The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Thatcher Demko

3 minutes ago, aGENT said:

For all we know, inking this extension is what has been holding up Clark's.

no kidding. "who am I working with" is kind of a big question for a guy that works with 3 people. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

I am surprised by the term.  I was expecting a 2-3 year bridge deal for less dollars.  Goaltending is a fickle position, it many guys maintain a great level of play for long periods of time, so there is certainly risk.... especially if an Ian Clark signing isn’t also forthcoming.

Having said that, there is so much potential upside, that it would be tough not to make this deal.  If Demko plays like playoff Demko and the way he has played the last month or so... we could have a regular Vezina finalist for the price of a mid-range starter.

It also helps put a cap on Petterson and Hughes contracts since there is less money to go around now (and with more than $9 million set aside for the goalie position next year).  Savvy to do it that way.

I now fully expect Holtby to be traded or bought out once expansion is done.

Always risky but he's proven himself enough to deserve some term. The chance of Demko becoming a Hart-esque goalie is pretty slim now - he's played well in the playoffs and in the regular season pretty consistently now.

One domino down but some big ones to fall still...

Just now, aGENT said:

Dekmo only re-signs for 1 year, does Clark want to commit to 3? Probably not.

yup. So now well see. Certainly helps Clarke make his choice. 

Great news tho, good for Jim. I'm a little scared to see the Pearson deal... but this gives me hope. 

6 minutes ago, Provost said:

I am surprised by the term.  I was expecting a 2-3 year bridge deal for less dollars.  Goaltending is a fickle position, it many guys maintain a great level of play for long periods of time, so there is certainly risk.... especially if an Ian Clark signing isn’t also forthcoming.

Having said that, there is so much potential upside, that it would be tough not to make this deal.  If Demko plays like playoff Demko and the way he has played the last month or so... we could have a regular Vezina finalist for the price of a mid-range starter.

It also helps put a cap on Petterson and Hughes contracts since there is less money to go around now (and with more than $9 million set aside for the goalie position next year).  Savvy to do it that way.

I now fully expect Holtby to be traded or bought out once expansion is done.

Jim's betting on a solid person. Kid isn't a flake in the least. 

I didn't consider a Holtby buyout, but you're right its a massive savings year 1 with only a 500k cap hit. Year 2 is a bit steep at 1.9 but they may need to do this for cash flow needs. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/braden-holtby#results

Edited by Jimmy McGill

Just now, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's betting on a solid person. Kid isn't a flake in the least. 

I didn't consider a Holtby buyout, but you're right its a massive savings year 1 with only a 500k cap hit. Year 2 is a bit steep at 1.9 but they may need to do this for cash flow needs. 

I don't think anyone suggested he was a flake.  The position has such small margins of error that guys lose their technique and fall off all the time... even the most highly touted players.  There are a lot of guys with a couple of amazing years and then their play took a massive tumble, a lot more than names like Luongo who had a decade or more of high end play.  Do you remember superstars like Jim Carey, Rick DiPietro. Leighton, Scrivens, Huet, Jose Theodore, Hammond, etc, etc.  Heck Markstrom isn't a flake and was coming off a couple of Vezina calibre seasons bailing our team out.  He doesn't look too good at the moment.

There is no long term goalie signing that isn't a significant risk... it is the nature of the position.  

• Thanks 1
  • Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1