The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaudette and 7 others test positive for Covid - All games till Apr 6th Postponed

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

9 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Shes going to leave him if he doesnt stick in the nhl anyway.  

A lot of these nhlers are marrying total gold digging IG airheads.  

Should take a que from the Sedins n Bo.  

Oh yeah, she can do better. he's a nerd. Lol, I'm joking but she is a gold digger as are all media contributors. 

It reminds me of all the trees we lost sending paper copies of BS to each other.

Now it's just mental garbage.

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • RoughGame 2

4 hours ago, Dazzle said:

She clearly missed the point, even when given the chance to amend herself.

It's not that she wasn't ALLOWED to go shopping. It's taking extra precautions (key word: precautions - not the same as restrictions) to AVOID COVID. One of those steps is to wear a mask, for example, but in no way do they guarantee anything. They're just something that can help mitigate the risks, so people like her are more or less EXPECTED to do it, especially given that her husband is dealing with hockey players who absolutely have to be COVID negative. Instead, she decides "Sorry, I'm not going to listen to that."

Like, she potentially could be one of those people who could careless ruin the players and families that are now under COVID. I'm not saying she was definitely the one to do it. I'm saying she didn't use due diligence. THAT is the issue.

If it were me, I'd follow EVERY SINGLE PRECAUTION as if they were restrictions because that minimizes my chance of getting COVID. She clearly doesn't think the same way.

I believe the video was from December because that's supposedly when she was on the podcast, although don't quote me on that maybe she appeared on it a different time later but I haven't seen anything. That would of been before the season started but around the exact time it was announced there would be a NHL season, they were probably just receiving the information on what it would be for the upcoming season, but still doesn't look good on her part imo. So regarding the issue the Canucks are dealing with right now we can't point fingers at really anyone, but it doesn't look good when it was Adam who tested positive first and you have his wife saying things like that before the season started, just doesn't look good.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, lmm said:

Gaudette is the shiny new thing from last year, whose shine has miraculously lasted longer than Goldy, Baertschi, Dahlin, Leipsic, Grandlund and Megna.

I am just not sure how,

coz he's avging .33 ppg as a bottom 6 player playing on the 3rd/4th line in more of a defensive role despite his horrendous season stat wise?

2 hours ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I don't know her overall view on everything. Her stance was that she did nothing wrong, and the Canucks told them such - whether that's true I don't know, I'd assume so. To my knowledge going to the grocery store isn't illegal.

She isn't a host on the podcast, just a guest/friend. I don't think shes a big enough deal to have to come out with a public statement, considering we don't know if this was her fault - again, apparently the Canucks said it wasn't. 

I think alot of people are taking it less seriously than before in our province, I don't really want to single her out as I don't know what precautions she is & isn't taking. My thought as to why people are not adhering as strictly to the protocol's is; I think the government (and many gov'ts) have taken half assed measures, and that - along with people seeing; a high recovery rate statistically, a huge toll on people mentally/economically, & not facing the worst of the virus first hand - has eroded trust / obedience of the public. (Again not a justification or judgement, just an 'analysis').

It's a bad look because her husband is playing in the NHL and she is picking and choosing what she wants to follow for precautions, which is dangerous. The more precautions you follow, the more risk you mitigate.

As it stands, she didn't do everything possible to avoid the disease. The Canucks aren't going to call her out for this because that would be toxic and mess with team cohesion.

Edited by Dazzle

1 hour ago, Dazzle said:

It's a bad look because her husband is playing in the NHL and she is picking and choosing what she wants to follow for precautions, which is dangerous. The more precautions you follow, the more risk you mitigate.

As it stands, she didn't do everything possible to avoid the disease. The Canucks aren't going to call her out for this because that would be toxic and mess with team cohesion.

Wonder if she'll ever be able to attend another Internal Canucks Player/family social function again with all these questions hanging over her head and the disastrous situation the team and the entire national Hockey league finds itself in - all because of this?

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Toyotasfan said:

I would find it amusing if Gaudette wasn’t even the first person within the team to contact the virus , just bad luck to be the first test back from the lab. Let’s say Baumgartner was host , would that make any difference?

Imagine if it comes out that Lucky Loui E. is the cause behind all this?  Wouldn't that be something!

What makes this worse is that it looks like Calgary and Montreal are starting to struggle now. Calgary have really dropped off but we're only 6 points behind Montreal. They're losing games in hand (to Ottawa no less) so anything could still happen, then the Canucks team gets wiped by Covid...

If/when they do come back to play, you'd think they'd need a couple of weeks from the first tests and even then, coming back straight into games after not training or exercising for 2 weeks will be brutal. We've seen players come back individually from these layoffs and really struggle so if it's most of the team, we're screwed. 

Real shame because it looks like Montreal is going to tempt us into the playoffs ease through now.

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Canuckster86 said:

Probably to keep the aggressive posters away from blaming her for the team getting covid

I agree, its probably best if everyone lay off of of her for possibly causing this disastrous and potentially deadly situation for the entire team and the League.  I'm sure she doesn't appreciate the entire population of Vancouver and British Columbia blaming her for what she possibly did or didn't do to the team.   In any event, even if she did contaminate the entire team and subject them to potential death, I'm fairly sure she didn't do it on purpose.  

17 hours ago, mountainnuck said:

Just read on a international news site that 10 players have the deadlier Brazilian variant and one player is very sick and in ICU.

We'll that narrows it down.   It's very likely then this has a connection to whistler where the Brazilian  variant took off in BC.   If memory serves me, it was right around the time when Quebecers were pouring into Whistler for spring break over the last couple of weeks (which we all saw on TV) and they had the Brazilian variant before us.   If I was a Contact Tracer. I'd be asking which Canucks family members had been in contact with Quebecers around Whistler.  That might help narrow it down.

Edited by RU SERIOUS

7 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What makes this worse is that it looks like Calgary and Montreal are starting to struggle now. Calgary have really dropped off but we're only 6 points behind Montreal. They're losing games in hand (to Ottawa no less) so anything could still happen, then the Canucks team gets wiped by Covid...

If/when they do come back to play, you'd think they'd need a couple of weeks from the first tests and even then, coming back straight into games after not training or exercising for 2 weeks will be brutal. We've seen players come back individually from these layoffs and really struggle so if it's most of the team, we're screwed. 

Real shame because it looks like Montreal is going to tempt us into the playoffs ease through now.

No... we weren’t going to make the playoffs “if not for Covid”.

No need to start that alternative imagined reality.

We had lost 3 games in a row pre-Covid and Montreal is 5-3-2 in their last 10.  They aren’t losing games in hand, they have gotten points in 6 of their last 7 games... and are just on a 1 game losing streak.  

We weren’t catching them before all this happened, and we still aren’t catching them.

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

The BCCDC recommends that every grocery purchase be made using the card “tap” function, all shopping be done alone, people bag their own groceries, and a host of other recommendations meant to limit potential Covid-19 exposures.

So, anyone who’s paid with cash (or typed their PIN), gone grocery shopping with a spouse/child, or let someone else bag their groceries, is pretty much as guilty as Micaela, when it comes to not doing everything possible to mitigate risk.

This young woman has been following the rules and complying with most of the recommendations. She’s not some anti-masker. She only leaves her house to walk her dog and to occasionally buy groceries (which she lightheartedly referred to as the highlight of her social life during the pandemic).

It’s true that the NHL does recommend that players and their families have their groceries delivered, but it’s not a requirement. Micaela apparently felt delivery was okay for packaged and nonperishable foods, but that she wanted to shop in person for her fresh food. I’m sure she’s not the only Canuck spouse who doesn’t like having someone else pick out and deliver all her fresh fruits/veggies, meats, etc, and prefers to go to the store for these and some other items.

Mrs. Gaudette’s comments and tone during her podcast appearance were regrettable, but hardly deserving of the level of condemnation she has received, especially in some dark corners on social media.

I really don’t think we need to burn this young woman at the stake for wanting to go to the grocery store. And if we are going to condemn people by this kind of standard (I’m not saying you are doing this, @Dazzle, just speaking more in general here), then we’ll need a light a pretty big bonfire. I’d expect close to 5 million people in this Province deserve immolation alongside Micaela, when it comes to their failure to comply with every single one of the many Covid-19 recommendations, whether they’re the ones coming from the NHL (in Gaudette’s case), or the BCCDC (for all of us in BC).

I think this is a very reasonable post and I truly commend you for setting the example of how to analyze the situation fairly.

You are absolutely right that she is not a known anti-masker. We have no proof of that. That being said, the comments she made were regrettable, as you said, and she could have used that opportunity to explain that a) she didn't mean to downplay COVID b) she realizes that she's learned more about the importance of the precautions (whether she is sincere about this or not), and she would've cleared the PR issue.

Instead, she doubles down on the situation without addressing what people had brought up. To me, that tells me she doesn't realize what she did wrong, nor does she show the capability of reflecting on her own mistakes. She doesn't want to admit it.

She could have handled that with class, but she didn't. That's why people are going even harder against her because she didn't fix things when she did have the chance to do it.

I dunno. I'm just very disappointed in her. We will never know if she is patient zero.

Edited by Dazzle

26 minutes ago, Provost said:

No... we weren’t going to make the playoffs “if not for Covid”.

No need to start that alternative imagined reality.

We had lost 3 games in a row pre-Covid and Montreal is 5-3-2 in their last 10.  They aren’t losing games in hand, they have gotten points in 6 of their last 7 games... and are just on a 1 game losing streak.  

We weren’t catching them before all this happened, and we still aren’t catching them.

I don't think that's entirely true. Look at the standings. If we won our Ottawa games, and Montreal lost their games, we could very well leapfrog in the standings. I think, even now, it is still too early to rule out who will make the playoffs or not.

Ottawa is doing really well to climb up. They're only 5 points behind us and Calgary. If either had Calgary and Vancouver faltered (ignoring the covid situation) Ottawa could  still challenge for a spot, although the likelihood is lower.

I think the schedule and COVID has screwed the Canucks badly, more so than any other team.

Edited by Dazzle
  • Cheers 2

10 minutes ago, Dazzle said:

I don't think that's entirely true. Look at the standings. If we won our Ottawa games, and Montreal lost their games, we could very well leapfrog in the standings. I think, even now, it is still too early to rule out who will make the playoffs or not.

Ottawa is doing really well to climb up. They're only 5 points behind us and Calgary. If either had Calgary and Vancouver faltered (ignoring the covid situation) Ottawa could  still challenge for a spot, although the likelihood is lower.

I think the schedule and COVID has screwed the Canucks badly, more so than any other team.

Agree completely!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, VegasCanuck said:

This variant that is going around BC right now is really scary, it's far more contagious and is really attacking a much younger crowd.

It's almost like it knew we would start vaccinating the oldest first and adapted.

From a different thread   

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-five-things-to-know-about-the-brazilian-p-1-variant-spreading-in-b-c/ar-BB1fiM7B?ocid=msedgntp

" and it causes a 10-80 per cent increase in mortality, Otto said."

https://netherlandsnewslive.com/alarming-situation-brazilian-virus-variant-three-times-more-deadly-for-people-in-their-twenties/122476/

"In Brazil, the risk of death from the new variant in people in their thirties, forties and fifties is about twice as high as with the ‘classic’ virus, the scientists calculate in a pre-publication just online. In people in their twenties, the mortality is even three times as high. Those are still low odds, by the way: in Brazil, the risk of death in a Covid patient in their twenties increases from 1 in 2,500 to about 1 in 770."

https://www.italy24news.com/technology/5823.html

"

The study highlights that in all age groups the P.1 variant seems to be associated with higher mortality due to Covid-19.

The increase in the rate of deaths appear particularly evident (up to 3 times) in patients aged between 20 and 29 years. This confirms some preliminary observations, according to which the variant P.1 could not only be more contagious, but also more virulent and pathogenic."

• Sad 1

10 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

coz he's avging .33 ppg as a bottom 6 player playing on the 3rd/4th line in more of a defensive role despite his horrendous season stat wise?

Baretschi 2pts in 6 games last year

Goldy 27 pts in 63 in 2019

Leipsic 5 in 17 2019

49 minutes ago, gurn said:

From a different thread   

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/covid-19-five-things-to-know-about-the-brazilian-p-1-variant-spreading-in-b-c/ar-BB1fiM7B?ocid=msedgntp

" and it causes a 10-80 per cent increase in mortality, Otto said."

https://netherlandsnewslive.com/alarming-situation-brazilian-virus-variant-three-times-more-deadly-for-people-in-their-twenties/122476/

"In Brazil, the risk of death from the new variant in people in their thirties, forties and fifties is about twice as high as with the ‘classic’ virus, the scientists calculate in a pre-publication just online. In people in their twenties, the mortality is even three times as high. Those are still low odds, by the way: in Brazil, the risk of death in a Covid patient in their twenties increases from 1 in 2,500 to about 1 in 770."

https://www.italy24news.com/technology/5823.html

"

The study highlights that in all age groups the P.1 variant seems to be associated with higher mortality due to Covid-19.

The increase in the rate of deaths appear particularly evident (up to 3 times) in patients aged between 20 and 29 years. This confirms some preliminary observations, according to which the variant P.1 could not only be more contagious, but also more virulent and pathogenic."

Its not just the increase in risk of death, the increase in long term effects is also substantial. People are really discounting that, as they really don't understand how severe the long term can be.

• Cheers 1