The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

McDavid's nasty elbow

Rate this topic

17 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Pettersson was injured on a clean play when he tried doing a reverse check on Kotkaniemi and they both went down awkwardly.  Name  another star player  he’s supposedly injured. It’s ridiculous how much some fans over reacted to that play. He even got death threats from Vancouver fans despite the fact that Green, Sutter and Pettersson all said it was an innocent play gone wrong. 

Wasn't clean. Your recounting is inaccurate. 

Kotkaniemi tangled up Peterson behind the net, continued to hound him up ice and borderline slew footed him down. EP went down awkwardly, Kotkaniemi came down on his knee and sustained an injury. EP and the rest of the fans of skilled entertaining hockey got lucky as this injury could have been much worse.

Kotkaniemi injured him with a careless, unnecessary and dirty play. End of story. 

... Furthermore, If a star player goes out of there way to lay an elbow on someone at risk of suspension you can be sure said player had it coming. 

The Canucks were simply using decorum when addressing this incident publicly and ultimately time will tell how Kotkaniemi's career and reputation evolve- it may be the best thing for him to have that bully Claude Julien not influencing his style of play any longer because, truthfully,  I love him as a player.

Edited by reyezone
spelling error
  • Cheers 1

4 hours ago, reyezone said:

Wasn't clean. Your recounting is inaccurate. 

Kotkaniemi tangled up Peterson behind the net, continued to hound him up ice and borderline slew footed him down. EP went down awkwardly, Kotkaniemi came down on his knee and sustained an injury. EP and the rest of the fans of skilled entertaining hockey got lucky as this injury could have been much worse.

Kotkaniemi injured him with a careless, unnecessary and dirty play. End of story. 

... Furthermore, If a star player goes out of there way to lay an elbow on someone at risk of suspension you can be sure said player had it coming. 

The Canucks were simply using decorum when addressing this incident publicly and ultimately time will tell how Kotkaniemi's career and reputation evolve- it may be the best thing for him to have that bully Claude Julien not influencing his style of play any longer because, truthfully,  I love him as a player.

Lol decorum? Really?  How often do you see everyone on the team if an injured star come out and say the opposing player didn’t do anything wrong?  It was an unfortunate post to be sure, but not dirty.  Also. With regards to McDavid, Montreal has shut him down all season snd he pulled a crybaby dirty play.  He’s been suspended for throwing an elbow at someone’s head before.  Kotkaniemi, on the other hand, has never been called to answer to the DOPS. So which one of them has the rep as a dirty player?  

1 hour ago, qwijibo said:

Lol decorum? Really?  How often do you see everyone on the team if an injured star come out and say the opposing player didn’t do anything wrong?  It was an unfortunate post to be sure, but not dirty.  Also. With regards to McDavid, Montreal has shut him down all season snd he pulled a crybaby dirty play.  He’s been suspended for throwing an elbow at someone’s head before.  Kotkaniemi, on the other hand, has never been called to answer to the DOPS. So which one of them has the rep as a dirty player?  

What we are not privy to is the “death by 1000 cuts” that great players are subjected. Everybody notices when a star goes swinging there stick like Rocket or Sid slashing some dolty Dmans finger off. Or the Russian Rocket taking a run at Churla and hitting him with an elbow that would have seen him suspended 50 games by modern standards. But they miss the hundreds if not thousands of targeted short cross checks to the low back and ribs that offensive players who control the puck are assaulted with. I agree with Big Bert when, in an interview after EP was injured by the scrappy young Fin, he advised that Peterson learn to “sharpen his elbows” and create space for himself.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m in favour of great players defending themselves so that we as fans can enjoy watching them have a long career and not be cut short by plugs and grinders picking a spot. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, reyezone said:

What we are not privy to is the “death by 1000 cuts” that great players are subjected. Everybody notices when a star goes swinging there stick like Rocket or Sid slashing some dolty Dmans finger off. Or the Russian Rocket taking a run at Churla and hitting him with an elbow that would have seen him suspended 50 games by modern standards. But they miss the hundreds if not thousands of targeted short cross checks to the low back and ribs that offensive players who control the puck are assaulted with. I agree with Big Bert when, in an interview after EP was injured by the scrappy young Fin, he advised that Peterson learn to “sharpen his elbows” and create space for himself.

I guess what I’m saying is I’m in favour of great players defending themselves so that we as fans can enjoy watching them have a long career and not be cut short by plugs and grinders picking a spot. 

My issue is your statement that your ok with McDavid sharpening his elbows against “players like this”. Like somehow Kotkaniemi is a dirty player.  A lot of Vancouver fans have a vendetta against the kid because of the Pettersson injury despite Petterrson saying it wasn’t a dirty play 

Also. Are you calling Kotkaniemi a plug? Lol 

Edited by qwijibo

14 hours ago, qwijibo said:

My issue is your statement that your ok with McDavid sharpening his elbows against “players like this”. Like somehow Kotkaniemi is a dirty player.  A lot of Vancouver fans have a vendetta against the kid because of the Pettersson injury despite Petterrson saying it wasn’t a dirty play 

Also. Are you calling Kotkaniemi a plug? Lol 

McDavid is one of the greatest players to ever play the game of hockey. He is literally on the Mt Rushmore of all time greats. Kotkaniemi might as well be Darcy Tucker by comparison with 97. I have no vendetta and have said I love Kotkaniemi. Ultimately time will tell what kind of player he is... all I’m saying is that where there is smoke there is fire. I have noticed JT going real hard at Kotkaniemi earlier this year in a scrum after the play. I have noticed him injure EP40. I noticed CM97 elbow him in the head. Though certainly not a plug, I suspect he is doing something to garner this attention outside of simply playing strong shutdown hockey, which he certainly does.  But like I said, time will tell. 

2 minutes ago, reyezone said:

McDavid is one of the greatest players to ever play the game of hockey. He is literally on the Mt Rushmore of all time greats. Kotkaniemi might as well be Darcy Tucker by comparison with 97. I have no vendetta and have said I love Kotkaniemi. Ultimately time will tell what kind of player he is... all I’m saying is that where there is smoke there is fire. I have noticed JT going real hard at Kotkaniemi earlier this year in a scrum after the play. I have noticed him injure EP40. I noticed CM97 elbow him in the head. Though certainly not a plug, I suspect he is doing something to garner this attention outside of simply playing strong shutdown hockey, which he certainly does.  But like I said, time will tell. 

umm.. you're a little soon to be saying that. 

13 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

I hope Weber absolutely pastes McDavid with a clean hit tonight 

Same, although I don't really care if it's clean.  Send that gutless crybaby off the ice on a stretcher and do the NHL's job for them by making him miss some games.

The guy he elbowed is a dirty player.

If the league won’t protect stars I’m ok with the stars  taking matters into there own hands or elbows Even flying helmets . 
With goons/enforcers and fighting gone it’s  been rise of the 180 pound cheap shot 4th liner.

1 minute ago, combover said:

If the league won’t protect stars I’m ok with the stars  taking matters into there own hands or elbows Even flying helmets . 
With goons/enforcers and fighting gone it’s  been rise of the 180 pound cheap shot 4th liner.

McDiver is a way dirtier player than Kotkaneimi, and cries like a baby any time he takes a clean hit.  NHL needs to protect all their players and tell McNuggets that it's time to cut the gutless crap out and start playing like a man.  The best way to get McCoward to stop pulling that crap is for Weber to drop the mitts and beat the living **** out of that entitled turd.

20 minutes ago, combover said:

Kotkaniemi is not a dirty player.  

16 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Kotkaniemi is not a dirty player.  

Your opinion would hold more weight if you were not the only person saying that.

Plus your obvious love of Montreal  leads many to think you are showing bias; something fans are prone to do.

24 minutes ago, gurn said:

Your opinion would hold more weight if you were not the only person saying that.

Plus your obvious love of Montreal  leads many to think you are showing bias; something fans are prone to do.

Find me examples of how’s he dirty beyond the Pettersson incident (deemed an innocent play by Pettersson, Sutter, Green) 

19 minutes ago, qwijibo said:

Find me examples of how’s he dirty beyond the Pettersson incident (deemed an innocent play by Pettersson, Sutter, Green) 

Not me, I'm not saying he's dirty, nor am I saying he isn't; just saying that you seem to be the only one saying he isn't, and you are obviously a Montreal fan.

So, biased; not to worry though, many here are Canuck fans and will show similar bias.

As to what players say about hits they've taken, I believe after the Bertuzzi/Moore injury players and teams are a lot more careful of what they say.

On 4/5/2021 at 5:57 PM, 4petesake said:

This is kind of long but Juice’s comments come at about 7 minutes.

Just like the eroding integrity in the officiating, player accountability seems to no longer exist - WWE NHL.  Sad to see the game erode...

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

On 4/2/2021 at 6:23 AM, the grinder said:

Ya an elbow to the head  which  is a head shot which the nhl is supposely cracking down on in todays game   if any other player did that  they would be getting a suspension ,   ps i have problem with chicken sh@t cheap shots, if McDavid was mad/ frustrated , he should of dropped the gloves instead, like a grinder would of 

Yes it was a cheap shot but the amount of air time it got is a little over the top.   And you got me there, won't disagree with that.