The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Thatcher Demko

1 hour ago, N7Nucks said:

5x5, damn. Really good deal. Was hoping for 6x6 but 5x5 is very good as well. If not better. He'll be 30/31 when it expires. So the next contract will potentially be the scary one. 5x5 is very friendly for us. Good term, great dollar. Especially for what he's given us. He's been similar to what Marky was for us the last 2 years. I love this deal.

And that will be a good window for the club to see if MDP is a legit NHL goalie. I’m proud of how this franchise has moved on from the goalie graveyard in a big way. A streak that goes:Luongo,Schneider,Lack,

Miller,Markstrom,Demko and MDP. 15 seasons of stable goaltending. Deep in net, now just have to hope we keep Ian Clark.

Edited by EP Phone Home
  • Cheers 1

58 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

About time Canucks stop handing them out like candy on Xmas.

I read somewhere yesterday that Canucks have the most NTC/NMC contracts in the entire NHL.

JB should do same with Hughes and EP.  Both those guys know they're not getting traded... Just like Demko knows. Sets a good precedent for rest of team to not demand NTC/NMC when the star players don't have them. 

11 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Beyond Eriksson? Not really. Unless we're talking injuries here? 

Nah. Just a lot of deals that could have been done differently. 

Examples being give guys like Sutter/Beagle/Roussel a year less. Give Virtanen a 1 year show me deal instead of a 2 year deal. Not hand out as many clauses. 

Minor details that would have a significant effect on perhaps last off-season and definitely this upcoming one. 

You only can give a GM so much benefit of the doubt in the professional sports industry. At the end of the day you have to be judged by the results of how you do your job. In some aspects JB has gotten good results and in others not so much. 

Hindsight is 20-20 though so meh. In the glorious words of Jared McCann “It is what it is”. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Provost said:

I am surprised by the term.  I was expecting a 2-3 year bridge deal for less dollars.  Goaltending is a fickle position, it many guys maintain a great level of play for long periods of time, so there is certainly risk.... especially if an Ian Clark signing isn’t also forthcoming.

Having said that, there is so much potential upside, that it would be tough not to make this deal.  If Demko plays like playoff Demko and the way he has played the last month or so... we could have a regular Vezina finalist for the price of a mid-range starter.

It also helps put a cap on Petterson and Hughes contracts since there is less money to go around now (and with more than $9 million set aside for the goalie position next year).  Savvy to do it that way.

I now fully expect Holtby to be traded or bought out once expansion is done.

Yes to the general scenarios but considering TD is only RFA for two more years, it doesn't make sense for the sort of bridge you are asking for. 

• Vintage 2

4 hours ago, Jimmy McGill said:

So happy, 5x5 was what I was hoping for. 

Was what i was thinking on a long term deal too.   Glad we can put this one to bed.   Felt 4 x 3 would be fair, going into  UFA years makes this work for the team and Demko.  On to EP and or QHs! 

• Cheers 1

16 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Examples being give guys like Sutter/Beagle/Roussel a year less. Give Virtanen a 1 year show me deal instead of a 2 year deal. Not hand out as many clauses. 

Minor details that would have a significant effect on perhaps last off-season and definitely this upcoming one. 

You only can give a GM so much benefit of the doubt in the professional sports industry. At the end of the day you have to be judged by the results of how you do your job. In some aspects JB has gotten good results and in others not so much. 

Hindsight is 20-20 though so meh. In the glorious words of Jared McCann “It is what it is”. 

And then we don't get those guys.

Fact is that management and ownership agreed on said plan to overpay to attract those free agents here for a reason. Largely, they've played to the expectations they had as players when signed. 'Overpaid' or not. Whether people like the plan or not.

And again, the circumstances of those signings is massively changed. People ignoring that is why there's all this silly fear.

Virtanen had an 18 and 18 season. He was getting that money and term anywhere. Two years is a 'show me' deal at this stage, it only sucks because he's having a down year.

The only contract of any significant consequence that people can hang on Benning is Eriksson.

Edited by aGENT
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, FlyLow_ said:

I like to think this will work out, but I was hoping we'd learned from paying players before they've proved themselves. Not even a full season as a starter.

Pray tell, who exactly had JB payed for that hasn't proved themselves?   UFA's don't count (they already proved themselves)...so think carefully before replying.   If you say Bear then i'd suggest reading the posts about that when he was signed, the vast majority felt it was fine, he's the only one i can think of as far as RFA's go; and didn't JB just buy some UFA years from Demko too?    Way too early to declare this a good or bad thing. 

• Cheers 1

13 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I remember when we signed Beagle and Roussel I was saying term is 1 year too long and ppl snapped at me on here. Some pointed to how Beagle is a workout freak and will play great for many more years..

Me being a big Caps fan and watching most of their games knew exactly what type of player he was. 

Term was too long but it was difficult to attract UFAs to Vancouver. We were a bottom feeder team so had to overpay salary or term or both. 

Going forward Canucks are a good exciting team with young talent. It'll be easier to attract talent to a team that has chance to win a cpl playoff rounds. 

• Vintage 1

27 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I read somewhere yesterday that Canucks have the most NTC/NMC contracts in the entire NHL.

JB should do same with Hughes and EP.  Both those guys know they're not getting traded... Just like Demko knows. Sets a good precedent for rest of team to not demand NTC/NMC when the star players don't have them. 

You read this on the site.   Didn't go into any details on how "modified " these clauses were, from a NMC perspective we are pretty golden, same with NTC...context and lens matters.   Who cares about Edler and LE.   

6 minutes ago, WHL rocks said:

I remember when we signed Beagle and Roussel I was saying term is 1 year too long and ppl snapped at me on here. Some pointed to how Beagle is a workout freak and will play great for many more years..

Me being a big Caps fan and watching most of their games knew exactly what type of player he was. 

Term was too long but it was difficult to attract UFAs to Vancouver. We were a bottom feeder team so had to overpay salary or term or both. 

Going forward Canucks are a good exciting team with young talent. It'll be easier to attract talent to a team that has chance to win a cpl playoff rounds. 

I recall most people agreeing that the terms were one year longer than 'ideal' but recognizing that without them, we don't get the players.

• Cheers 3

1 minute ago, aGENT said:

And then we don't get those guys.

Fact is that management and ownership agreed on said plan to overpay to attract those free agents here for a reason. Largely, they've played to the expectations they had as players when signed. 'Overpaid' or not. Whether people like the plan or not.

And again, the circumstances of those signings is massively changed.

Virtanen had an 18 and 18 season. He was getting that money and term anywhere. Two years is a 'show me' deal at this stage, it only sucks because he's having a down year.

The only contract of any significant consequence that people can hang on Benning is Eriksson.

Perhaps. Could have possibly done things differently as well. 

Also weren’t you in agreement of Roussel/Beagle being 1 year too much. I thought I remembered you stating that somewhere but I am uncertain of that. Not that it matters anyway. 

Like I said the end results are what ultimately . Even if COVID didn’t happened we’d still be feeling the effects of these contracts for the next couple years till these contracts are almost all gone. 

Virtanen had 1 breakout season. I would have pushed for just a single season like they did with Gaudette(who did have no RFA rights however). 

It is what it is though. Can’t afford anymore of these contracts though I don’t expect us to have cap to sign a significant UFA till the core is locked up and the contracts we have expire. 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, Junkyard Dog said:

Perhaps. Could have possibly done things differently as well. 

Also weren’t you in agreement of Roussel/Beagle being 1 year too much. I thought I remembered you stating that somewhere but I am uncertain of that. Not that it matters anyway. 

Like I said the end results are what ultimately . Even if COVID didn’t happened we’d still be feeling the effects of these contracts for the next couple years till these contracts are almost all gone. 

Virtanen had 1 breakout season. I would have pushed for just a single season like they did with Gaudette(who did have no RFA rights however). 

It is what it is though. Can’t afford anymore of these contracts though I don’t expect us to have cap to sign a significant UFA till the core is locked up and the contracts we have expire. 

Like I said:

8 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I recall most people agreeing that the terms were one year longer than 'ideal' but recognizing that without them, we don't get the players.

Long and the short of it is that our only real problem, is the Eriksson contract. The rest boils down to a bunch of (LOUD) whinging about small potato management strategies that some people don't agree with.

Edited by aGENT
  • Vintage 2

3 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

There will be several better and in some cases cheaper goalie options available to Seattle. The way Holtby has played and the other players Van may have to expose, the chance is minimal they take Holtby unfortunately.

I don't disagree with you now with how the season has gone. But there was logical optimism that he would improve on the last year or two and be proper expansion bate. In the end it make next year tougher, but not a giant deal in the long term, was worth adding the second year for that hope. It was also protection in case Demko couldn't be the starter yet. Hindsight is 20/20 but this is at least a move you can see the logic behind it, it just didn't play out as well as we hoped.

1 hour ago, WHL rocks said:

Yes true we have 11 and Toronto has 10.

It's time to sign ian clark 2×5 

• Upvote 1