The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Ian Clark must be a priority

Rate this topic

smokes

7 hours ago, WHL rocks said:

I dont know. He spent 7 yrs here. Left for several yrs and came back. He's gotta like the city and the fact he has a great, young, big game goalie in Demko. That's gotta be enticing.

Allaire had Patrick Roy  Hasek had Mitch Korn. 

The way Demko looked under pressure having to come in for an injured Marky in last year's playoffs. That was an amazing performance. He's been playing great again this season albeit a slow start. 

On top of all that we have a great young group of talent on D and especially at forward.  

I dont think Clark should want to leave this situation. We'll find out. Thats what makes sports fun.

just because you like a city or even love a city doesn't mean that him and/or his familiy wants/needs a change in scenery. maybe his significant other got a job offer in another city, or wants his kid to go to the best private school in the US. maybe he hates his significant others mom, and is looking to get away.

• Haha 2
  • RoughGame 1

9 hours ago, smokes said:

After Demko signing for 5 years, the Canucks need to lock up Ian Clark. He is by far the best goaltending coach the Canucks have had. If Benning can't keep him then I just give up. Bennign has just let too many good people go. 

They'll be fine if he doesn't come back.  Only canucks fans would teeter on the ledge over a goalie coach

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1
  • Vintage 1

16 hours ago, smokes said:

I would consider Benning to be the worst GM since Keenan if Clark does not come back.

Rediculou post...Do you not remember when Benning got hire the prospects we had?? Horvat

Horvat - Shinkaruk - Cassels - Subban -- Gaunce--- Hutton -- Jensen --- Corrado -- Grenier -- Schroeder - Rodin..

Roster

Sedins 50 -47 point -- Kesler 47 -- Higgins 39 -- Hanen 20 --Burrows 15-- Team was bad

Benning had to add some vests  quick.

Sutter -- Vey- look great at time -- Dorsetts

McCann 19- Virtanen 19 played to young but they had to with not much talent on team and Sedins getting old....

Propects since Benning took over..

Petterssosn - Hughes - Boeser - -Demko --Podkolzin - Hoglander - Virtanen - Gaudette - Juolevi - Rathbone --Diepietro - Lind - Gadjovich--  Woo--Tryamkin- 

McCann - Traaded -- Lockwood - Jasek - Mcdonough - Brieboise -- Chatfield--  -- 2020 - Jurmo -Persson

Added key player in trades--- Miller top 4 forward --- Schmidt - Top 2 D man  --Motte -- Pearson 21 goals last season -- Hamonic..

All managers make some bad trades....

Glad he never signed  31 yr old Markstom 6 X 6 million ---- Tanov 31 -- 4 X 4 million 

Should of signed Taffoli  -- Happened 3rd daay of UFA  signings....

Team has some great young talent ..Top 10 team by 2023 season   

Future is good..GO CANUCK GO!

Edited by wildcam

I really like how Ian Clark has worked with Marktrom -- Demko -- Dipietro....Clark also  has worked well developing other goalie..

We don't know but is Ian Clark asking for something ownership  don't think i realistic ? We don't know? Maybe he want to be closer to home in Florida??

So many different factors we don't know? This is when rumours start..

Would like to see Green and Clark re signed ....

How much do top goalie coach make now? Use to be well below the assistant coaches salary...Think that has changed?

10 hours ago, 24K PureCool said:

Malholtra got a promotion with the leafs that he ain't gonna get this season. How is that driving someone out?

Brackett made demands that were unrealistic for a GM from a scouting background, he made his own bed on that one.

Linden was fired or resigned with Aqua being his boss, not really on JB there. I actually would be more impressed with someone driving their boss out.

Gilman was fired under Linden's watch.

So really the only one that you can argue JB drove out was Brackett.

Brackett  was a amateur scout for Vancouver in 2014 when Benning took over...Benning alway hd final say.

Brackett after 4 years wanted full control..Glad Benning let him go...

• Vintage 1

2 hours ago, drummerboy said:

So Clark doesn’t get a choice?  
lol.  
So dramatic 

The entirety of professional sports is ritualistic slavery anyhow: owners, drafts, trading, heh.

So, it's no wonder that people 'get into' a particular mindset.

12 hours ago, smokes said:

After Demko signing for 5 years, the Canucks need to lock up Ian Clark. He is by far the best goaltending coach the Canucks have had. If Benning can't keep him then I just give up. Bennign has just let too many good people go. 

So Judd Brackett left for personal reasons, and scouting department hasnt missed a beat.  David Quadrelli has reported that Curtis Sanford is basically Clark's protege- so if Clark DID leave, you'd still have capable people that can fill the void.  

Wake up and smell the roses-people leave organizations all the time.  It's a natural part of business.

• Like 1
  • Vintage 2

This is likely being actively worked on, some contracts move faster than others, and there's a lot of things that may be negotiating points including how much Clark has to travel to Utica etc, as part of his duties. There's still a LOT of time to do this.

2 hours ago, wildcam said:

Rediculou post...Do you not remember when Benning got hire the prospects we had?? Horvat

Horvat - Shinkaruk - Cassels - Subban -- Gaunce--- Hutton -- Jensen --- Corrado -- Grenier -- Schroeder - Rodin..

Roster

Sedins 50 -47 point -- Kesler 47 -- Higgins 39 -- Hanen 20 --Burrows 15-- Team was bad

Benning had to add some vests  quick.

Sutter -- Vey- look great at time -- Dorsetts

McCann 19- Virtanen 19 played to young but they had to with not much talent on team and Sedins getting old....

Propects since Benning took over..

Petterssosn - Hughes - Boeser - -Demko --Podkolzin - Hoglander - Virtanen - Gaudette - Juolevi - Rathbone --Diepietro - Lind - Gadjovich--  Woo--Tryamkin- 

McCann - Traaded -- Lockwood - Jasek - Mcdonough - Brieboise -- Chatfield--  -- 2020 - Jurmo -Persson

Added key player in trades--- Miller top 4 forward --- Schmidt - Top 2 D man  --Motte -- Pearson 21 goals last season -- Hamonic..

All manager make some bad trades....

Glad he never signed  31 yr old Markstom 6 X 6 million ---- Tanov 31 -- 4 X 4 million 

Should of signed Taffoli  -- Happaed 3rd daay of UFA  signings....

Team has some great young talent ..Top 10 team by 2023 season   

Future is good..GO CANUCK GO!

You want vests you got 'em

download.jpg.25cf0c56a67c93a03d2822a4478bd527.jpg

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

This is likely being actively worked on, some contracts move faster than others, and there's a lot of things that may be negotiating points including how much Clark has to travel to Utica etc, as part of his duties. There's still a LOT of time to do this.

:ph34r: Maybe Demko could throw in a few bucks. 

• Cheers 1

15 hours ago, smokes said:

What makes you think it's not?

The fact that Clark can choose his own path and doesn't have to stay with the Canucks.

It's a false sense of self-entitlement to expect Clark to stay. Imagine if you had a job that you liked but wanted to go somewhere else for a change of place and then got told that the company and clients of the company "expected" you to stay. That's effectively how you're treating Clark at the moment.

Don't get me wrong. I want him to stay too, and I hope he does, but I'm not going to call it a disaster if he doesn't.

Edited by The Lock
  • Like 1
  • Vintage 2

1 hour ago, buddhahoodlum said:

You want vests you got 'em

download.jpg.25cf0c56a67c93a03d2822a4478bd527.jpg

Only the truth...Benning  -  Grade B = second best GM in history of Vancouver...Future prospect pool is the best in Canuck history....

Your blue vest, lol..need more green on it...

1.Pat Quinn

2. Jim Benning

3 Maybe Burke -- He drafted the twins if nothing else 

Edited by wildcam

On 4/1/2021 at 3:04 AM, brownky said:

Or maybe he's got his eyes on another franchise with a promising prospect that he'd like to take a stab at. Like a guy with shattered confidence but clearly has the tools to get better.

Like Carter Hart.

Or somebody unknown. I'd find it difficult to imagine he wouldn't get offered a deal, but he might just want a new/different challenge somewhere else regardless of what is on the table. Some people live for the challenge because they're set 'enough' by whatever they get... it won't be "poor house" money anyway.

Knight in Florida plus Bob.    Or maybe he's thinking it's time to hunker in and help Brayden get his game back and work with Demko.   OR maybe he's trying to negotiate a ridiculous legacy third contract type deal right now and ownership has zero stomach for paying a coach that sort of money?   It's not like Holtby has stolen a game yet is it?  Maybe, just maybe, both Markstrom and Demko would have done just as well, or even better with a different coach.    We know nothing.   Holtby was supposed to get back to normal, hasn't happened yet had it (sp in the .920 plus area like it was during his peak years).      Coaching is considered something it really isn't on this site for some reason.   Like miracles happen depending on who's running the show.   Most of it comes down to the players at this level.   Coaches won't teach them anything new.   With goalies yes there is some evidence to say that goalie whisperers exist, Kron leading the pack.    Who was Luongo's coach anyways?   lol.      Head coaches biggest tool is ice time.  95% of what happens during a game relies on that, TG has done a decent to good job with that because he's allowed the kids to play...if anything too much in QHs case when we are chasing a game and we end up getting burned, aside from that .... well even that how else are we supposed to catch up?    

On 4/1/2021 at 5:09 PM, The Lock said:

The fact that Clark can choose his own path and doesn't have to stay with the Canucks.

It's a false sense of self-entitlement to expect Clark to stay. Imagine if you had a job that you liked but wanted to go somewhere else for a change of place and then got told that the company and clients of the company "expected" you to stay. That's effectively how you're treating Clark at the moment.

Don't get me wrong. I want him to stay too, and I hope he does, but I'm not going to call it a disaster if he doesn't.

christoph waltz bingo GIF