared was the fact organizations have grown so much, especially in the scouting and development parts, and how much it's affected the odds of a bust pick, and the quality.    Surprisingly the bust amounts are virtually the same.   A slight or marginal  uptick in quality, which is believed to be as much or more about other improvements more then actual scouting staff increases.    So yes you might be onto something.  

• Upvote 1

On 3/30/2021 at 3:23 PM, Devron44 said:

Anyone else notice both Quinn and Luke have that slightly off set eye.

Maybe that’s the secret to their elite talents. 

This is actually true for 99% of humans :-)

22 minutes ago, RomanP said:

This is actually true for 99% of humans :-)

I don’t understand. I just noticed it on them like similar to a wandering eye. Nothing wrong with that just something I noticed, curious what it is exactly 

Edited by Devron44

On 3/30/2021 at 1:26 PM, Jimmy McGill said:

how do you judge BPA in such a wonky year? 

If we're picking around 12th, I'd like to see us nab Wallstedt. By the time he's NHL ready Demko will be a UFA or a year from it. 

How's bpa judged in any year?

Petey wasn't considered bpa when he was picked but, obviously, he was Vancouver Brass' bpa (thankfully).

What a cdcer may think is bpa will rarely, if ever, match up with what we think.

4 hours ago, Devron44 said:

I don’t understand. I just noticed it on them like similar to a wandering eye. Nothing wrong with that just something I noticed, curious what it is exactly 

I wasn't making fun. If you look closer at people's eyes, this is extremely common.

On 3/31/2021 at 9:38 AM, Me_ said:

I'll subscribe to the generation that wanted to be patient and bottom out since 2016, watching us sign overpriced free agents, trade away assets in an effort to make playoffs and not accumulate a surplus of picks, and being frustrated by being told that now in 2021 we should wait and be patient. 

I distinctly remember arguing with people on CDC that this market is patient enough to stay with the team through a bottom out and rebuild years ago, and people saying NO we HAVE to make playoffs or people lose interest. Different take on the 'NOW' generation for me.

Edited by DSVII

Well with Covid ravaging the team, we may be looking at something closer to a top 5 pick by the end of the year... We're also likely to a get a look at some of the Utica kids, so there's that!

#Silver linings

• Cheers 1