The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Thatcher Demko

1 hour ago, 24K PureCool said:

I was thinking 4mill x 2 bridge, guess JB saw enough to go long on the Demko train. 

Either way pretty decent deal for both parties. 

I was pretty close to your numbers on a bridge, but if you look at it another way, that bridge would have taken him right to UFA years...........so

He would have had 2 X 4 plus a 6 X 6 or he would have done a Markstrom and walked..........so the average Cap hit over 8 years would have been..........

4 + 4 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6 + 6  = 44 divided by 8 = 5.5 over that time

Now he is 5 X 5 which allows the Cap to go up post Covid, where it might be a little easier to swallow ............I like it!

24 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

They will find a way to bash it. 

I am not a Benning basher. Not a fan of his though anddislike many of his contracts. But nothing to complain about with this deal. Fair market value for a starter, good term, and a good fit with the teams future cap. Could be a steal if Demko becomes that Vezina worthy guy we all hope he will but at worst it is good. Good signing imo.

Awesome value, he's out playing goalies who are being paid substantially more, and he's already shown that he can handle any pressure that is thrown his way.

Glad he's locked in for the next 5 years, gives us great stability in net and great cost certainty.

Now, let's get Hughes and Pettersson locked in for 7 x 7 :)

Very good deal. Love the 5 years. 5 mill per is great value.

He'll be 30 and UFA when it expires. Hopefully has a couple of Cups and can go get Price and Bobrovsky type big money deal in a different market.

Now get EP and Hughes done 8 yrs 7 mill per year each.

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, Junkyard Dog said:

JB has been pretty good with re-signing RFAs. It’s the UFAs that have been more of an issue. 

Not really.

Entirely different circumstances. Circumstances that are now changing.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Not really.

Entirely different circumstances. Circumstances that are now changing.

Yeah but there has been some poor UFA/UFA re-signing choices that haven’t panned out as well as you’d hope. 

Context matters but the end results remain the same. 

And in comparison to his RFA signings they do look a bit problematic due to how good the RFA signings have been. 

37 minutes ago, wallstreetamigo said:

I am not a Benning basher. Not a fan of his though anddislike many of his contracts. But nothing to complain about with this deal. Fair market value for a starter, good term, and a good fit with the teams future cap. Could be a steal if Demko becomes that Vezina worthy guy we all hope he will but at worst it is good. Good signing imo.

I know. If only Benning and the rest of us had hindsight vision like you, then we could all be geniuses like you. 

6 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Yeah but there has been some poor UFA/UFA re-signing choices that haven’t panned out as well as you’d hope. 

Context matters but the end results remain the same. 

And in comparison to his RFA signings they do look a bit problematic due to how good the RFA signings have been. 

Beyond Eriksson? Not really. Unless we're talking injuries here? 

Just now, Patrik Laine said:

I know. If only Benning and the rest of us had hindsight vision like you, then we could all be geniuses like you. 

Its not hindsight though, its foresight. The bad contracts he has signed were pretty clearly bad contracts the minute they were signed for various reasons.

Eriksson at 6 years, Beagle and Roussel at 4 years, all for premium UFA dollars and with trade protection included. Holtby was pretty redundant when they could have signed a less expensive backup and kept Toffoli or Tanev.

Not necessarily bad players but not worth what they got especially in term. The chain reaction cost the team better veteran players that actually moved the needle.

• Cheers 1

One can only assume Benning threw in a 2nd round pick as part of the deal?

:emot-parrot:

Also, does Demko get ventilated for 6 goals tonight to get everyone freaking out?  That would definitely be a Canucks thing to happen.

Edited by Provost
  • Haha 1