The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Gaudette and 7 others test positive for Covid - All games till Apr 6th Postponed

Rate this topic

VegasCanuck

On 4/8/2021 at 3:58 PM, Provost said:

Ya, you referenced two studies and then said their results were due to media fear mongering.

Also, it is not “common sense” that media fear mongering affects people who have had Covid differently than it does people who haven’t had it... everyone sees the same media, so your “common sense” logic means that a third of the general public now has diagnosed neurological conditions even if they didn’t have Covid?

The studies showed that neurological and psychiatric conditions were significantly increased for those who had Covid.  It is even made clear that it is first time incidents of those issues... not people already differing them like you suggest.  Media sensationalism doesn’t cause Parkinson’s, dementia, Guillain Barre syndrome, etc.  The fact all of these conditions increase in Covid patients shows that there is a clear physiological process at play impacting the brain.  

Your common sense is simply ignorance.

If you actually read the study you'd know that neurological disorders hardly saw an increase at all actually. Unless you consider 1-2% an increase. Most of the numbers came from psychological disorders, mainly in things attributed mostly to anxiety. Anxiety was the biggest number that was derived from that 33% by the way. Mood swings and depression was another big number. And of those numbers, it was around 5% increase for first time diagnoses if I remember correctly. Which is completely expected considering how much fear is perpetuated in the media these days. Things like strokes, dementia, brain diseases, etc. actually saw fairly similar numbers (within 1-2%) as the group without these symptoms, and extremely similar numbers (usually within 0.4%) in relation to other respiratory diseases like influenza. 

So buddy was actually correct. That title was sensationalism because it took the broadest term possible (neuropsychological diseases) which encompasses an extremely broad set of pathology to make people fearful of its affects. In reality, people are going to look at that and assume stroke, dementia and all of the neurological disorders are going to play a significant role in that 33% when in actuality most of that 33% is attributed to anxiety and mood disorders. 

Go read the study yourself. 

1 hour ago, MikeyD said:

If you actually read the study you'd know that neurological disorders hardly saw an increase at all actually. Unless you consider 1-2% an increase.

Go read the study yourself. 

I did read the study... buddy wasn’t correct.

Go find a quote from it saying that any issues were attributed to media fear mongering like he claimed and get back to me.  

The study also found that increasing severity of Covid disease related to higher incidents of these neurological issues... not increased exposure to media reports.

Up to 20% of Covid patients experience long term health impacts.... so if you are trying to insert “common sense” that isn’t supported by the study being quoted... maybe it is common sense that people have anxiety form being really freaking sick and not knowing when they will get better.

The media fear mongering angle has nothing to support it except silly people trying to downplay a serious illness.

... and yes, a 1-2% increase is statistically significant, especially considering the size of the study.

• Upvote 1

On 4/10/2021 at 5:09 PM, Provost said:

Go find a quote from it saying that any issues were attributed to media fear mongering like he claimed and get back to me.  

The study also found that increasing severity of Covid disease related to higher incidents of these neurological issues... not increased exposure to media reports.

Up to 20% of Covid patients experience long term health impacts.... so if you are trying to insert “common sense” that isn’t supported by the study being quoted... maybe it is common sense that people have anxiety form being really freaking sick and not knowing when they will get better.

The media fear mongering angle has nothing to support it except silly people trying to downplay a serious illness.

... and yes, a 1-2% increase is statistically significant, especially considering the size of the study.

No one is downplaying anything. These headlines do not show the percentage of people who suffered or are suffering from mental illness. <_<

long haulers could be people who had been suffering with non related covid issues.

So when the headlines are only portraying the harsh side to scare the masses. They present some and i mean very little of the facts. Totally off base.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1
  • RoughGame 2

On 4/8/2021 at 3:47 AM, Drakrami said:

Pretty ridiclous everything is blamed on the media nowadays. Media will report facts and what's happening, you are free to interpret it how you want.

Take COVID for example, the media is just doing the job and report as objectively as possible. COVID is obviously a very contagious and could be a very deadly diease depending on who gets it (how old you are, existing illness and etc...) Now, you can interpret COVID as being a flu, it is no big deal. Or you can treat it as the plague and be very scared of it. Basically there are a lot of vairables with this diease and it is not right or wrong as to how you intrepret or face this pandemic. 

But there is absolutely no need to make things up and accuse the media of conspiracies unless you have proof they really did report falsely which I have seen none. 

I also have no qualms with news titles, the title usually quite accurately matches with the contents of the article. What you should be upset with are youtube video titles. 

Truth doesn’t sell, everything needs to be sensationalized if you want to attract an audience and audiences mean money, the media is not in the slightest bit honest about COVID and living in fear is not healthy.

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/10/2021 at 6:09 PM, Provost said:

It all depends on what you consider fearful which is a matter of opinion. In context, a 10-13% mortality rate is something to be feared as society all seemed to agree to that number being fearful at the start of Covid. We all made plans and policies to prevent that number from existing. Remember at the beginning when you had the conspiracy theorists saying it's over a 99% survival chance? Yeah, they're not looking like conspiracy theorists anymore are they? Why is that? 

But that's aside from the point, the idea is that some think certain reports are fear mongering. The definition of fear mongering is simple: applying some sort of bias to something to make it more fearful. You don't think the media does this? At all? Like for example in that study, making something seem scarier (by use of implications of neurological disorders possibly occurring at a 33% chance) not holding up to scrutiny when truly examined. In reality, you're looking at less than a 1% chance or mortality, and less than a 2% chance of having long-term adverse side affects, and less than approximately a 1.1% chance of having first time diagnoses of long term affects. To some people, that's not that scary. So when they see the media pumping up numbers-- in which they do, as been explained by multiple health officials that many covid deaths are simply labeled as covid deaths under certain conditions, something that most diseases don't receive and are often trumped in "cause of death"-- to make covid appear deadlier than other diseases, it seems to harbour an essence of fear mongering. On top of that, you have health officials who will advise things like "double masking" or "eating with a mask on" or advise against outdoor activities regardless of the data that shows transmission is virtually non-existent there. 

The media rarely advises on how to prop up the immune system to combat covid (exercising, taking specific vitamins, etc.). They typically lump all age ranges into numbers, even though there is a dramatic variance in reactions to getting the virus. Finding statistical data on covid is an absolute nightmare half the time, which again points to leading against providing data that goes against the idea that "covid is scary". With influenza, it's very easy to find data. With covid, it's a huge mess. 

The multiple stories of, "Covid IS scary and you should worry about it!" that is put out by local news. The headlines of, "You may not be out of the woods yet if you've had covid previously!" I've already outlined how that one particular study was again, published with the intentions of making covid sound more threatening than it already is. Headlines often resort to things like, "School shutdown due to viral outbreak from Covid", and when you read the article you find out that 2 people had it. This happened all of the time at the beginning. Not to mention politicians making statements of, "You're killing MY grandmother!" for doing normal activities. The media doesn't ever discuss the survival rate. It doesn't ever discuss the large grouping of asymptomatic carriers, unless it's to talk about how they're going to infect others (even though again, research shows it has a slim to none exposure rate). 

Most people aren't aware of statistically how safe they are. People don't worry about other diseases, but they know to worry about covid. Pretending people don't get anxiety from worry about covid is nonsensical. It's anecdotal but I've known more people who've had psychological breakdowns from freaking out about covid than people who have died from it. Why wouldn't somebody worry about covid? You could potentially kill peoples' loved ones, you could get dementia, you can have a stroke! You may never be the same human being ever again! You're kind of being hypocritical by saying the media doesn't portray fear mongering when you're literally using the same tactic of declaring " maybe it is common sense that people have anxiety form being really freaking sick and not knowing when they will get better" when statistically speaking the chances of people actually getting really freaking sick and not knowing when they'll get better are extremely low for most people. 

Nobody is going to tell an elderly person that their fear of covid is unwarranted. It's a dumb thing to say. They have a pretty good chance of having something bad to them. Also, nobody is going to tell a young person to relax, they're probably going to be fine if they get it. As a society we can't do that anymore because we have to walk on eggshells otherwise we're minimizing experiences of the outliers. People are fearful of kids playing sports. People are fearful of kids going to school. Why? Because for the past year the media has been reporting pretty much every case within those instances. You never saw the media reporting every single case of the flu. Yes, covid is scarier than the flu. It's more contagious than the flu. But does every single reporting of it have to make the news? Apparently, yes. 

At one point in time, people were okay with death and that there was a certain threshold that people were acceptable with to continue doing everyday normal activities. Nobody got angry at the asymptomatic hanging out. Nobody used the death of their grandmother dying from influenza as a source of fear to encourage others to behave safer around everybody else. 

Now we look at people who do normal activities with disgust. You can look at the GraceLife church for example in Edmonton and go, "Wow, those people are scumbags." AHS (Alberta's health body) won't report on how many cases they've had of Covid anymore. They won't report on how many death's they've had due to covid anymore. And why? Because it doesn't support the narrative that a whole bunch of people can all congregate together and not die. It's extremely rare that the media (and usually when it is, it's from some alternative news source) will portray how statistically probable it is for people to get the virus and be fine. Young people are terrified about having a stroke from covid because of articles like the one you shared. They shouldn't be. They're statistically more probable to have a whole bunch of way more horrible things happen to them within the next year than covid giving them a stroke. 

Does it happen? Sure! Every once in a blue moon. 

If you're a 20 year old male, should you worry about it? No. But people do and they will continue to do so because the media will tell them they can get a stroke from having covid. 

When was the last time you've read an article about somebody having a stroke from influenza? About somebody getting dementia from influenza? About somebody getting depression from having influenza? 

Funny how these articles aren't exactly floating around everywhere. People were worried about mad cow, Ebola, SARS, etc. but the media didn't have news media coverage day and night for those diseases. They also were more prevalent at a time when the media didn't drive sales with clickbait headlines. Ever since the newspaper industry got murdered by the internet, all media outlets have been using headlines to draw viewership for advertising. Covid just happens to fall underneath news. It's not the media intentionally going out to provoke fear, they're just intentionally baiting viewership with covid as the news. And with hot topic debates about "how scary" the virus really is, it's very easy for them to do. Sprinkle partial truths into the headlines, move the goalposts on certain things, sensationalize quotes, etc. are all tactics of how they fear monger. Another example of this is when cases started to go down, instead of reporting daily cases, they moved it to weekly cases to boost up that number because if somebody sees a low number, they're less likely to feel something negative about it which draws in less clicks. 

The media isn't dumb. It knows how to draw on emotions to get the clicks. We've seen even in the past ten years trusted news sources go from being trusted to untrusted because of these tactics. 

Edit: edited a bit of math

Edited by MikeyD
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

Ufc 205 Thank You GIF by UFC

You are well versed sir...

The funny thing is I'm also very pro mask and social distance oriented Hahaha. 

I just have a lot of compassion for both sides. One side is hurt by the small chance of something really bad happening to them and the other side is really hurt because their lives have been completely destroyed. 

And on top of that, a government of absolute incompetence for both sides whether it be provincially or federally. Absolute incompetency from so many angles. There should have never even been a "flatten the curve" if the virus was that scary. It should have been "prevent a curve from being measured". New Zealand is the goat. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Any truth to the twitter noise that Gaudette was dumped in retribution for his Girlfriend going skiing up at Whistler, catching Covid and then contaminating the entire team thru Gaud?

Yes 100 percent.  Ongoing issue with her.  Dimwited Gauds got suckered into marrying an instagram floozy, now itll cost him more than he realizes.

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, MikeyD said:

The funny thing is I'm also very pro mask and social distance oriented Hahaha. 

I just have a lot of compassion for both sides. One side is hurt by the small chance of something really bad happening to them and the other side is really hurt because their lives have been completely destroyed. 

And on top of that, a government of absolute incompetence for both sides whether it be provincially or federally. Absolute incompetency from so many angles. There should have never even been a "flatten the curve" if the virus was that scary. It should have been "prevent a curve from being measured". New Zealand is the goat. 

I too am promask and social distancing. What bugs me is the fact that a lot of media and some citizens live for the hype, the sensationalism, the drama. The media gets away with to much, they should be asking the important questions and the dig deep questions. Show me the stats, the data, the information straight from the fact central. No more of this MAY or MIGHT, COULD BE, POSSIBLY.

Tell me what underlying issues contributed to the deaths of all these people who died with covid. These long haulers, what is there history with mental illness, So much more to this that we are not getting. And it's a shame.

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, DarthMelvin said:

I too am promask and social distancing. What bugs me is the fact that a lot of media and some citizens live for the hype, the sensationalism, the drama. The media gets away with to much, they should be asking the important questions and the dig deep questions. Show me the stats, the data, the information straight from the fact central. No more of this MAY or MIGHT, COULD BE, POSSIBLY.

Tell me what underlying issues contributed to the deaths of all these people who died with covid. These long haulers, what is there history with mental illness, So much more to this that we are not getting. And it's a shame.

Heres your answer to the propoganda

https://newtube.app/The_Angry_Albertan/nQcyRB4?__cf_chl_jschl_tk__=5c0ae5dd9423bdcc90c5737c203bb67e426fe4fc-1618273756-0-AfER8pANUjFtVuWacbkVi2I0_WP9TT0AiTwArFr3bGV2qzY7_CAry3Xwu6f1szXzBt-tRo3xewInAptfZcoqivoI4XRpFh4YF0URKHdNEC-e9ul2JkHDvMI2K0j1d5Vo6kLjyi6V586hINDT9vZRcRE_NIJRYwtpW1eBY1hy4TcE9hwcDEJ1T8u-dWw5Tfs_cQUhZe_zWIGGCIlwc_H-0V9518xp0wI6Ot4bm7ZoZutMVe-o8I_mlnPGlAxTkgo97opBw44fpCE7l3vugXCPS-Px5oYmvQJ3sRJiHwgzCexLKsoq3KGua3kCpllZ74IaQ_wCPHxnS-xUsDBHr28kha3KErLfs8UlQYbRsq2p0XnrYe9tuIL3x28tJWM4MFP5BhGYMeQOyx-BJaSsfO4LMZDe7DPr0govyI8MU2Vl3vhEYBN5kx2IrJ2fRabHA4CEr7extJC57WT50ndQjJjMU-DfRLj2Iwfq_kFzq4jzvn4e

• Cheers 2

13 hours ago, RU SERIOUS said:

Any truth to the twitter noise that Gaudette was dumped in retribution for his Girlfriend going skiing up at Whistler, catching Covid and then contaminating the entire team thru Gaud?

I heard it was a restaurant, but that could be a restaurant in Whistler I guess. 

• Cheers 1

9 hours ago, Jaimito said:

I heard it was a restaurant, but that could be a restaurant in Whistler I guess. 

If he really didn't wanna be here, good riddance. 

I liked Gaud, but I want guys who wanna be Canucks. I wish him the best and all, but good riddance.

• Cheers 1