The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Thatcher Demko

2 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Somehow Judd Brackett will get credit for this hahaha 

Clearly he helped out over Zoom with help from the new GM Frank's already hired, as clearly he's not allowing Jim to sign anything or make any trades etc.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

Clearly he helped out over Zoom with help from the new GM Frank's already hired, as clearly he's not allowing Jim to sign anything or make any trades etc.

the terms should be very interesting. Buying into 3 UFA years tho, thats really a solid move. I wonder what it cost in bonuses? 

4 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I agree that there’s a bit of risk involved, especially considering he’s a goalie. But I feel like this is a tiny gamble that could have a potentially huge payout. Time will tell I suppose. All Demmer has done for the last year is improve so I’m hopeful. 

some risk, yes, but he's been a dominant goalie at every level he's played at, so I think the risk is very small.

• Cheers 3

7 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

I agree that there’s a bit of risk involved, especially considering he’s a goalie. But I feel like this is a tiny gamble that could have a potentially huge payout. Time will tell I suppose. All Demmer has done for the last year is improve so I’m hopeful. 

There’s no science with goalies - it’s so hard to predict. They didn’t really have a good bridge option with Thatcher’s free agency coming up in two years so this makes sense. At this price, I think the long term gamble on Thatcher is a good one as it’s pretty in line with what goalies of his experience get. 

They need some consistency with Clark though. Bobrovsky and Markstrom fell off without him. If they retain Clark, the value of this Demko contract increases substantially because there’s a big risky variable being mitigated. 

My personal guess a few weeks back was 5MMx6Y... so this is in line with that.

Edited by Tom Sestito
  • Cheers 2

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

some risk, yes, but he's been a dominant goalie at every level he's played at, so I think the risk is very small.

plus the cap hit for goalies (post-Holtby) should be well under 10% of the total cap. We should be able to land a solid backup, or DiPietro, for well under 3aav. 

• Cheers 2
  • Vintage 1