Canucks Community

5 prospects the Canucks could select in the first round of the 2021 draft

Rate this topic

Me_

Canucks priorities in this draft are as follows

1 RHD 

2 Centre

3 Playmaker

With this in mind my picks are as follows.

Top tier:

Clarke 

Eklund

Beniers

Luke 

High risk high reward:

Johnson Dangles for days

Guenther 2ppg in the Dub looks like the complete package will it translate??

Edvinsson Great motor and agility for a big man questionable decision making. Could be trying to do too much if he can calm his game he will be fine. 

High floor guys who address an organizational need:

Svechkov 3C

Pastujov Playmaker

Wallstedt Future elite goalie tandem. 

I no longer have Power in my top 10 IMO his level of compete is low he is propped up by the stacked team he plays on. He excels due to his size however in the NHL he won't be able to get by on his size alone anymore. His lateral movement is atrocious he gets absolutely turnstiled whenever he's pressured.

Edited by hammertime

Anyone think we will see the Canucks drop down far enough in the standings to see a top 3 or 4 pick? 

This Covid shutdown got me thinking yesterday that, even when the team is back playing, they're going to be really bad.... With a few of the players reportedly having fairly major symptoms, they won't be anywhere close to 100% for a while. It makes me think that it will be a very ugly 19 games to finish out the season. Potentially bad enough to get into the top 4 as I could definitely see LA, NJ, CGY and even OTT (4 head to head games left) surpassing the Canucks. 

5 minutes ago, hammertime said:

Canucks priorities in this draft are as follows

1 RHD 

2 Centre

3 Playmaker

With this in mind my picks are as follows.

Clarke 

Eklund

Beniers

Luke 

Johnson

Guenther

Edvinsson

Svechkov

Pastijov

Wallstedt

I no longer have Power in my top 10 IMO his level of compete is low he is propped up by the stacked team he plays on. He excels due to his size however in the NHL he won't be able to get by on his size alone anymore. His lateral movement is atrocious he gets absolutely turnstiled whenever he's pressured.

I've read this a few places now. I haven't seen him play myself but reading reports like this makes sound more and more like Gudbranson.

With us sitting out this last week and all the other teams making up their games in hand we’re sliding. Hopefully Benning can work some trade deadline deals to add more picks and prospects. Also some of these names look a little more realistic while holding onto the 8th overall pick at the moment.

2 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'll subscribe to the generation that wanted to be patient and bottom out since 2016, watching us sign overpriced free agents, trade away assets in an effort to make playoffs and not accumulate a surplus of picks, and being frustrated by being told that now in 2021 we should wait and be patient. 

I distinctly remember arguing with people on CDC that this market is patient enough to stay with the team through a bottom out and rebuild years ago, and people saying NO we HAVE to make playoffs or people lose interest. Different take on the 'NOW' generation for me.

It’s THE. playoffs.

THE. playoffs.

3 hours ago, DSVII said:

I'll subscribe to the generation that wanted to be patient and bottom out since 2016, watching us sign overpriced free agents, trade away assets in an effort to make playoffs and not accumulate a surplus of picks, and being frustrated by being told that now in 2021 we should wait and be patient. 

I distinctly remember arguing with people on CDC that this market is patient enough to stay with the team through a bottom out and rebuild years ago, and people saying NO we HAVE to make playoffs or people lose interest. Different take on the 'NOW' generation for me.

Um they did bottom out. the Canucks have been consistently one of the worst teams in the league for years. What the frack are you complaining about? They didn't have anything to sell. Burr and Higgins got a song. Hammer I think we were offered a 7th?? Bieksa and Kes actually returned something. Vanek got Motte so thats pretty schweet. Soooooo I'm not really sure what your beef is?  They can't say hey fans don't bother buying ticktes because we plan on sucking for the next decade. They are selling hope which obviously rings empty when they carp the bed every year. But at least they arent following the EDM/BUF model of rushing prospects to sell tix and giving them no mentorship. 

when you strip it down.

Sutter, Beagle, Roussel, Miller, Holtby, Guddy, Vanek, on the surface look like wastes of space if you bought the whole competitive now storyline. However if you have any common sense you would understand lip service and the rebuild is underway. These players embody aspects of what it takes to win championships.

Roussel is a definition pest he drags the team into a dogfight with him.

Beagle and Sutter play shutdown C and you simply can't win jack all without one.

Guddy provided at the very least a little deterrent from taking runs at the kiddos.

Holtby, Miller are the type of veteran tenders to create and environment where Markstrom and Demko have to win the position and settle them into becoming a true starter. 

So yes of course none of these guys are going to take this team over the top to be a contender but they can instill attributes of what it takes to take the next step when the team is ready. And on that bombshell when the time does come the Canucks won't be Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo.

In conclusion what did we have to sell ever that anyone wanted?

JB spent money (not your money) on mentorship that was sold as be competitive now but if you had any sense you would understand. And hey last year they actually got a taste and they showed that they are actually getting it. 

I don't understand why you think that Jack would sign here just because we have Luke and Quinn.

If I were a pro hockey player and my siblings played for a team, let's say Calgary for instance, I'd probably sign in Florida so I could see them as little as possible. Just my $0.02