The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Thatcher Demko

1 hour ago, KirkSave said:

Holtby's play has made that 2 year deal a hot button issue but really it was a good idea for insurance as Demko's sample size as a starter, prior to this year was wanting, hence the Holtby deal. Jim is doing a good job overall and seems to be learning from his past errors which is to his credit methinks.

We will soon see if he is learning from his mistakes. No one is rooting for that more than me. The Holtby signing - which is awfully expensive insurance - seemed reactionary to losing Markstrom, the fiasco of chasing OEL and subsequently running out of time to try to keep Toffoli, Tanev, etc., an inability to move bad contracts, reports of currently planning to re-sign Pearson, etc. He has a lot of work to do to prove he is learning from his mistakes.

If he re-signs any pending UFA it needs to be for much better cap hits and term than he has given previously.

2 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here is a more detailed look at the numbers:

Good call by the Canucks for holding back money. Safe bet the ticket revenue will be piss poor (if any) next year.

Edited by coryberg

28 minutes ago, coryberg said:

Good call by the Canucks for holding back money. Safe bet the ticket revenue will be piss poor (if any) next year.

I’m sure hockey starved fans will fill the stadium next season. Everyone who wants to would be vaccinated by then and ownership couldn’t need it more after bleeding out these last 2 years! 

• Vintage 1

3 hours ago, KirkSave said:

Holtby for Ghost? Philly retains 1 mill per season. This pipe dream could work and then we could expose him and seattle could take him if we chose not to protect him. Could be some insurance too if Edler doesn't come back plus I doubt we resign Benn.

We still need one goalie to expose.

5 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

We will soon see if he is learning from his mistakes. No one is rooting for that more than me. The Holtby signing - which is awfully expensive insurance - seemed reactionary to losing Markstrom, the fiasco of chasing OEL and subsequently running out of time to try to keep Toffoli, Tanev, etc., an inability to move bad contracts, reports of currently planning to re-sign Pearson, etc. He has a lot of work to do to prove he is learning from his mistakes.

If he re-signs any pending UFA it needs to be for much better cap hits and term than he has given previously.

Think it was fair to sign Holtby to cover for Demko. It's only for 2 years, and if Demko hadn't been ready to carry the load, there would be an experienced net milder taking charge. It worked well for the Markstrom/Miller duo.... That Holtby turned out to be a sieve, was not part of the plan obviously. Luckily Demko has been lights out...

• Vintage 1

11 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

And that will be a good window for the club to see if MDP is a legit NHL goalie. I’m proud of how this franchise has moved on from the goalie graveyard in a big way. A streak that goes:Luongo,Schneider,Lack,

Miller,Markstrom,Demko and MDP. 15 seasons of stable goaltending. Deep in net, now just have to hope we keep Ian Clark.

Yes.   When we traded for Luongo it's the second time i've cheered when acquiring a player (first was Al-Mo).   Seemed like for years the TV was an endless highlight reel of saves coming up from Florida.    After McLean, and especially since his heroics in the early 90's, we hadn't seen great goaltending in a long time...goalie graveyard days got comical (Potvin and Burke were actually big names, only Bob Essensa was decent - when your chanting for "back-up Bob" you know something is off).     Since Luongo it's been mostly smooth sailing on that front.   Demko looks like he's the very first home grown goalie to do anything in franchise history too.   Wow. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 2

12 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

Very good deal. Love the 5 years. 5 mill per is great value.

He'll be 30 and UFA when it expires. Hopefully has a couple of Cups and can go get Price and Bobrovsky type big money deal in a different market.

Now get EP and Hughes done 8 yrs 7 mill per year each.

Like those prices and feel for term they are fair.    Figured Demko would get a 4 x 3 deal but this one makes more sense for the team, a small gamble.   Demko won't hesitate to play to the best of his abilities given the type of money coming up when this deals done...Anderson in TO had a little longer sample size given his time in ANA and got a similar deal a few years ago...should work out well for both sides in the end. 

• Cheers 1

11 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Perhaps. Could have possibly done things differently as well. 

Also weren’t you in agreement of Roussel/Beagle being 1 year too much. I thought I remembered you stating that somewhere but I am uncertain of that. Not that it matters anyway. 

Like I said the end results are what ultimately . Even if COVID didn’t happened we’d still be feeling the effects of these contracts for the next couple years till these contracts are almost all gone. 

Virtanen had 1 breakout season. I would have pushed for just a single season like they did with Gaudette(who did have no RFA rights however). 

It is what it is though. Can’t afford anymore of these contracts though I don’t expect us to have cap to sign a significant UFA till the core is locked up and the contracts we have expire. 

Shouldn't worry too much about JV yet, when fans get back into the seats and he's playing infront of his entourage half the time i expect his production to go back to normal (lol ok that's a joke ... kind of).      Also don't see us going after a UFA upgrade until next season is over.   There is a path to signing Hamilton but that's a pipe dream.   Has to want to come here.    After him there isn't really anyone worth going after unless Hall takes a major discount.   RNH ... well maybe i guess but again depends on term.  

Would prefer to save some cap and go with what we have.   Hamonic maybe should be brought back on a Benn type deal.   No thanks to Barrie, don't need him, QHs is a better PP QH already and that's his usefulness in a nutshell.   

Sutter would be fine if the cap makes sense and the idea is to have him replace Beagle long term.      Denault would be an upgrade on Sutter - he's reportedly turned down a 6$ x 5 offer in 
MTL and RNH EDM have reportedly put a 7$ cap on him ... do we really want to beat these numbers?   No thanks. 

There are plenty of stop gaps available.   Getzlaf ... maybe that would work.   I don't know.  

7 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

Not sure why you're looking at the Holtby signing as expensive insurance/reactionary to losing Markstrom? I thought it was clear that he was being signed to meet the minimum exposure requirements for the upcoming expansion draft (i.e. every team must expose 1 goalie at minimum). 

Edited by KoreanHockeyFan
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

8 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Here is a more detailed look at the numbers:

not that you'd want to do all of them, but that contract is good from all angles, for the team, player, buyout or trade. 

• Vintage 3

39 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

not that you'd want to do all of them, but that contract is good from all angles, for the team, player, buyout or trade. 

Assuming Benning has learned his lesson from some of his bad signings, I think the Canucks are in pretty good shape in a few years once contracts like Roussel, Sutter, etc are off the books. I honestly believe we'll be in the same realm of the Leafs and the OIlers in the near future - just need some defencemen like Juolevi and/or Rathbone to pan out. 

That being said, I'm still expecting another couple of years of 1 step forward, 2 steps back - not out of the woods yet. 

• Vintage 1

10 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

This is a pretty silly take. It wasn't reactionary at all. He had a goalie with almost zero NHL experience and he backed him up with a proven goalie on a short term contract for decent money. Absolute rubbish here. The rest is foolish too except I also hope we don't give Pearson anything. :bored:

Edited by Gawdzukes
  • Vintage 1

3 hours ago, IBatch said:

Shouldn't worry too much about JV yet, when fans get back into the seats and he's playing infront of his entourage half the time i expect his production to go back to normal (lol ok that's a joke ... kind of).      Also don't see us going after a UFA upgrade until next season is over.   There is a path to signing Hamilton but that's a pipe dream.   Has to want to come here.    After him there isn't really anyone worth going after unless Hall takes a major discount.   RNH ... well maybe i guess but again depends on term.  

Would prefer to save some cap and go with what we have.   Hamonic maybe should be brought back on a Benn type deal.   No thanks to Barrie, don't need him, QHs is a better PP QH already and that's his usefulness in a nutshell.   

Sutter would be fine if the cap makes sense and the idea is to have him replace Beagle long term.      Denault would be an upgrade on Sutter - he's reportedly turned down a 6$ x 5 offer in 
MTL and RNH EDM have reportedly put a 7$ cap on him ... do we really want to beat these numbers?   No thanks. 

There are plenty of stop gaps available.   Getzlaf ... maybe that would work.   I don't know.  

We could still use a higher end top 6 forward. Danault or RNH would be nice but we can't afford that. I'm not really aboard the re-sign Pearson train unless he drops down to the third line. I wouldn't want to pay more than 2 x $3 but I'm afraid he's getting a 4 x $4.5. That would be frustrating for my view of the cap but maybe Benning knows something I don't.

I'd rather sign a Hoffman for 2 years as a stop gap until Podz, Lind, or another UFA becomes available.

Edited by Gawdzukes