The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Thatcher Demko

1 minute ago, Provost said:

I don't think anyone suggested he was a flake.  The position has such small margins of error that guys lose their technique and fall off all the time... even the most highly touted players.  There are a lot of guys with a couple of amazing years and then their play took a massive tumble, a lot more than names like Luongo who had a decade or more of high end play.  Do you remember superstars like Jim Carey, Rick DiPietro. Leighton, Scrivens, Huet, Jose Theodore, Hammond, etc, etc.  Heck Markstrom isn't a flake and was coming off a couple of Vezina calibre seasons bailing our team out.  He doesn't look too good at the moment.

There is no long term goalie signing that isn't a significant risk... it is the nature of the position.  

fair enough, but I just don't get the same worried feeling I did when thinking about us giving Marky 6x6. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

This is a really good deal for both sides. Demko absolutely deserves to get paid and he's been shown confidence that he's the number 1 guy moving forward. No more question marks in net.

Notice how the negative media in this town didn't have the inside sources for this Demko deal? Their focus was pushing the Pearson narrative.

Edited by Dazzle

1 minute ago, iinatcc said:

So over 9 million total spent on Goaltending. Isn't this what Vancouver was trying to avoid back in 2012?

Thankfully Holtby just has one more year on that deal. Next season will be another cash strapped one but after that hopefully there's room to maneuver a bit. 

Will be interesting to see who they get as Demko's backup from next season onwards. I doubt Seattle will pick Holtby the way he's played so he's probably going to be our 4M backup next season and play 20 games (in a 82 game schedule) at least. 

Meanwhile, DiPietro is rusty and lost a year of development so I wonder, if/when Holtby does leave us, who JB will go out and get as a backup. There's not too many decent goalies coming into free agency in the next couple of years. I think Demko will be ready to become our starter whenever Holtby's done so we don't necessarily need an old veteran backup, just someone capable of 20-30 games and winning at least half of them would be nice.

42 minutes ago, Kenny Blankenship said:

Somehow Judd Brackett will get credit for this hahaha 

You're funny  :mellow:

No credit for his development, or his signing, but he may never have been here to sign if it wasn't for Brackett.

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/05/09/canucks-losing-judd-brackett-colossal-mistake/

Brackett has been a part of the Canucks since 2008, starting off as a scout primarily in the USHL and then getting the big promotion in 2015 to the director of amateur scouting. His expertise is in the States and is widely credited for drafting players from the NCAA like Brock Boeser, Thatcher Demko and Quinn Hughes.

While scouting is a team job that requires input from a bunch of different people, it’s no question that his experience with American players has played a huge role in the young American stars that the Canucks have been able to draft.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Very nice! By the end of the contract, we should know if DiPietro is an NHL caliber goalie or not. I don't think we could have done much better than this, either for $$$ or for term. If Demko keeps up his current caliber of play, he will be one of the best bargains in the NHL by year 4.

1 minute ago, DownUndaCanuck said:

Will be interesting to see who they get as Demko's backup from next season onwards. I doubt Seattle will pick Holtby the way he's played so he's probably going to be our 4M backup next season and play 20 games (in a 82 game schedule) at least. 

Meanwhile, DiPietro is rusty and lost a year of development so I wonder, if/when Holtby does leave us, who JB will go out and get as a backup. There's not too many decent goalies coming into free agency in the next couple of years. I think Demko will be ready to become our starter whenever Holtby's done so we don't necessarily need an old veteran backup, just someone capable of 20-30 games and winning at least half of them would be nice.

Already is?

It will be REALLY interesting to see how the cap gets worked out this summer.  We now have $61 million committed to 12 players, with our two biggest stars needing extensions.

That means unless money moves out, we need to keep the combined Petterson/Hughes contracts around $12 million, leaving an average of $1 million per remaining 8 players to get to just a 22 man roster.

Something will have to give.... goodbye Pearson for one.  Unless expansion rescues us by taking on Myers, or we use assets to trade money, it is a bad year next year to find well performing roster players for cheap.

Tryamkin - $2 million
Podkolzin - $1 million
Edler - $3 million
Lind - $900k
Rathbone - $900k
Hamonic - $2 million

Miller-Petterson-Boeser
Podkolzin-Horvat-Hoglander
Roussel-Gaudette-Virtanen
Motte-Beagle-Lind
MacEwan

Hughes-Hamonic
Edler-Schmidt
Juolevi-Myers
Rathbone-Tryamkin

Demko
Holtby

Edited by Provost

20 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

Jim's betting on a solid person. Kid isn't a flake in the least. 

I didn't consider a Holtby buyout, but you're right its a massive savings year 1 with only a 500k cap hit. Year 2 is a bit steep at 1.9 but they may need to do this for cash flow needs. 

https://www.capfriendly.com/buyout-calculator/braden-holtby#results

It looks like almost zero cap hit next year, and 2 mil the next year? Moneywise we'd lose a million or so over the duration if we signed a minimum $$ backup? 

Am I reading this right? If so it's a no brainer if pressed for cap space, and a heck of a convenient solution.

• Cheers 1

Just now, Dazzle said:

Terrible take, I'm sorry. Are you really going to find negatives about this deal? It's not about the amount, but the term. 5 years is a great term for both sides. Demko gets a nice payraise. The Canucks get to control the cap, knowing exactly how much money will be allocated to goaltending. Then they can spend the rest somewhere else.

So if you want to look at it from "9 million total spent on goaltending", that's a really strange and narrow minded way of looking at it.

Plus that 9 million combo is only for next year IF (and that's a big if) we keep Holtby for next year (he could be a valuable commodity next year at the TDL)

• Cheers 1

2 minutes ago, kilgore said:

You're funny  :mellow:

No credit for his development, or his signing, but he may never have been here to sign if it wasn't for Brackett.

https://thecanuckway.com/2020/05/09/canucks-losing-judd-brackett-colossal-mistake/

Brackett has been a part of the Canucks since 2008, starting off as a scout primarily in the USHL and then getting the big promotion in 2015 to the director of amateur scouting. His expertise is in the States and is widely credited for drafting players from the NCAA like Brock Boeser, Thatcher Demko and Quinn Hughes.

While scouting is a team job that requires input from a bunch of different people, it’s no question that his experience with American players has played a huge role in the young American stars that the Canucks have been able to draft.

But if that were the case, why did Demko re-sign with the Canucks? Why didn't he go somewhere else and demand a trade? Demko likes Vancouver for obvious reasons, with a big reason on stability here. He likes his teammates and the city.

Brackett no doubt deserves credit, but people are so disillusioned with Benning that they're taking away all his credit and splashing it over Brackett, for the sake of rationalizing their hate on the former.  That's hilariously bad.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1