The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

2 hours ago, wallstreetamigo said:

For me it comes down to a lack of operational efficiency and that there is a reason other NHL teams expand the leadership to include more than 2 voices. Dissenting and varied input are important parts of effective management decision making. Makes it easier to avoid mistakes because 2 guys think the same way or view the risk similarly.

1 GM, 2 assistant GMs and 2 senior advisors make up the management group. I count 5 voices. Jim Benning, John Weisbrod, Chris Gear, Doug Jarvis, and Dan Smyl.

In terms of amateur scouting you have roughly 25 voices. Player decisions roughly 12 including pro scouts.  

According to rumors, the Canucks are looking to further expand that group. Sedins in in advisory roles, perhaps this will be across the organization. I could see them dabbeling in player development with the help of Ryan Johnson, skills coaches, strength coaches and such.

Also rumors about the Canucks hiring a president of hockey ops. Hopefully we also hire an Ian Clark (trying to stay somewhat on topic).  

Stop claiming things that are untrue to push your agenda. Find a way to make your point without it. 

EDIT: I highly recommend you (and anyone else) take a listen to this interview with Weisbrod. It gives a little insight to the Canucks approach to their scouting department. One thing I noted was the importance of having a mix of voices within scouting. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playbook/john-weisbrod-canucks-approach-drafting-developing-players/

Edited by DeltaSwede
  • Like 1
  • Cheers 1

30 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

1 GM, 2 assistant GMs and 2 senior advisors make up the management group. I count 5 voices. Jim Benning, John Weisbrod, Chris Gear, Doug Jarvis, and Dan Smyl.

In terms of amateur scouting you have roughly 25 voices. Player decisions roughly 12 including pro scouts.  

According to rumors, the Canucks are looking to further expand that group. Sedins in in advisory roles, perhaps this will be across the organization. I could see them dabbeling in player development with the help of Ryan Johnson, skills coaches, strength coaches and such.

Also rumors about the Canucks hiring a president of hockey ops. Hopefully we also hire an Ian Clark (trying to stay somewhat on topic).  

Stop claiming things that are untrue to push your agenda. Find a way to make your point without it. 

EDIT: I highly recommend you (and anyone else) take a listen to this interview with Weisbrod. It gives a little insight to the Canucks approach to their scouting department. One thing I noted was the importance of having a mix of voices within scouting. 

https://www.sportsnet.ca/650/the-playbook/john-weisbrod-canucks-approach-drafting-developing-players/

why do that when you can just parrot drance and burke and dayal and whatever other wannabes comprise the canucks' pseudo-beat? 

know-nothings arrogant enough to try to tell the pros how to do their jobs when they don't even have a clue how to do their own.

• Cheers 3

Latest I've heard on the Clarke situation is that they are stuck on the term of the contract. Canucks want the contract to coincide with Bennings and Greens (aka 2 year extension). Clarke wants longer apparently. Why not do a 2 year with an optional extension? 

This has been reported by Thomas Drance. Does this guy actually have sources that are legit? I have feeling I have read some of his insider stuff lately and hes been quite off in his reporting and what then ends up happening. Correct me if I am wrong here. 

22 minutes ago, DeltaSwede said:

Latest I've heard on the Clarke situation is that they are stuck on the term of the contract. Canucks want the contract to coincide with Bennings and Greens (aka 2 year extension). Clarke wants longer apparently. Why not do a 2 year with an optional extension? 

This has been reported by Thomas Drance. Does this guy actually have sources that are legit? I have feeling I have read some of his insider stuff lately and hes been quite off in his reporting and what then ends up happening. Correct me if I am wrong here. 

Sign him for a 5 year term,  I guess we going full tank mode with all this coaches.  Heard they gonna sign Curtis Sanford for cheap

4 hours ago, DeltaSwede said:

he's a wannabe journalist with no journalism education and a wannabe statistical analyst with no statistics education.

I consider his input to be on the the same level as anybody else on cdc.

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

10 minutes ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

excellent news.

I wonder what narrative the pseudo-media rabble-rousers are going to use to try to encourage fans to chant anti-benning nonsense next season after he completes an excellent offseason. 

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

sad thing is, you're not even making a joke there. 

I am not. I understand than Hughes and Myers complimented Nolan on his work this week, but watching games and seeing the vast inconsistency from game to game led me to believe that there was something systemically wrong with how the entire defense approached play in their own end. I don't think I'm alone in that regard either.

• Cheers 3
  • Vintage 1

2 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

I am not. I understand than Hughes and Myers complimented Nolan on his work this week, but watching games and seeing the vast inconsistency from game to game led me to believe that there was something systemically wrong with how the entire defense approached play in their own end. I don't think I'm alone in that regard either.

Yup. 

Its not this simplistic I know, but why does it look like they employ the exact same system defensively, when they are 5 on 5, as they do on the PK?  Even though they have a man to man match, they seem to still just back off, not all the time but enough to be concerning, and skate back to form a tight static box in front of the goal, allowing the other team to get most rebounds as they pass the puck around the perimeter giving them time to set up a great shot. And then because they are so static, they miss the next rebound recovery to the team that is skating and active, and....repeat.  

Even for the PK, I know its important to not skate out of position and risk being deeked out, and left behind watching a good shot happen. But from my eye test watching the NHL in my years, one of the improvements never talked about much is that players have gotten better and better with stick checking other players off the puck.  I think coaches today, are practising that much more than they did decades ago.  And that teams that employ a more attacking style on the PK are more successful.  You risk being caught out, but most times you discombobulate (excuse to use that word) opponents, causing them to flub the puck and their pass attempt, leading to a turnover. 

I'm available Greener!

• Vintage 1

1 hour ago, kilgore said:

Yup. 

Its not this simplistic I know, but why does it look like they employ the exact same system defensively, when they are 5 on 5, as they do on the PK?  Even though they have a man to man match, they seem to still just back off, not all the time but enough to be concerning, and skate back to form a tight static box in front of the goal, allowing the other team to get most rebounds as they pass the puck around the perimeter giving them time to set up a great shot. And then because they are so static, they miss the next rebound recovery to the team that is skating and active, and....repeat.  

Even for the PK, I know its important to not skate out of position and risk being deeked out, and left behind watching a good shot happen. But from my eye test watching the NHL in my years, one of the improvements never talked about much is that players have gotten better and better with stick checking other players off the puck.  I think coaches today, are practising that much more than they did decades ago.  And that teams that employ a more attacking style on the PK are more successful.  You risk being caught out, but most times you discombobulate (excuse to use that word) opponents, causing them to flub the puck and their pass attempt, leading to a turnover. 

I'm available Greener!

That's the problem.  Hughes especially struggles in this system because it takes away his ability to utilize his speed defensively.  I'd love to see us put more pressure on the other team and try to generate turnovers.  This would also help generate more scoring chances in transition.

• Cheers 1
  • RoughGame 1

10 minutes ago, oldnews said:

if it's true that Clark is back - he's really letting down banner and smarm nations - after they had so much faith in him.

and all based on one off the cuff interview with a friggin' goalie magazine guy who was basing everything on perceived track record with no actual knowledge of the situation. 

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

2 hours ago, tas said:

I'll be curious to see which is the first international competition to feature demko starting for the americans vs dipietro starting for canada.

Hopefully not the Worlds as I'd prefer us to be a playoff team by that point.

• Vintage 1