The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid's nasty elbow

Rate this topic

Meh... a little dislike in games is good.   Did anyone (on our side) get worked up when Bure took out Churla?

That is the best part of the new schedule... sometimes teams are getting really annoyed with each other after playing a few games in a row.

When we go back to normal divisional play, I hope they keep the baseball style series where we play 2-4 games in a row against an opponent.

Edited by Provost
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Top Sven Baercheese said:

Goes out of the way to elbow Kotk in the head. Do you think this is worthy of a suspension? 

suspension?  That's what we're calling nasty these days?  Two mins was perfectly fine

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1
  • Huggy Bear 1

Intentional targeting of the head with elbow. Heck, why not just karate chop him in the face with a stick, is it any different? It was behind the play, puck long gone. 1-2 games I'd expect for most other players. Instead it won't even be reviewed. In the spirit of preventing sport injury and health and safety of players, this play demands more than 2 min in the box imo.

He's been taking lessons from the dirtiest oiler ever....Messier.

He should get a minimum 2 games, as it's a 'first' offence.

$5000 is a joke. 

Edited by grumpyone

53 minutes ago, goalie13 said:

wow thats a joke. Just reverse the players and you know what this would be.

Ah well, "best player ever" and all that. Even though he stinks in his own end and I guess now gets away with elbows to the head. Gotta love the NHL. 

• Cheers 1

Given the numerous checks to the numbers that caused injury and went unpunished this year, I'm not surprised there's no suspension. It's currently open season, brought to you by the NHL. If it was the other way around there would still be no suspension. 

• Cheers 1

44 minutes ago, 6of1_halfdozenofother said:

Considering Aaron Rome got far more punishment for far less of an intentional hit and which was far less late than this one - par for the course.

It's bad enough with "game management".  If they wanted to be consistent (using Rome as a starting point), he should have gotten 2 for elbowing ("roughing"?  psh, preferential treatment already), 10 / game misconduct, plus an in-person hearing with additional minimum 5 games suspension.

But nope, can't have the star players sit out, 'cuz the fans won't buy tickets otherwise... wait what tickets?  :picard:

Yeah, I was laughing about the "roughing" call too. Couldn't have been a more obvious elbow. 

I was reading a reddit thread and someone mentioned that for someone making 100K a year, that's $40. I'll pay $40 to elbow some coworkers. 

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, Provost said:

Meh... a little dislike in games is good.   Did anyone (on our side) get worked up when Bure took out Churla?

That is the best part of the new schedule... sometimes teams are getting really annoyed with each other after playing a few games in a row.

When we go back to normal divisional play, I hope they keep the baseball style series where we play 2-4 games in a row against an opponent.

Doesn't matter what the fans think.  It's about the player's safety.  Kotkaniemi could have been seriously injured.

Deliberate and dangerous play.  $5000 is nothing to these mult-million $ players.

3 game suspension would make an effective statement about these dangerous hits; especially when they are obviously deliberate.

• Cheers 1

The one part of this I really don't like is that the maximum is not done as a percentage of the player's salary.  $5K to McDavid is a much smaller hit than $5K to someone making the league minimum.  I know the penalty is baked into the CBA, but they should base it on the league minimum salary and then prorate it upwards for those that make more.

McDavid's salary this year is $14M, so the $5K penalty, adjusted would be $100K.