The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid's nasty elbow

Rate this topic

Just now, IBatch said:

That's a problem too, no argument or debate there. 

If the Rome hit is a 4 game suspension due to Horton faking a concussion, than this should be more.  Elbow to the head and even later.  Just because McDiver can't deliver it properly doesn't mean it's ok for him to keep pulling this garbage.  Looking forward to seeing how tough he is when Shea Weber drops the mitts with him and forces him to at least attempt to be a man.

1 minute ago, IBatch said:

Yep.   The fact it was too many vowels was a bonus.   Man hockey is razor close to becoming women's hockey or 80's-90's all-star game stuff already.   Not a thread worthy discussion other from that exact point.    Howe elbowed guys, Messier elbowed guys, so did a ton of other guys, took their two minutes and that was it.    About as ridiculous as half of Wilson's suspensions.  Hockey is supposed to be rough.   McDavid elbowed someone at it makes the news (for real like whoopie).   Move on nothing to see here. 

There is a difference between playing hard and rough and maybe crossing the line and getting 2 mins, I’m fine with that, but targeting the head especially after everything we know about head injuries these days is suspension worthy.

just because it wasn’t a big deal back in the day doesn’t mean it isn’t a big deal today. Knowledge changes, standards change and the game is different 

• Upvote 1

Just now, King Heffy said:

If the Rome hit is a 4 game suspension due to Horton faking a concussion, than this should be more.  Elbow to the head and even later.  Just because McDiver can't deliver it properly doesn't mean it's ok for him to keep pulling this garbage.  Looking forward to seeing how tough he is when Shea Weber drops the mitts with him and forces him to at least attempt to be a man.

Props for being a fan.  Norton hears a who already had concussion issues.   And i agree it was a clean hit if that's what your inferring.   It's not Rome's fault he woke them up.   IMO it was a good clean hit but i'm biased too.   What i'm reading from this is that McDavid sucks at elbowing, because he didn't do it right, and that the league fined him for that.  Weber fighting McDavid lol, never going to happen.   Because Lucic is one of the only throwbacks left, and even he's at best an average throwback.    This league is nothing like it used to be.   Soon licking people will result in a suspension (too early?)  Or hitting.   Come on Heffy you can do better then that. 

• Cheers 1

7 minutes ago, UKNuck96 said:

There is a difference between playing hard and rough and maybe crossing the line and getting 2 mins, I’m fine with that, but targeting the head especially after everything we know about head injuries these days is suspension worthy.

just because it wasn’t a big deal back in the day doesn’t mean it isn’t a big deal today. Knowledge changes, standards change and the game is different 

I'm aware of that.   Doesn't mean  that people need to freak out when it happens either.    It happened a lot before.   I don't want anyone to get hurt, that's sadistic, but there should be a balance in the sport and we are very very close right now, to going too far.   And as far as entertainment value goes, that went out the window shortly after salary disclosure.  It's still the best sport on planet earth,  but i'm amazed at how things have changed.   Can say, the moment fighting is banned i won't watch it anymore.    Careful for what you wish for on this topic, there needs to be folks like me or fans like me or whatever holding the line.   Cherry is gone, Burke won't be around forever, and i do honestly fear for the sport given that the generations playing now haven't had to stick up for themselves, nor do they have a big brother protecting them anymore (enforcers).   For three decades you could literally fight your way into the league.   The zebras have never done a good job, and never will. 

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Props for being a fan.  Norton hears a who already had concussion issues.   And i agree it was a clean hit if that's what your inferring.   It's not Rome's fault he woke them up.   IMO it was a good clean hit but i'm biased too.   What i'm reading from this is that McDavid sucks at elbowing, because he didn't do it right, and that the league fined him for that.  Weber fighting McDavid lol, never going to happen.   Because Lucic is one of the only throwbacks left, and even he's at best an average throwback.    This league is nothing like it used to be.   Soon licking people will result in a suspension (too early?)  Or hitting.   Come on Heffy you can do better then that. 

Lucic only fights when someone gives him a clean hit and he can't take it like a man, and he isn't even on the Soilers anymore.  Weber can just start punching McNuggets in the face and it's up to that gutless coward as to whether or not he mans up and defends himself.  Either way, if the league won't take McDiver out for a few games, the Canadiens need to hold him accountable and put him on a liquid diet.  He is not Gretzky and needs to face consequences for his cheapshots.

Edited by King Heffy
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

Lucic only fights when someone gives him a clean hit and he can't take it like a man, and he isn't even on the Soilers anymore.  Weber can just start punching McNuggets in the face and it's up to that gutless coward as to whether or not he mans up and defends himself.  Either way, if the league won't take McDiver out for a few games, the Canadiens need to hold him accountable and put him on a liquid diet.  He is not Gretzky and needs to face consequences for his cheapshots.

That's pretty funny thanks.   Agree Lucic is a gigantic pussy (ok not that big just a pussy, first time he fought an actual enforcer and started to lose he called the refs in to save him and hasn't lived it down since).    McDavid isn't Gretzky - nobody is or ever will be, the most dominant athlete in all pro sports history, grew up watching him and you've got that right.   McDavid is like Stastny or Hawerchuk back then, the next best, at least until Mario came into the picture.  That said he's the face of the league, like it or not. 

Edit:  If you noticed, i didn't mean to contradict myself by saying if Weber went  after McDavid, then he'd have to face Lucic, who's a throwback, who i just called a gigantic pussy because he is, because  when enforcers still existed he  would only drop against the mediocre ones occasionally.   Not like Odjick.  Or even McAllister.   Am i the only one that sees this?, does anyone else get it?   Part of hockey's soul has shriveled up and died the last 5-7 years. 

Edited by IBatch

9 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's pretty funny thanks.   Agree Lucic is a gigantic pussy (ok not that big just a pussy, first time he fought an actual enforcer and started to lose he called the refs in to save him and hasn't lived it down since).    McDavid isn't Gretzky - nobody is or ever will be, the most dominant athlete in all pro sports history, grew up watching him and you've got that right.   McDavid is like Stastny or Hawerchuk back then, the next best, at least until Mario came into the picture.  That said he's the face of the league, like it or not. 

Edit:  If you noticed, i didn't mean to contradict myself by saying by saying of Weber when after McDavid, then he'd have to face Lucic, who's a throwback, who i just called a gigantic pussy because he is and when enforcers still existed would only drop against the mediocre ones.   Not like Odjick.  Or even McAllister.   Am i all one on this one, does anyone else get it?   Part of hockey's soul has shriveled up and died the last 5-7 years.   

I agree, although I think the code truly died when Bert gave Moore what he had coming to him.  We're in an awkward middle ground where the players aren't holding each other accountable, and the league hasn't cleaned up the corruption enough to do the job either.  Sadly, this likely doesn't get solved until the NHL is a defendant in court for someone getting badly hurt.

3 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

I agree, although I think the code truly died when Bert gave Moore what he had coming to him.  We're in an awkward middle ground where the players aren't holding each other accountable, and the league hasn't cleaned up the corruption enough to do the job either.  Sadly, this likely doesn't get solved until the NHL is a defendant in court for someone getting badly hurt.

Long ago in an NHL far, far away the enforcer on a team would get pissed off at a teammate for going out of his way to do something as cheap and stupid as what McD did. Now he knew that he was going to have to fight the biggest goof on the other team whether he felt up to it that night or was already playing with an injury or had already had a fight or two.

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, 4petesake said:

Long ago in an NHL far, far away the enforcer on a team would get pissed off at a teammate for going out of his way to do something as cheap and stupid as what McD did. Now he knew that he was going to have to fight the biggest goof on the other team whether he felt up to it that night or was already playing with an injury or had already had a fight or two.

Yes your are correct.   Some actually loved to fight and would do it as often as possible (Tony Twist leads the pack, said the rush was better then heroine or sex or anything you could imagine,  Domi too), a ton of guys used to do it because it is/was part of the game (it's pretty sad when you look at the list of power forwards that used to play in this league, and try and compare them to what we have now.  Geoff Courtnall never approached that class but would probably feed JV his lunch),  now there really hasn't been a great fight in five or more years.   It's pathetic really.   

• Cheers 1

2 hours ago, King Heffy said:

Code is still there and Moore had nothing to do with it.   The code is dying a little because players no longer have to fight their way into the league, and because there is no longer a big brother.   A lot worse things have happened then what Bertuzzi did.   Just have to go back a ways to find the incidents.    To me at least, pre expansion and enforcer, every player on the team was expected to man UP and fight their own battles.   Problem is nobody is brought up that way anymore, and there isn't a big brother to do it for you anymore either - and yes it's an issue.   Zebras have never done a good job of policing.   Game has changed.    No red line no icing,visors mandatory, helmets mandatory etc.   Code is also mandatory, that part hasn't changed, players don't respect it the same way either, skating by saying hi during warm-ups for example. 

Edited by IBatch

7 minutes ago, EastVanCanuck said:

The Petersson accidentally not on purpose take down that caused Elias' injury.  Kids a weasel.  

Buuutttt I get he needs to play like that for his two way game.  He has to realize the code will be honoured.  

You mean the takedown thst Green, Sutter and most importantly Pettersson all said was an innocent play? That take down?  Pettersson admitted that he tried to do a reverse check and they got awkwardly tangled up.  Kotkaniemi even apologized to him after the game.  

There was nothing dirty about that play or how he conducted himself.  In return he got death threats from Canuck fans on his Instagram. 

Canucks’ Elias Pettersson says Kotkaniemi play ‘wasn’t a dirty play’

Sportsnet StaffJanuary 4, 2019, 6:54 PM

Vancouver Canucks rookie sensation Elias Pettersson says the awkward collision between him and Jesperi Kotkaniemi was an honest accident and that there was no malicious intent behind the way the Montreal Canadiens forward hauled him down.

“He hooked my leg a little bit – I was going to reverse him or stop him – and it was an accident,” Pettersson told Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos as part of a wider-ranging one-on-one interview. “We got tangled up, we both fell down and I got in an awkward position. It wasn’t a dirty play or anything. He apologized afterwards, which shows good sportsmanship from him. So it was really just unlucky for me and it’s nothing too serious.””

Edited by qwijibo

14 hours ago, IBatch said:

LOL.   It's just an elbow to the head.  With a handle like grinder, you'd think this wouldn't bother you. 

Ya an elbow to the head  which  is a head shot which the nhl is supposely cracking down on in todays game   if any other player did that  they would be getting a suspension ,   ps i have problem with chicken sh@t cheap shots, if McDavid was mad/ frustrated , he should of dropped the gloves instead, like a grinder would of 

• Cheers 1

On 3/31/2021 at 1:07 AM, khay said:

What brought that on? 

Kotkaniemi isn't really the type to get under someone's skin.no?

Kotkaniemi injured EP40 in his rookie season. He has a knack for getting in the grill of star players and sometimes hurting them. I’ve got no issue with Stars “sharpening their elbows” to protect themselves from players like this. 

2 hours ago, reyezone said:

Kotkaniemi injured EP40 in his rookie season. He has a knack for getting in the grill of star players and sometimes hurting them. I’ve got no issue with Stars “sharpening their elbows” to protect themselves from players like this. 

Pettersson was injured on a clean play when he tried doing a reverse check on Kotkaniemi and they both went down awkwardly.  Name  another star player  he’s supposedly injured. It’s ridiculous how much some fans over reacted to that play. He even got death threats from Vancouver fans despite the fact that Green, Sutter and Pettersson all said it was an innocent play gone wrong.