The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Proposal] Petterson, Hughes, 2022 1st, and 2nd round 2022 for Eichel and Dahlin

That's just awful.  Pete's going to be in the same caliber of player as Jack, so there's no reason to bring in Jack as a $10 million acquisition.  Jack is probably still a bit better (at least reputation wise) but you gotta think that being in Buffalo and the losing culture is going to screw him up, not to mention adding him screws up our cap situation.

If Hughes for Dahlin was on the table I'd consider, but not the other parts of the deal (no to Vancouver throwing in extra picks, when Buffalo gets almost the same players and a lot more cap space in return!).

Interesting proposal. Without reading the comments, I'm sure you're being roasted for this, but fans will tend to overvalue their own players. I think this is probably overpaying a bit though.

Eichel is generally better than Petey, but is also older than Petey. Hughes and Dahlin are close, but I think Hughes is better right now. Both are having off years.

Actually, when I look at it closer, Dahlin is really struggling this year, which isn't suprising.

This would be a risky move and to be honest, I think a two-for-two swap is more realistic in terms of value, but I don't think Benning does that anyway. He's sold on Hughes and Petey and will need a really good deal or a player he specifically really wants in order to trade our core.

• Like 1

Dahlin is horrible. He's miles behind where Hughes is at. Hughes is the best defenseman from that draft year and it's not even close anymore.

Petey for Eichel is an interesting swap but I'll take Petey. He's got the chemistry with Boeser and Miller already and has fully embraced this city.

Eichel likely demands a trade this summer. Probably ends up either with the Rangers or with the Kings since those two teams have the assets to make a big move for Eichel.

Also, good careers go to die in Buffalo and I don't want that fate to happen for either Petey or Hughes. Buffalo is a tirefire and has been for years. We've been distracted by Ottawa but Ottawa is not nearly as bad as what has been going on in Buffalo. Buffalo and Arizona need new owners BADLY.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, grimmjaw said:

Why? Only because Eichel and Dahlin are at an all time low when it comes to their value while Petterson and Hughes are high (not all time high). Plus, I believe Eichel and Dahlin to be superior players on a bad team with bad management and leadership group

3 hours ago, runtzguy said:

Hmm, at first i thought you are crazy. But the more I thought about it the more I like it.

When it comes to skill and overall impact, Eichel > Petterson and Dahlin > Hughes.

I realize all the diehards will chew me out because Im choosing other players over our own drafted ones. To counter, I was one of the very few people who saw the potential in Petterson during his draft year while all of you wanted Vilardi or Glass. In terms of skills, skating, and power, there is no denying that Eichel is better and Eichel is a true center. 

When it comes to Dahlin, Hughes has better Offensive instinct. But Dahlin can play both of ends of the ice and doesn't need to be sheltered.

We all like to talk to ourselves sometimes, and it's perfectly healthy. That said, please send me a PM letting me know which of these accounts you'd like to keep. 

2 hours ago, gurn said:

Sundin

meh he was 40 years old and we had to offer nearly twice the salary compared to other teams.

I guess I was wrong... there is one star that signed with us. Loui Erikssssss... well maybe I won't name that player.

We've done better with Petey and Hughes on our team than Buffalo has with both Dahlin and Eichel.

Why exactly would we do this?

Sure, our team is more well-rounded with better supporting pieces, but Buffalo has had pieces on their team that should've helped them make the playoffs at least once (arguablly), especially if Eichel was all that was made out to be.

IMO, I think Eichel isn't the type of player that everyone once thought he was. He's not even at Matthews level to me.

I think Petey can even develop into a Eichel-type level of player while Hughes arguably could end up being a better player than Dahlin when its all said and done.

What about Pettersson and Hughes straight up for Eichel and Dahlin?

To be honest I'd do it, Eichel is the kind of top line center who can carry you through the playoffs, whereas I have concerns with Petey's consistency and defensive game. Hughes looks like he can produce more offence than Dahlin which evens up the deal a bit more.

Right now we're sinking or swimming with our young core and now we're sinking because of Petey's slow start, Hughes' bad defence not to mention some other bad performances. Boeser and Bo have been brilliant but for me, Eichel is the perfect all-around center and while I love Petey, he isn't as complete, and may never be, as Eichel.

• Cheers 1

On 3/30/2021 at 7:38 PM, DarkIndianRises said:

Pettersson and Hughes by themselves would probably get you close to getting Eichel and Dahlin.    Hughes is better than Dahlin right now anyways.

Why not go:

Horvat + Miller + 1st + Rathbone for Eichel?

Next Season:

Hoglander-Eichel-Boeser

Podkolzin-Pettersson-Virtanen

Roussel-Boyd-Gaudette

Hawylruk-Beagle-MacEwen

Eriksson

Schmidt-Myers

Hughes-Tryamkin

Juolevi-Benn

Chatfield

Demko

Holtby

A year later, with Eriksson, Beagle, and Roussel off the books, the Canucks will be able to attract some major UFA’s.

No.   Teams don't win cups with overpaid stars.   Our cap structure shouldn't be too bad once EP and QHs get paid either.    

Rather save the money and use it wisely to plug holes.   One of our team strengths right now is strength down the middle, and hope that both Horvat and Miller will re-sign with us at reasonable deals.   Those two together absolutely have better value then one player.   Said on your thread that i see the logic as we'd be following COL path in a way...when they traded Barrie and Duchene.    Eichel would replace Miller basically, and who replaces Horvat?  We'd have to spend 16 million for the pair (Eichel plus Horvat or Miller's replacement).   Also EP will get better but man he's sheltered in the dot.   Also feel like Patrick Kane, he'd be better off on the wing if he's ever going to get to his max production.    We for sure shouldn't have to add.    

18 hours ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

What about Pettersson and Hughes straight up for Eichel and Dahlin?

To be honest I'd do it, Eichel is the kind of top line center who can carry you through the playoffs, whereas I have concerns with Petey's consistency and defensive game. Hughes looks like he can produce more offence than Dahlin which evens up the deal a bit more.

Right now we're sinking or swimming with our young core and now we're sinking because of Petey's slow start, Hughes' bad defence not to mention some other bad performances. Boeser and Bo have been brilliant but for me, Eichel is the perfect all-around center and while I love Petey, he isn't as complete, and may never be, as Eichel.

This is a little better.   Still i'm fine with working with our young core and seeing where it goes.   Don't like 10 million for one player, at least until the cap gets to 100 or so million.   Too much. 

On 3/30/2021 at 7:29 PM, grimmjaw said:

Why? Only because Eichel and Dahlin are at an all time low when it comes to their value while Petterson and Hughes are high (not all time high). Plus, I believe Eichel and Dahlin to be superior players on a bad team with bad management and leadership group

Isn't this counter intuitive given Eichel IS their leadership group?